HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2007, 01:52 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Discussion
Team30 Micro EDF T-45 BAE Hawk

I have been having a great time building a 14" wingspan BAE Hawk as my current project. It has been fitted with micro servo's (3.7g type), stripped down ESC and a lightened 36Mhz - 4ch Rxer. Lipo is a Hyperion 300mah 20C 2 cell which really gives the motor all it needs. Depron is 1.67mm stuff I have had for a while now. The 30mm Ducted Fan Unit is driven by a test motor so no final specs on that yet other than it's a 10mm inrunner.
Tests so far have had me do a fair few little changes or tweaks and a fair few repairs too! It seemed to think it was a lawn dart during the first few test flights.

It was the first time I got around to making a canopy plug and form a plastic canopy, so another fun bridge crossed.

Here is the completed EDF30 BAE Hawk model minus its insignia's which are yet to be applied:

Final test flights have been postponed due to wet and windy weather.

I am also half way though constructing a pusher prop version (which means I finally get to put my 4g brushless homebrew motor on something interesting) so I can have an indoors version too.

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Last edited by NitroCharged; Sep 05, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2007, 05:52 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Finally! I have been waiting for this thread

Very nice model. Can't wait for a flight report. BTW, canopy material can by found in copy shops, at least here in Germany. Not the transparencies to print on, but the cover material for booklets. Works perfectly...

Chris
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old May 22, 2007, 06:15 AM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
Wow - what a beauty, respect! Interesting to see how the electronics sit in the mid of the stream. Does the geometry of this "insert" play a large role, how did you plan it? I am not in EDFs therefore this may sound stupid, but I would like to understand. The carbon rod goes trough the CG?

Thread is subscribed and best wishes for the maiden
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr
Old May 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Finally! I have been waiting for this thread

Chris
amen! the suspence was killing me

looks great, nitro, very clean. you think it'll be too quick for a large gym for some indoor flying? then again, grass is a lot more forgiving on the nose in those first trial tests than hardwood floors

looking forward to seeing her in the air, and more info too, that little EDF is a beauty.

nice work!

nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old May 22, 2007, 03:18 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
848 Posts
Hi Dave!

Very beautiful work as always. What is the AUW?
What will be the AUW for indoor pusher version and wing loading?

Frank.
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Last edited by indoor_fr; May 22, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old May 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
Bethpage Grumman, New York, United States
Joined Nov 2002
2,145 Posts
There you go!
Beautiful work as always, that is really sharp!
mike glass is offline Find More Posts by mike glass
Old May 22, 2007, 10:00 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Thanks Chris - good tip for a source. Mike Glass offered to send some over but his generousity kinda overwhelms me and I feel awkward accepting stuff from him. (You're just such a nice guy Mike ).

I had to place the electronics there as I misjudged the physical size of this thing and the fuse ended up a smidge thinner where I wanted to put the DF unit so it came way forward which means the gear had to come back and that seemed the perfect spot. The CF rod is just where I thought most of the strain would be - and I was right. The pusher version has CF rod the entire length of the wing this time.

AUW on this one is a little over 60g. The AUW of the pusher version is already 8g lighter so we'll see what the final result will be as I am using even lighter gear again this time around. (scored some great stuff off ebay for 99 cents etc.) Not sure about the wing loading yet.

This will definitely be too quick for a gym (especially the size of the indoors events locally) and that's why the pusher version is getting made. Winter is almost here and indoors is drawing me in again so away we go!

Here's the pusher version - I got the 4g BL motor mounted nicely at the rear (3x2 GWS prop attached). I had to stop there as I need the slow CA to really set well as I am going to do an AFT tail (full tail motion) and I need the motor mount to hold some parts for the rods of each tail so no wobbling while I line things up.

Old May 22, 2007, 11:03 PM
Duane Cruz
Osan AB Korea
Joined Feb 2007
179 Posts
OUTSTANDING JOB, Nitro! I'm really impressed! So what type of DF is that. I haven't seen anyone make one that little without having to make it themselves.

Good luck on the test and talk to you later,

Duane
Duane Cruz is offline Find More Posts by Duane Cruz
Old May 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
Bethpage Grumman, New York, United States
Joined Nov 2002
2,145 Posts
Dave,
Don't be getting all warm and fuzzy on me

I just enjoy helping good people!

Mike
mike glass is offline Find More Posts by mike glass
Old May 24, 2007, 02:23 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Nitro,

Truly stunning - love every photo of it!

Now, I need to do something similar

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old May 24, 2007, 08:16 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Nice photo...
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old May 24, 2007, 05:27 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,639 Posts
Hi,
Very nice Nitro! And an excellent canopy!

You should be getting about 50 grams of thrust so it should fly at 60+ AUW. The fan will do 57 grams out of a plane. You'll loose a little from the ducting but it should still be around 50, at least for the first minute or so of running. My pico bandit flew well on 40 grams thrust and an AUW of almost 60 so you should be good.

Did you make templates or a plan. I never was too keen on the Hawk but yours has me wanting one.
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old May 24, 2007, 06:38 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yes, I have them in adobe Illustrator at the moment. A few pieces are a little incorrect and I have to trim once glued to the model so a little tweaking to be done still.

I was all revved up to get out there and have a test this morning as the sun was out and it felt very crisp but the wind was already up too. Tommorrow is looking very promising. I'll run out for a quick test before heading off (if wifey willing to give me a pass out) to the Jet Action Weekend at Monarto Flying Club here in South Australia.
Old May 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,930 Posts
how early is early nitro,
I have a fully charged camera waiting
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old May 24, 2007, 10:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
As long as I beat the wind Rob

Based on previous tests you may either capture a nice little airborne jet or a very expensive lawn dart in action once again!

I have been seeking guidance this week from fellow RCG'ers on the best way to get this up to speed on launch as there is nothing to hang on to under the model.