HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2007, 05:43 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Discussion
Tired of shorts? New stator coating from CustomCDR.

I know many people get frusterated winding motors when they encounter shorts (me included!), so we decided to look into options to completely elimate shorts from our vocabulary. After quite a bit of research and experimentation we finally have a bullet proof solution.

We (CustomCDR) are now set up to apply a special powder coating to any size shape or type of stator. The coating itself is not particularly new, I am sure many of you have seen this green coating before when you open up the occasional cd-rom or other motor, but as far as I know we are the first in this industry that can (or are willing to) apply it in very small quantities. We have been playing around A LOT with application techniques and finally have it dialed in.

There are several advantages to both this coating and our application technique. First and foremost is no shorts whatsoever, no matter how hard you pull on the wire. Another plus is that we can very finely control how thick the coating is layed on. For our 16.5mm motors the coating is 0.25-0.5mm thick and is still completely short free. The inner hole and outer teeth get masked prior to coating to prevent any coating there.

We are obviously using this coating on our 16.5mm motors, but have also coated gobrushless 20mm stators, and can do prestacked doubles, triples, etc. No more dealing with those little endcaps.

Lastly, we can do essentially any stator out there, so if you find a perfect stator but have no way to insulate it, just let us know.

At this point this coating is integrated into our production 16.5mm motors, but right now we are testing the waters to see if anyone would be interested in just plain stators that have been prestacked or precoated such as the GB 20mm stators.

Let us know what you think, or feel free to add in any other suggestions.

Thanks,
-Ryan
ryanl2006 is offline Find More Posts by ryanl2006
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2007, 07:18 AM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
I would be interested in them,I have been tring to wind a 20mm triple and have about given up on it.Tried to add enamel on the stator and can't seem to get it on evenly.I would welcome it.
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old May 22, 2007, 07:38 AM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
well, sign me up for a triple 20mm (with the extra lams)
because the stack keeps falling apart on the wooden dowel and
I keep scratching the 22g wire when this happens.

Peter
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old May 22, 2007, 08:03 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
ryan - if you wanted precoated 20mm doubles you should have just asked.
ScubaSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaSteve
Old May 22, 2007, 08:25 AM
UT
Joined Oct 2004
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve

I thought we did..
morphs is offline Find More Posts by morphs
Old May 22, 2007, 08:53 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is it the electrostatic process or the hot part blow on type? We have both here at work and find that the electrostatic is easier to control. A bit messy, but otherwise OK. Like they used to say to the cannoneers, keep yuor powder dry
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old May 22, 2007, 10:57 AM
UT
Joined Oct 2004
1,624 Posts
It is applied by dipping the heated parts into a fluid bed filled with the powder.
morphs is offline Find More Posts by morphs
Old May 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
It sure is nice to have the right equipment.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old May 22, 2007, 12:50 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSt
Just out of curiosity, is it the electrostatic process or the hot part blow on type? We have both here at work and find that the electrostatic is easier to control. A bit messy, but otherwise OK. Like they used to say to the cannoneers, keep yuor powder dry

An interesting thing about this powder is that it can not be applied by electrostatic sprayed (at least thats what the manufacture says, we never tried it). It has be dipped in a fluid bed or preheated and sprayed.
Old May 22, 2007, 12:52 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Quote:

We did If I am remembering your words correctly, you said it would require a 'mold change' which was quite expensive and took a considerable amount of time. Now that we can do it ourselfs, it is fairly cheap, just involves labor(we have a basically unlimited supply of powder now...)

-Ryan
Old May 22, 2007, 01:10 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
How much for a triple stator ? and how fast can I get one

Peter
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old May 22, 2007, 01:34 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
ah well my memory is like someone's twice my age. the factory sent me one a few months ago - double 20mm w/ the familiar green slime coating.

either way, sounds like your powdercoating should be fun, although messy and time consuming.
ScubaSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaSteve
Old May 22, 2007, 01:48 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964
How much for a triple stator ? and how fast can I get one

Peter

I am working on a price now, they will obviously be more then 3 stators + 2 laminations, but I want to keep them reasonable, less then $10 for a triple.

I am building some triple ones now. The only problem is that the glue that is used for stacking takes 24hours to dry (it has to be able to withstand 400 degrees so it is some pretty intense epoxy). I should be able to post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old May 22, 2007, 01:51 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Quote:
ah well my memory is like someone's twice my age. the factory sent me one a few months ago - double 20mm w/ the familiar green slime coating.

either way, sounds like your powdercoating should be fun, although messy and time consuming.

Time consuming? Well yes it takes a while to figure out how to do it.

Messy? No not really. If you use a fluid bed it is all contained within a 'box.'
Old May 22, 2007, 04:25 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,673 Posts
Ryan, I could use a 3 stack(~6mm) and a 5stack(~10mm) of 12T 25mm GB stators. I always seem to short through the enamel coating. I think I have some of the older uncoated stators too.

Morris
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM