Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 21, 2007, 01:41 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake Farman Moustique

After a lengthy period with no serious balsa-bashing, Peter suggested I might like to tackle something fairly simple but in a size that I prefer. His suggestion was this 48" Farman F450 'Moustique' - one of the earliest ultra-lights.
If Pete reads this thread, I'll let him fill you in on the background to the type.

The model is something of a mixture - a post WW1 monoplane with wire braced wings and ailerons, a tiny 2 cylinder horizontally opposed engine (although some variants had 4 cylinders) and a rather distinctive undercarriage arrangement.

I dont know what scale This model is but imagine around 1/6.

At 1200mm span and about 1000mm length, it is not a kitchen table job (at least not my kitchen table) but is a very simple build. Power suggested by Peter is a small 'bell'-style motor - about 400/480 equivalent. I have not thought about batteries or props yet - I'll work out a scale prop size and see what suits. The motor looks tiny!

Being a non-military plane, almost any scheme would be appropriate - who would argue! Bright red is popular but as an alternative, I believe some were used by the military - I need to do more research.

Some pictures of the real plane and the contents of the Manzano kit - all major parts including a simple but effective dummy 2 cylinder motor.

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; May 21, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2007, 06:39 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,253 Posts
I'll be watching this one Pat. There are so many FF plans for the mosquitoes and I've always thought they'd make a nice relaxed flyer.
bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old May 21, 2007, 06:54 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,639 Posts
Pat,
Glad you got the kit okay mate. There definitely shouldn't be anything there that will tax a builder of your calibre.

As regards the original, it was 7.2 metres span (making the model 5.9:1, close enough to 1/6 that it barely matters). The engine was a 35 hp Poinsard in this particular version.
As far as I'm aware, the type was intended for duration trials, along the lines of the Avro 560 (also on the 'must draw' list), rather than being a purpose built lightplane. However, at least five appear to have been built, registration for 1,4 and 5 being known. Whether they were all the 'long nose' version is another matter
Also as far as I'm aware, it was the Moustique 1 (not the 450 no1 refered to above, that IS the all red one - F-AONH) that carried military style markings. It wasn't a military aircraft, but was used by a government department for a while.
Somewhere amongst my reference, I did discover a couple of Moustique engine photos. Not that clear, but I'm happy to scan them for you if you'd like.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 21, 2007, 04:06 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
Thanks Pete - a picture of the engine would be nice but hardly essential!
The scale was important only to establish the size of the pilot and maybe an instrument or two.

Ok on the colours - if that few were made, this one was probably CDL? otherwise I'll make a fantasy scheme 'FARMAN' on the fuselage or something.

Charlie - nice kit - compliments to the chef! - I am still keeping all the 'Vicki's - quite a few in this box. One day I'll use some seriously somewhere!
Anyone wondering what a 'Vicki' is, ask Charlie

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old May 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,630 Posts
Pat,

If not for you Vicki would probably toss out all the 'spare' parts. She accepts your compliments as well. Thanks.

Pete,

Pat's note brought up a scale issue. What scale is the MO-1? I thought it was similar in size to the other WWI and early stuff. Then I saw a pic of the real one It was kinda BIG!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 21, 2007, 05:33 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,639 Posts
Pat,
They may have been many colours, but CDL is definitely not one of them. All red with white registration definitely IS one of them. It's certainly the one I envisioned anyway. That one we positively have documentation for.

Charlie,
IMSC, it's around 1/20 scale. Yes, it was a shade on the large side.

Pete
Old May 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
Thanks Pete - all red was the one I wanted! The only two BW photos I have show a whitish look but that could have red (not sure what film was used).

Any markings on the red version?

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2007, 05:57 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
First moves - fuselage frames

After having built a few of Peter's designs, one becomes deluded that you can anticipate the construction - even get inside the designers head (scary!).
"make up the front box, build up the rear frame, join them together..." Wrong!

Peter has given the Moustique nicely curved sides which I think will be best tackled as two complete sides which can then be assembled over the plan. Especially as the basic square frame has a flat top making accurate alignment over the plan easy.

The front sheet sections have a substantial curve into the nose and Charlie/Vicki has thoughtfully chosen a softer grade of balsa for these parts.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2007, 06:43 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,630 Posts
Thanks Pat, but, we usually have softer grade for everything now days Have even been accused of having wood that is too light

It is a bit of a bind. If I ask for light wood this is what I get. If I ask for med, I get heavy. So, we stick with the light stuff and let folks like Pete take it into account.

I have also been known to build Pete's with a one piece side

Red will look really good on this one. Nice choice(s).

charlie
Old May 21, 2007, 07:24 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,639 Posts
Pat,
Here's the three view I based the model on. As I'm sure you'll notice, I've shown both u/c spreaders as rigging points, they shouldn't be.
You'll also spot that the fuselage has been flattened out at the wing area. I figured that carving one curve (over the decking) into the root ribs was probably enough for most people.

Pete
Old May 21, 2007, 07:43 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
Here are a couple of photos courtesy of the 'net of other models of the F450. I expect I'll do a similar scheme.

What will the covering be? Litespan is certainly possible, a plstic film......perhaps

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2007, 09:51 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,630 Posts
Nice!.

Pat, Vicki says that you should decorate your new shop with all the "Vicki" pieces

The red litespan is just right for something like that. If too dull you could spray it with a light coat of gloss.

charlie
Old May 21, 2007, 11:41 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
Charlie - then red Litespan it may well be. Vickis as art? hmmmm.....

Here are the fuselage frames being assembled.

In order to take advantage of the flat upper surface of the frames, the formers with rounded tops will have to wait. They act as spacers OK though!

The nose shape is determined in plan by a liteply panel (it would be a motor mount plate in earlier times) and the firewall is a rectangle of ply squared up with the fuselage. The dummy motor mounts on this, hiding the little outrunner which will have a couple of degrees side and down-thrust.

A minor annoyance (at me, not the design ) is my inability to remember to make the side frames a bit longer than they show on the plan side view! On a model as big as this, the curvature of the sides shortens the frames by about 5mm - I keep forgetting! Maybe some dotted lines on the plan for people like me? I'll just add a bit of block later. Pete made the sheet parts for front long enough to cope with the curve and I noticed that!!! Must be age

I tacked the rear frame together with thin CA, but all the ply parts have been secured with PVA - and the CA joints redone with PVA. Liberal use of a square and lots of clamps should keep it all true.

Back to the HS129

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2007, 01:25 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
With the basic frame glue set, the ply formers F4,5 and 6 were put in place with PVA glue and clamped. Be careful to get F4 and F5 correct - they are very similar - F4 is the slightly taller one.

I forgot to mention previously I had marked on the inside of the side sheets, the positions of F4 and F5 - makes it much easier to get them lined up later.

Because these two formers will be visible through the cockpit opening, I sanded the laser burn marks off the viewable surfaces.

Peter, Charlie - I think the small 1/16" formers F7,8,9,10 didn't make the cut files. I dont see them on the parts drawing either. They are on the plan so I'll cut them by hand (I think I can manage that without cutting myself ). Plenty of spare wood on one of the 1/16" rib sheets.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; May 22, 2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:49 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,639 Posts
Oops, they're on there now.