HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2002, 07:52 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
why you should gear your glider and played with the cg location...

Hi all

I was pondering for quite a while if I should gear my elipsoid 2.8M.

It fly great with good climb with Mega 22/30/3 DD with 11x6 on 8 RC2400. AUW about 72oz. The thermal here sucks(much lesser), very rare you get a good one unless you fly around 12 noon with the hot sun. Usual flight time about 20 mins.

Finally, I plunked in for a model motor GB(Aircraft-Japan David) 2:1. Now it run on 14x9.5, wattmeter show about 225 watt/24amp = 50w/lbs. I also adjusted the CG about 1.5mm rearward ie tail heavier.

Now it climb slower and more graceful rather than frentic. But the best part is that its lower amp drawn. I can have about 8-9 climb and it will take about 4 mins to come down with no thermal. Because of CG adjustment, it fly a lot more slower(good for indicating thermal) and land a lot more gentle too. Yes!

I did not go all out in trying the setup but I can see the plane fly a lot more different. Its more graceful, all my buddies agreed too. After flying for about mins. I landed and I still have about 70% juice left. It may not sound much but I fly early when the sun barely warm the ground(it rain heavily 7 hrs earlier with puddles of water on the landing strip). So I think I hit it right!

Thanks to all those who share the idea of gearing and adjusting the CG advice.
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
to remove ads between posts