HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2007, 02:38 AM
Volta was revolting
Mount Annan, Sydney
Joined May 2006
1,508 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Convert a computer ATX power supply for bench work

Here are instructions on how to convert a computer ATX power supply so you can use it for bench work.

The conversion will provide sources for 24V; 17V, 12V, 10V, 7V, 5V and 3.3 V

It is said that you can also convert it to a variable power supply using a 317 IC which would be handy for foam cutting.

Are the instructions any good?

Well I followed them, and the thing work first time.

Costs:
1 x 10 ohm, 10W resistor from Jaycar $1.50
1 x 330 ohm 1/4W resistor 8cents
1 x LED 10 cents
1 x switch - about $1.50
6 x sockets & plug pairs @ $1.10 each
ATX computer power supply $55 unless you can harvest one from a dead computer

Old Man Emu
old man emu is offline Find More Posts by old man emu
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2007, 02:44 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
Great how to,
but guys be careful i have seen a few of these go up in smoke in the pits at a Rc car race meets

the wattages offered by some of these are very generous they are a cheap unit so buying a higher wattage PSU for the conversion and staying well below the max usage is a good idea
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
Old May 20, 2007, 07:19 AM
Only one more Honey
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
1,197 Posts
Why not just buy one of these for a few bucks more, might even be a little safer!

http://pldaniels.com/rcshop/frame.php?vp=PWR13V8-12A
bidlynd is offline Find More Posts by bidlynd
Old May 20, 2007, 07:52 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,918 Posts
No disrespect OME, but with your electronics experience, you might wanna put that thing in a terracotta pot now you built it
me_wantee is online now Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old May 20, 2007, 09:04 AM
electric convert
Jane Brook, Western Australia
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
Also if you can get an AT power supply they are a bit better as the have a proper on and off switch on it.

Cheers Joel
joel231 is offline Find More Posts by joel231
Old May 20, 2007, 05:49 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi
What sort of amperages will that set up put out ?.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old May 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
Plummet Airlines
Perth Western Australia
Joined Feb 2004
878 Posts
Cheap Autos sell car battery chargers around $20 plus. The one I have outputs 12v DC 4 amps. Tested it and current is correct and steady. For me its a cheap power pack.
Craig Mckinley is online now Find More Posts by Craig Mckinley
Old May 20, 2007, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
I do electronics for work and i had to build a power supply. Honestly i would rather pay a bit of money for a good quality kit than a old PC power supply. Mainly because of the OH&S regulations. I doubt that OME will have any problems with what he has got. He will just have to be careful. SAFTEY first! even at home!

good luck
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old May 21, 2007, 02:49 AM
Volta was revolting
Mount Annan, Sydney
Joined May 2006
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man emu
The conversion will provide sources for 24V; 17V, 12V, 10V, 7V, 5V and 3.3 V
Geez, I'm sorry if I offended those of you who are all cashed up and can spend money like a drunken sailor. I didn't realize that this ability was essential to be a modern RCer.

I happened to get a lot of pleasure from working out how to follow the instructions, and making the power supply myself.

I'm sorry I posted these instructions. In future I'll know that to be fully involved in RC, I'll have to purchase absolutely everything RTF. The ultimate would be to purchase a slave to do my flying for me. Then I suppose I'd fit in.

Old Man Emu
old man emu is offline Find More Posts by old man emu
Old May 21, 2007, 03:04 AM
Plummet Airlines
Perth Western Australia
Joined Feb 2004
878 Posts
The yellow wires on a PC supply are 12v DC about 6-7 amp. The black wires are your ground.
This is the basic make-up. I am in the process of building one.
Craig Mckinley is online now Find More Posts by Craig Mckinley
Old May 21, 2007, 03:18 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man emu
Geez, I'm sorry if I offended those of you who are all cashed up and can spend money like a drunken sailor. I didn't realize that this ability was essential to be a modern RCer.

I happened to get a lot of pleasure from working out how to follow the instructions, and making the power supply myself.

I'm sorry I posted these instructions. In future I'll know that to be fully involved in RC, I'll have to purchase absolutely everything RTF. The ultimate would be to purchase a slave to do my flying for me. Then I suppose I'd fit in.

Old Man Emu
Had a bad day Mate?
me_wantee is online now Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old May 21, 2007, 03:19 AM
Tamworth, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
146 Posts
I'm with you OME, I've built a couple of these myself recently. As long as you treat it with some caution when it's in use, I think it's an excellent and cheap source of stable power. I like to keep an eye on mine, just like when charging a lipo pack, and I don't leave it unattended when turned on.

The best thing is to build the 2 of them cost about $10. The power supplies came from the side of the road during the recent council footpath collection. One man's trash.....
Wogboy is offline Find More Posts by Wogboy
Last edited by Wogboy; May 21, 2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old May 21, 2007, 03:25 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
Just dont bother trying to argue with your insurance company when making a claim even if the pwr supply was NOT the cause, coz if they find that you are not going to have a fun time!

Its the same with any of these 240v chargers that are not certified for use in Australia, if they dont have the C-tick and been tested then you are looking for trouble.

Personally I would rather use an old car battery and charge it with a $25.00 arlec.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 21, 2007, 03:37 AM
72" of flying, flying, flying
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
2,108 Posts
Damm there are a lot of people here who like to tell you the worst thing that can happen.

I've been in the electronics industry since 1980, thats when we used to repair boards, not throw them away, and I also have an older PC Power Supply chugging away with a Swallow charging my LiPo's.

If they are that dangerous why are they in thousands of PC's? Short one out and it goes 'puft' (electronics term for smoke released), at worse case you trip a Circuit Breaker or the RCD - you ALL have them dont you.

Keep up the good work OME!!!
Aussie_Toyman is online now Find More Posts by Aussie_Toyman
Old May 21, 2007, 04:20 AM
Registered Abuser
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
608 Posts
Thanks for posting this OME.

I have been using an old AT supply for years now with no problems.
In fact I've seen quite a few modded by other folks too.
The older AT supplies are getting harder to find these days.
Now I know I can use the newer ATX style.

Cheers

Just a question though, why the 330 ohm resistor? Can't find mention of it in the pdf.

Aha it's for the LED

Found this also: http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply

And another : http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...owersupply.htm
Kentucky is offline Find More Posts by Kentucky
Last edited by Kentucky; May 21, 2007 at 04:36 AM.