HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2007, 06:18 PM
Joined Feb 2007
24 Posts
Discussion
1.5 mm hex wrench

where the heck do i get a 1.5 mm hex wrench to change blades? Please dont tell me I have wait and order it! I have some small ones but nothing close to that small! Thanks.
cdjflyslow is offline Find More Posts by cdjflyslow
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2006
170 Posts
Radio Shack has some precision screwdriver sets with hex drivers. I don't know specifically about metric, but it's worth looking.
dmeader is offline Find More Posts by dmeader
Old May 19, 2007, 07:57 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,449 Posts
Radio Shack, Ace hardware, Wal-Mart.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2007, 08:40 AM
RRS
Joined Oct 2001
99 Posts
Also, most hobby shops selling planes, helis, cars, accessorys, etc will usually carry metric tools/hardware, since most everything made outside US is metric (rather than SAE).
RRS is offline Find More Posts by RRS
Old May 20, 2007, 08:51 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,449 Posts
If I have learned anything usefull at all from this hobby it is the metric system. At one point in my life I did not care for it, now I understand how good the metric system actually is.

Converting me to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road will probably prove more difficult.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
Welcome aboard cdj, do **not** waste yor money on hex wrenches - what you want is a hex driver with a hardened tip. The one below has a replaceable shaft (you'll never need to) and as mentioned can be obtained from any hobby shop, or you can order them online from Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies, etc. Integy and MIP have good ones too. If you don't want to wait to order, you're better off checking with auto supply stores or anywhere quality tools are sold.

Hardened tip hex drivers are your best hobby investment ever. Second comes the Dremel.
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old May 21, 2007, 11:15 AM
RRS
Joined Oct 2001
99 Posts
You've got that right. Like most hobbies, work, other pastimes, etc requiring some form of manual dexterity, you quickly learn (or soon will) that it make good sense to buy quality tools. While they may cost more, you get a better tool, service, and ease of use with them. Allen/hex key wrenches have their place in our hobby, but hardened ball drivers are the way to go if you plan to remain in the 'hobby' for any length of time.
RRS is offline Find More Posts by RRS
Old May 22, 2007, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
24 Posts
Great, thanks for the welcome and the tips!
cdjflyslow is offline Find More Posts by cdjflyslow
Old May 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
Yes, a good set of hex drivers, but I also find T handle hex wrenches come in very handy, metric or standard, and not expensive
smart_racer is offline Find More Posts by smart_racer
Old May 22, 2007, 05:21 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
one thing I might add from my experiance, is take the nut with you and make sure the driver actually fits it. I bought a hex wrench for my blade CP and it was just too small even tho it was supposed to be the exact size I needed, I had to return 2 of them and finnaly just order a second wrench set from esky (same wrench the Blade CP uses)
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old May 23, 2007, 02:34 PM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
The BCX set screws are indeed 1.5 mm.
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old May 24, 2007, 06:53 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
cdjflyslow,

You can also go to Sears, Lowes, and Home Depot. They all have 1.5 mm hex drivers in their tool departments. Radio Shack does have sets with 1.5 mm hex drivers. They, the 1.5 mm drivers, are really not that hard to find in the U.S.

Pete
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller