HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,731 Posts
The pod is laser cut profiles I think 1/8in. in thickness. glue them all together but use very little glue for the equipment hatch. Then you cut away everything that doesn't look like the Manta. The hatch is a very perfect fit. I haven't done anything on my Manta lately as I bought one of Doug Montgomery's Orion dlg's. What a flyer it is too. but at some point in time I plan to finish the Manta.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:42 PM
Denmark
Joined Feb 2003
10 Posts
According to dpc homepage (www.aerowerkes.com), he is on holiday until 5 January 2013. Perhaps you could try again afterthat date. Also, the email in post 485 is incorrect, the correct one is: DPCMODELS@​aol.com
airfin is offline Find More Posts by airfin
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
960 Posts
Airfin,

Thanks for the info. I'll try after the 5th.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,731 Posts
I'm very sorry about the wrong e-mail address I posted for DPCModel's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Hello!
Does anyone have plan in dxf format? For cnc.

Thanks, Nik
Nik_O is offline Find More Posts by Nik_O
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,547 Posts
Have you tried to convert the .pdf file?

Try this:
http://www.aidecad.com/

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
I think solution is too bad.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,547 Posts
Unzip this and see if it helps.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Thanks, but it isnt working. still looking for something
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:01 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
Manta

This is a beautiful Design by Geode-

Still had a few duplicate lines, I cleaned up Wings,and Vertical Stab.

Exported from Corel into Autocad 2007 in Inches.

Doug

PS I checked the zip and it opens fine, you will need to extract all files.
dougmontgomery is online now Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:53 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,227 Posts
At least it opens OK in DraftSight.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:50 AM
1984 is no longer fiction
United States
Joined Mar 2012
424 Posts
I just ordered a laser set from Dave at DPCM / Aerowerkes (dpcmodels@aol.com).
I'll post here with my build progress. This will be my first DLG and this thread have been a great inspiration. THANK YOU ALL.
Scott

Update, the kit has arrived and the quality of the kit is EXCELLENT. And it came with a 11x17 printout identifying the parts on all 8 balsa sheets and........ it came with a CD that has a full size plan file that can be printed at your local Office Depot.
Shipping to USA via USPS was only $6.45 and the kit arrived fast. (ordered on Friday and arrived on Wednesday)
What more could you want? I am VERY HAPPY. Thank you Dave and Geode.
War is Peace is offline Find More Posts by War is Peace
Last edited by War is Peace; Apr 06, 2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: They put creatures in our bodies to control our minds.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 05:16 AM
United Kingdom, Sidcup
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Update on the Manta Short Kit :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atesus View Post
$25 for the pieces below.
I requested kit details to find the latest situation:-

Sent: 06 April 2013
Subject: Re: Manta 1.5m DKG Short Kit

Hello Mal,

Thank you for your interest in DPCM / Aerowerkes and for your email.

The Manta gliders I do are not listed on my website as they are not the main staple of my production kits.

In regards to your question, the Manta runs $28.00 (USD) plus $16.75 (USD) S&H via First Class Air International. (UK was the requested destination).

Estimated delivery is between 7-14 Business days depending on your customs department.

The parts are cut on 8 sheets of quality balsa.
A picture can be found here at the bottom of the page at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...688041&page=31

I also include a CD with the plans.
I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely,

Dave

DPCM / Aerowerkes
605 Rosa Street
Farmington,
New Mexico 87401

His other models:- www.dpcmodels.homestead.com/
I have also enhanced the pics to show what a beautiful set you get :-)

I do hope this helps :-)
Mal Bond is offline Find More Posts by Mal Bond
Old Apr 06, 2013, 06:14 AM
United Kingdom, Sidcup
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
What an Amazing Bird :-) BUT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Bond View Post
In regards to your question, the Manta runs $28.00 (USD) plus $16.75 (USD) S&H via First Class Air International. (UK was the requested destination).
Hi to those who have managed to find this outstanding DLG build project.

My heart is breaking for the true potential of this bird if it was put in the open market where everyone can see.

Above you will see that I am offered the short kit for $44.75 with shipping. This gets much worse when you find out that in the UK any items from the USA over $40 get a 20% customs duty on the goods and shipping. Also the UK postal service charge a handling fee for collecting the customs charge of about $12.
So this short kit comes in to me at around $66. We will forget what the UK is doing against the $ these days.

So here is the rub. $66 to get the Lazer cut parts and a CD containing the plan. Or go spend that $66 on getting the material, a hobby knife and some sand paper. Plus a fair bit of time to accurately cut the parts from locally sourced balsa. That is what model building was like when I was doing RC models 35 years ago. I wonder if those methods will better the modern high tech ones. The one thing I won't be doing is buying a high prices tapered CF Boom. I will see what is around that will do a reasonable job.

I agree the Lazer cut parts look good and I bet Dave uses a good consistent quality of wood.

So I need to go look at what it would cost to produce these parts here in the UK. I have the time and getting a good performing DLG at a reasonable cost is my aim.

I will give feedback on what I find out and what the budget line route to getting a finished Manta will be.

In the mean time there is one huge opportunity to ride the ever growing market for getting into DLG. The top end has skyrocketed to about $1,000 and that leaves a lot of stuff to be got if you don't have it already.

The Manta could be picked up and given a good update to fit in the modern marketplace. Then it could be advertised and shipped round the world.

Just look at the competition at the lower end of the market. Most people would have to pay well over $100 for a less competent flyer. There is a price point around $200 which I am exploring with the HobbyKing Versus. A nice composite bird with good potential to be the top choice for a reasonably priced composite DLG.

Every model needs many of the same things to complete it except we have to cover the Manta with a good covering of plastic film or something similar.
That stuff can be pricy and weight can be an issue. However there are options there too.

So perhaps It is time to bring the Manta to the market in 2013 with all the think work taken out and a good basic product that can be built and flown in the lower end of the price bracket without spending a fortune.

I plan to find out what $66 can do and look at kitting it properly to feed a growing market. I will look up those people who do this stuff professionally and find out what the world is like today.

I hope some dedicated DLG people will find this post and be sending me helpful advice on moving this beautiful relatively public domain bird forward.

I will also let Dave and Geode know I am looking at what can be done and see if this is a runner in the modern world. I am hoping that "where there is a will there is a way" :-)

I bet we could collect a fair number of orders for the full kit if everything goes well :-)

Back soon :-) Mal :-)
Mal Bond is offline Find More Posts by Mal Bond
Old Apr 06, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Greetings Everyone,
Its been a while since I've posted on the forums and will try to address some current concerns.

First off, the price increase from $25 to $28 is due to the increased cost from my suppliers. I always do everything I possibly can to keep cost down.

Second, I take care of most of the duty taxes. Anyone who has purchased kits from me from outside the US will be taken care of, even if it means I take a loss. You shouldn't have to pay any more other than the kit cost and shipping.

And Third, the Manta and some of the other gliders I do are not listed on my website nor do I advertise them. Word of mouth and the forums do that for me.

Those wishing to explore the concept of bringing a full kit Manta to the market place should freely do so. I hope this helps answer some of the concerns.

Regards,
Dave
dpcmodels is offline Find More Posts by dpcmodels