HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2009, 05:07 PM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Switzerland, Canton of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
pyrsly, is that what you used on your manta? I have a 1st gen raptor with a tailboom that looks like it could be that diameter. You can't launch it straight unless you have a gyro in the nose!

Also, do you have a favorite supplier for those?
Goeland86 is offline Find More Posts by Goeland86
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2009, 05:15 PM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,701 Posts
I uesd them on 40"-50" homebuilds. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=111
I buy them here http://www.goodwinds.com/ 12$!!!
I think properly extendet (on thik end) may work on 60". Perfect mach will be asprin pod that neck coverd just litle on the back is mising
pyrsly is online now Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2009, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Thanks pyrsly. I already have a pod though, where the tube is wrapped in the pod... Check the CG image I attached above, my pod is just like the clear grey piece.

Which tubes did you find sturdier? The sky shark or avia, as I want to make sure that it's not going to flex - like I said I can't launch straight if the boom flexes...
Old Jun 06, 2009, 12:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Sorry for the delay in putting up updates - I was travelling for the last 3 weeks.

I'm back now, though, and I got my hands on an Allegro tailboom. I just need to make sure I link the boom to the pod properly - but this is where having buddies nearby comes in handy.

I'll put up pictures when I have an update, I landed 2 days ago and I'm still unpacking.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:40 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Alright, I lied, no pics, but the boom and pod are curing, and my left wing structure is starting to look reasonable. I just wish I felt more confident about myself to start actually glueing things together.

Geode, what did you start glueing? The way I laid my wing up I have the bottom spar, the ribs and the trailing edge pinned in place. Nothing's been sanded to shape - glue first and sand in shape later, or the other way around? (Sorry for the relatively noob question, but I've only built kits until now, this is my first from scratch build).

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Ok, so, finally getting around to posting pics of my build... And I know there's a lot of them already, but I think I have a unique, non-balsa pod.

A friend from the club had it lying around his garage, and said it came from Chris Adams, which I haven't met, but I'd really like to thank him for the wonderful design it's offering me.

Here's why: the pod came with a servo tray. Except, with Lex's infinite wisdom, we figured a way to make the tray the central point of the fuselage, and use the pod as just an aerodynamic shape over said tray.

I've bonded the tailboom to the tray, instead of to the pod. Instead of cutting the pod nose off and adding little guides to hold it in place when sliding it back on. The main idea, and I'm not quite clear on the actual release mechanism yet, is that the wing, tray, and boom are all one piece (wing will be pylon mounted around the boom/tray joint).

This means I can easily take off the pod and get full access to all the radio equipment almost instantly. And I really like that idea, not just for initial setup, but also later for any kind of trimming, fitting of new servos/receiver etc...

And I'll let you enjoy the pics.

I'm also slowly working up on my wing, but I was so busy with the pod and figuring out where to put what that I haven't really finished my left half yet.

Enjoy
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:20 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2007
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeland86

Geode, what did you start glueing? The way I laid my wing up I have the bottom spar, the ribs and the trailing edge pinned in place. Nothing's been sanded to shape - glue first and sand in shape later, or the other way around?
That's the sequence I used too.

Love that pod you have. Should help you keep the weight down too.

Have fun building,
Geode
Geode is offline Find More Posts by Geode
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
So far, the entire fuse/pod gear plus tail feathers before sanding come out to 6 oz. That's not including the wiring harness, but I figure I can easily keep a covered wing under 3 oz, even with 2 D60's for the ailerons. Of course the wing mounting hardware's not included in that weight budget, but it's not going to exceed a half ounce, 'cuz I didn't buy anything heavier! I'll be real happy if I get a 10.5 oz Manta... My raptor at the moment is under 8, but it's a RE ship, and that poly kills me when I'm hunting a thermal downwind...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2 Posts
Hi
Can you send me a plan too?

thomas.lackner79@aon.at

Thanks
Thomas
Focal25 is offline Find More Posts by Focal25
Old Jul 06, 2009, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Ok, so I have almost everything done, all I'm missing is the right aileron. After that I'll do the wing joint and off to covering.

Btw, my panels are 58 and 60g respectively, without the servos installed. I'm using D60s for the ailerons, so I think I can manage to get my complete wing before covering at about 150g... Is that the same ball park you guys have for your wings with servos in it?
Old Jul 06, 2009, 02:35 PM
Estonia
Joined Feb 2007
675 Posts
Mine was 150grams with covering (oralight), i used 9gram HXT900 servos.
martseger63 is offline Find More Posts by martseger63
Old Jul 06, 2009, 03:19 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Thanks mart, the D60 are 9.9g a piece. So about the same ball park - my covering'll probably bring it up another 10-15 grams (oralight also).

Oh and my tail fins are incredibly heavy - not sure why. I made them out of hard balsa, though. My entire set comes in at 11g before assembly/reinforcement. I'm probably just going to put a tiny glass strip along the bottom of the fin and CA a small piece of carbon tow along the vertical.

Also, for those interested, there's a ~1g v-mount method that doesn't involve screws of any kind, the thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072386

I figured anyone interested by the Manta might want to look at that v-mount. It's clever, and very lightweight. I was going to do one, but because I want my plane in the air soon, I'll just split the stab and maybe do the mod later on. I'm already thinking about covering schemes to do with red, silver, white and army green... (not all of them at once, I reassure you)

Pics will be put up once I have a covered wing.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
It stunned, it amazed, and best of all, it FLEW!

Well, sort of. I managed to get a feel for the need to shim the wing to the right angle - compensated today by just using way too much elevator trim.

Geode, I have to say - amazing work on that design! All I did was build it as close as I could (which was probably not very) to what you'd sent me, and a gentle hand toss and it crossed the length of a baseball field! (not on the diagonal though, don't be too pushy!)

I haven't weighed it yet - I finished the aileron linkage at 3 AM last night, so I figure I deserve a little bit of rest before I get all the details out. But I thought you'd like to see pictures

And now, for the piccies!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:09 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2007
795 Posts
Love that slip on "pod". Wish you good luck with your maiden.

Geode
Geode is offline Find More Posts by Geode
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:20 AM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Thanks Geode!

I weighed it earlier. I was surprised and a little disappointed at my building skills...
AUW is 380g, or 13 1/2 oz.

It's a friggin TANK! But since I was recovering the ailerons, (I didn't like the "patchwork" look) I weighed the ailerons on their own. 1 oz (32g) for the pair!

It's really heavy in my mind. I'll work on a new set of ailerons and a new (full flying) stab after the contest at El Dorado next weekend. For now I just need it to fly without flutter. Then I'll worry about lightening it up.

Again, Geode, thanks a LOT for the design! I'm really really pleased with how well it floats. For reference, my boom is longer by about 3-4 inches than your plan calls for, and my CG is about 35-40% of the chord.