699 Posts
Here's another one.
RobZ is offline Find More Posts by RobZ
Old Oct 27, 2002, 07:27 PM
Bzulu
Berlin
Joined May 2002
214 Posts
Itīs nice to see a bird not copied too often. Would you be so kind and share some more information with us?
thulizulu is offline Find More Posts by thulizulu
Old Oct 27, 2002, 09:08 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Sure Thulizulu.
The plane will have a W.S 75"/190.cm. 11"/28.cm chord for the centre section and it tapers after the inner engine to 4.5"/10.cm. Fuselage is 50"/127.cm. long, 9"/23.cm deep and 3.75"/9.5.cm wide. A.U.W. will be 80oz./ 2.3kg.(I hope)
Power will come from 4X Graupner 170303 gear drives with 6V.
S400 motors, I'm not sure yet about the batteries.
The wings will be cut foam and the fuselage is balsa/ply/carbon fiber with a pink foam nose. These will be glassed with .05oz./ 14grm. glass cloth.
I have not decided on the paint syle, in fact I kind of like the Halton version of the Halifax. That's the airline passenger/freight version. On the other hand the RCAF (Canadian Airforce) flew a lot of these during the war, but I don't look forward to flying a camouflaged aircraft. I have been having a hard time getting good info on the Halton, so we will see.
As I'm sure you know, the Halifax/Halton flew a lot of stuff into Berlin during the air lift.
I haven't been to Berlin in a long time, not since the wall came down. I sure liked it.
Rob.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:06 AM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Halibag

Somewhere I have info on the Halton, detail views from AeroModeller, a b&w photo of a Berlin aircraft with civvy markings. If you need these, e-mail and I will see what I can do...
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Oct 28, 2002, 08:17 AM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Thank you Terry.
I have the AeroModeller plans and detailed views. The photo of the Halton might be good though. Is it an image of the plane ,flaps and gear down, as it clears a wall?
What I need is an interesting paint style to model. There were over 100 of these conversions done so there mush be photos somewhere. I have pics of the one of the 10 BOAC Haltons, but thats all. I really want to avoid an all metal finish because I'm concerned about radio interferance.
Rob.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 10:31 AM
Bzulu
Berlin
Joined May 2002
214 Posts
Hello Rob,
I spend a couple of weeks at GAF Gatow some years ago, the only sign left of serving for RAF was the golf court and a C 47 on display which was originally flown by RAAF during the lift.
The airfield has been closed, but a part of it is used to accomodate a museum.

Cheers,
Marc
thulizulu is offline Find More Posts by thulizulu
Old Nov 04, 2002, 04:24 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobZ
I really want to avoid an all metal finish because I'm concerned about radio interferance.
Rob I've sent you an E-Mail with more details, but in case anybody else is interested : G-AHZJ / -AHZK / -AHKL / -AHZM / -AHZN / -AHZO / -AIWI / -AIWJ / -AIWK / -AIWM / -AIWN / -AIWP / -AIWR and -AIWT of London Aero and Motor Services were painted a mid blue colour with white lettering.

G-ALEF of Eagle Aviation was (I'm 99% certain) dark red with white lettering and gold(?) trim and took part in the Berlin Airlift. This would make a beautiful model.

These aircraft were all pannier Halifaxes with the transparent bomber nose tip rather than Haltons.

The source for this information is the June 1994 'Aeroplane Monthly'.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Nov 04, 2002, 07:32 AM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Thanks Chris.
I haven't received your e'mail yet but this info is great.
The Eagle Aviation version is interesting but all I've seen is a B/W photo. The red should be very visable in the air.
Rob.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 01:22 AM
Canada, ON, Brant
Joined Oct 2006
2 Posts
Building a 1/12th scale R/C Halifax MkIII

Rob,

This thread is pretty old but I thought I would tap in to see what kind of interest is still out there. Have you completed your Halifax project?

I have a R/C Halifax MkIII project on the go (about 30% complete) and would like to contact others who may be building similar multi-engine A/C.

Mine has a 108" wingspan and is on target to weigh in at 20-21 lbs. I have the same question regarding the engine thrust line. My plans (54" control line model) show +ve incidence in line with the chord line of the wing.

I have attached a couple of photos of the wing centre section showing the custom built retract mechanism.

Dave
flying_farmer is offline Find More Posts by flying_farmer