HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2007, 04:20 AM
uk sw
Joined May 2007
1 Posts
Discussion
Aerobird 3 or HZ Super Cub or HZ Slow-V

Hi, I'm looking at a first plane and would like opinions on the Hobbyzone Aerobird 3, the Hobbyzone Super Cub and the HZ Slow-V.

I have been flying a simple b2 bomber with two engines (no rudder or flaps) cheap plane with my 8 year old and have really enjoyed it so would like to get something with longer flight times and more control.

Every one seems to love the Super Cub and I can get one for 105.
http://www.apexmodels.com/product-se...76014ac1363fce

The Aerobird 3 is a new model that replaces the Challenger and has a "reuseable"?? radio and I can get an Aerobird 3 for 80.
http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/prod...442&tamiya=394

I can also get a HZ Slow-V for 50.
http://www.rcaircraftmodels.co.uk/644_1_1014020.html

I think I really want the Super Cub but I am worried that it will require more space. Also my son is only 8 so I guess I am buying the plane that I fancy rather that the best one for him!

How much space do you need? (I have a cricket pitch sized field)

Which would be best for me and my son?

Is the Aerobird 3 ZX10 reuseable radio woth having and why?
http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/prod...442&tamiya=394

We have both been playing with FMS (well I have alot! )
kiteral is offline Find More Posts by kiteral
Last edited by kiteral; May 19, 2007 at 04:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2007, 08:21 AM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Well I have the Super Cub and its a great beginer plane. It's tuff easy to fly and rebuild-able. I think with a little help and alot of patience your 8 year old may be ablr to take the controls. You will need a fairly large field to fly it in but the better you are the less space you will need. There is a whole thread here devoted to the Super Cub with some good tips and tricks.
Trackrat1833 is offline Find More Posts by Trackrat1833
Old May 20, 2007, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2006
90 Posts
the super cub is an excellent plane to start out with-very stable-and a nice plane too so you wont become bored with it too quickly. If you do go with this one I would highly stress that you fly it in 7 miles an hour wind or less-higher winds will be likely to force it out of control-especialy since it is a rudder steered plane that weighs less than 2 lbs.-this goes the same for pretty much all of the lighter rudder steered craft. This plane will need at least 600 feet of space when you are first starting out so a local park may be a little too small-Also this plane (will be) too advanced for an 8 year old to fly-but there are exeptions to everything
Good luck to you and your son.
MI 24D HIND D is offline Find More Posts by MI 24D HIND D
Old May 22, 2007, 09:48 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Super Cub all the way. What a great trainer!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old May 23, 2007, 06:15 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
You might also give the GWS Beaver a looksee. It's not a ready to fly plane. It comes with a motor, but you will have to supple the radio, ESC, batteries & servos. But it is truely a park flyer and it can take off from a picnic table like the ad says. I have flown one at a local park and haven't had to have much ground space at all.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old May 23, 2007, 06:31 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
I have to vote for SUPER CUB... they take abuse well, fly VERY well and can be modded to aelirons later...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
stupid wind
Joined May 2007
245 Posts
i would say the super cub as well
R DeMarco is offline Find More Posts by R DeMarco