SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2007, 04:59 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Discussion
Giving back a little joy I get from this hobby of ours. New flyers only. Free planes.

Here's the deal.

I've been flying on and off for about 30 years. I'm 41 and started out with control line flight as a kid in the 70's, ugh, got too dizzy for that, didn't fly RC until the late 80's and only flew sailplanes off a high start. Graduated to gas flight, mostly cox .049 stuff, and then went to electric sailplanes.

Well I went on hiatus from flying while raising my kids, but got back into it big time in the last couple years. Mostly got my feel for flight with some three channel high wing trainers and such, gliders as well.

Now that I'm back into it big time, I don't fly much rudder/elevator anymore. Exception being the Slinger, Mini Slinger and Stryker, but we are talking a different sort of speed here.

If there is anyone newish to the hobby in the Seattle Tacoma area who wants to get into flying, but is limited on their funds, I've got a plane or three for you. For Free, or if you want, you can trade me for a couple servo's. Can never have enough servo's. E-Flite S75's or JR SM22's will work. LOL.

What I've got for newbies only, is an E-flite Gypsy thats in pristine condition, has two GWS Naro servo's already installed and comes with the stock brushed motor in a gearbox, an E-flight 10 amp brushed esc, and the prop if I can locate the correct one. It was equipped with a park 370 outrunner running 3 cells on an 8x3.8 prop. Too hot for a beginner, but it did have plenty of power for those "OOPS" moments where you need to go around when the landing approach wasn't ideal.

If you've got an RX, TX and a battery or can get one on the cheap. then you can have this plane.

Also included will be a GWS Slow Stick, thats in un-crashed condition (needs a motor and gearbox) and a brand new GWS Pico Stick that I never finished putting together. It also comes with the stock geared motor and prop.

Again, these planes are for newbies only, and who are on a limited budget. I figure this is about $200 worth of planes and the electrics. This should help someone out to get into the air. But please, go slow, take it easy, no high speed flybys, just keep them up several mistakes high and get a feel for flying. Learn how to control a plane coming at you as well as going away.

So, talk to me. Post here please, no PM's.

If, by the way, any flying club members read this and could use a trainer for your public fly days, or to help new pilots earn their wings, let me know as well.

No kidding by the way. I'm moving at the end of next month to a new house, and this way, I can create some space for several other planes I've got sitting in their boxes. Can't wait to get my Siren Hotliner built and test flown.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; May 20, 2007 at 01:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2007, 05:19 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Wow... that's real nice of you to do for the new guys.

Kind of makes me wanna do the same thing for new flyers down my way.

Now I just have to see what i've got worth flying, lol.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old May 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
I challenge others to do the same in their community. I'm sure alot of us have some easy to fly planes that are in flying shape we can part with no?
Old May 18, 2007, 05:47 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Same here... got extra stuff... ready to give away some... typical candidate is a young kid with some heart, the kind who has a paperoute to pay for his little pleasures, that his dad can't afford. I have been thinking of starting a similar thread for a while.

Canadian address a plus. I will pay for shipping.

One of the items is a Hitec Flash 5 computer radio with RX. I used it 4-5 times at the most. RX is full size, but it won't matter on a SS or similar. I will cycle the TX pack, it was ok a couple of years ago. No servos, these are long gone. I have other items too. Esc's,brushed motors, maybe a couple of nimh packs.

Edit: I have seen the kind before, inquiring mind, participating to threads, asking things like : should I get this, should I get that? What's the best I can get with my lilttle money? Looking forward for his big day to come along.

People that just want to run away with a freebie... pass your way here...

And yes.. please respond here in the thread, before sending PM.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Last edited by Cubber; May 18, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old May 18, 2007, 07:02 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
What a nice thing to do! We need more folks like these around to get this hobby (even more) to the masses.

I hope that I get the chance to do that some day, too. Right now, I only have one plane and no real TX/RX (HobbyZone Super Cub).
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old May 18, 2007, 07:05 PM
Nerd
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
99 Posts
I am so glad there are people like you.

You should know, it really is a limitation to being young around town and not being able to get a job (oh I've tried!) and people like you come by and offer to help.
It really means a lot, to youngsters like I, as well as those who'd like to get started in the hobby and do not know where to begin.

Jim the other day offered to give me his RX and TX as well, and I will never forget it. Things like these totally make my day and amaze me how generous people can be. I thank you all for being so great.

-Omar
Omar.M is offline Find More Posts by Omar.M
Old May 20, 2007, 01:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
no movement here. Noone wants a trainer I guess. I bet if I said I was giving away a stryker, new flyers would be everywhere.

They always want to go fast right away.
Old May 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
I got one taker for motor and ESC, bad timing maybe. Offer still up.
Old May 20, 2007, 04:37 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I would think that if you asked a pastor of a church in your neighborhood that he would know of a youngster that could use a helping hand in this hobby. My 8 yr old son and I are only flying toys (two channel AA variety) but I venture into this side of the forum occassionally to dream. My seventy plus father, father in law and uncle have all discussed getting planes. If you don't get any offers, give us old folks a pm.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 20, 2007, 05:32 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Tymbrewolf : Seniors or low income people fit the profile too. It's about spreading joy to people that will appreciate it, not freebies. PM me if that's your case.
Old May 20, 2007, 08:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Cubber, actually, I only feel old today after mowing this afternoon. The interest for my son and I was in the used market for a good at least three channel trainer in case someone wanted to downsize and did not find a candidate for the charitable cause. My father, is on a fixed income however. I will likely be buying for him anything that he may try to fly. We bought a micro mosquito helicopter a month ago for him and his dexiterity is not what it used to be. Something slow flying with forgiving controls would be a need for him. I was actually really responding to cryhavocs no response response.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 20, 2007, 08:43 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber
Same here... got extra stuff... ready to give away some... typical candidate is a young kid with some heart, the kind who has a paperoute to pay for his little pleasures, that his dad can't afford. I have been thinking of starting a similar thread for a while.

Canadian address a plus. I will pay for shipping.

One of the items is a Hitec Flash 5 computer radio with RX. I used it 4-5 times at the most. RX is full size, but it won't matter on a SS or similar. I will cycle the TX pack, it was ok a couple of years ago. No servos, these are long gone. I have other items too. Esc's,brushed motors, maybe a couple of nimh packs.

Edit: I have seen the kind before, inquiring mind, participating to threads, asking things like : should I get this, should I get that? What's the best I can get with my lilttle money? Looking forward for his big day to come along.

People that just want to run away with a freebie... pass your way here...

And yes.. please respond here in the thread, before sending PM.
My brother is just getting into rc airplanes and he could use that Tx, but I would rather see you give it away to someone who is a beginner in desperate need for a Tx.

You guys are awesome, though! I wish everybody in the world was as nice as you guys (and i'm not trying to butter you guys up, either ).

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old May 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
thats kool I am a newbie my self but Ive got every thing i need. I got 15ft of rubber, a balsa wood glider, slo-v, piper cub, 3 helicopters and an Expo 3D Im good... for now at least
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old May 29, 2007, 01:43 AM
Joined May 2007
35 Posts
Hi, I am 15 years old living in Florida. I have just got my first rc plane my dad bought me which is a GWS E-Starter. I had my first flight today and I think my dad may have been more excited then me and he was just watching. If no one else does, I'd be more than happy to take a trainer off your hands and give it to my dad, maybe for Father's Day? He has never flown an rc plane but I can tell he really wants one. I can take anything off your hands really, anything that can get my dad flying with me quicker! Anyways, let me know if no one else takes them because I'd be more than happy too. You guys seem like really nice people and very generous too .

Happy flying!
Orchard is offline Find More Posts by Orchard
Old May 29, 2007, 06:14 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
I challenge others to do the same in their community. I'm sure alot of us have some easy to fly planes that are in flying shape we can part with no?
A lot of this goes on within clubs all over the country. Members selling planes cheap to new members, or giving them away free. This is especially true with retired trainers and new members. Sometimes the person giving the plane will take on the new member as a student.

When I first started in gliders, one of the members sold me a 3M Legend for $100. He threw in a 2M RES Sagitta 600 and a 2M DART slope plane for free. Years later I still fly all three actively.

I have given away planes and have received planes. Happens all the time within the clubs.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr