SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2002, 01:23 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To Peter Rake re: In-Out, Scout About

Hello Peter,

I am a big fan of your plans. I have yet to build one even though I have extensive scratch building skills.

I was going to build the Speed 400 TM but have changed my mind since picking up your latest plan from Model World. (Which I don`t buy to often). I have an enlarged Guillow`s ( Nieport 17 conversion) version plan to 40" wing underway, but it is more of a finescale-slow crawl project. I would like to pump out a simpler aircraft for the mild winters we have here.

I understand you were putting out a larger version of this plan? approx 35" wing?
Anyway since I am already modding a guillows sopwith 28" I don`t want to dive into another smallish one.

I increased the size of your (In-Out) plan by 150% and came out with 35" wing.
This might be good......I think for the several respectable GWS 300C motors for beaver and zero,etc. that I have. I believe the gear ratio is 1:3.1 . I also have a speed 400 with (mpjet) gear box. (same one as JR Spitfire with APC 10 x 7 with 8 cell 1100Mah pack. Or 300c with 8 cell sanyo 720`s. I get huge time on my beaver with this combo 20-30 min!

Could you recommend any additional changes I might add to the enlarged version of your (In-Out) I wish to build. I have some time off my hectic schedule and would prefer not to wait for an alternative. I realize I will have to scale up the balsa dimensions and maybe beef up some other areas?

Your input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Last edited by Warren Jones; Oct 27, 2002 at 01:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2002, 05:25 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,754 Posts
Warren,
I'm pleased to hear that you like my designs, even though you haven't taken the plunge yet.
Scaled up to 35" span, the Scout will be ideal for the motor options you mention, and should fly well on those calm, crisp days. However, please don't 'beef' her up, she doesn't need it. As I said in the other post, she's actually a scaled down version of an earlier design, the only changes made being material sizes and motor installation.

Since the original model was 36" span, just revert to the original material sizes and you should be right. That means making everything that is 3/32" on your plan 1/8 and using 16SWG wire for the u/c. As far as I can remember, the actual materials used remain the same - balsa is balsa and hardwood is hardwood.

If I can be of any further help, just get back to me.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 27, 2002, 09:01 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To Peter,

Thanks for your reply!

The simplicity of your models along with the look are very impressive to me. I have always loved the bipes. It`s been a tough desicion on which one to build as a daily flyer.

The neiuport 17 has been a bear to build (ailerons). Billy bishop`s paint scheme. As I said it`s a blown up 160 % and yet more of a looker than a flier to me right now. In fact I`m a little afraid to fly it (4-channel).

Any way, regarding the Scout About. Is the stablizer normally this large? It seems that when I enlarged the plan this feature stood out more. Maybe it`s just my imagination. I imagine this large stab gives good stability.
With the gear I`m going to build the light weight suspension (front axle) like the prototype since you mentioned she doesn`t like hard on the deck pounding.
I`ve been practising hundreds of touch and goes with my 40" Beaver and eventually the gear just wore out from the rigid structure.

What would you suggest for wheels on the "sweet little Scout"?

Due I keep the wing incidence and CG the same as the original plan? I`m always fearful of this with a balsa plane.

Cheers

Warren Jones ( A welshman who lives for modelling )
Old Oct 28, 2002, 06:08 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,754 Posts
Warren,
Incidences and c.g. will be fine just as shown, so don't bother playing with them. They are exactly as they were for the 36" version.
As regards the size of the tailplane, that's pretty much scale size. This is one model that doesn't need enlarged tail surfaces.

Pete
Old Oct 28, 2002, 01:04 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To Peter,

Very good. I picked up all the balsa and accessories yesterday.

This is one build I`m looking forward to.

I don`t have access to Digital Camera but I will shoot standard negative. When done, I`ll send you some picks if you like.

Cheers

Warren
Old Nov 03, 2002, 02:00 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Peter,

I noticed you mentioned an article about wheels for WWI vintage style planes.

I`m building the Scout-About and was wondering if you could link me to it or E-Mail me a version.

Cheers

Warren
Old Nov 03, 2002, 06:01 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,754 Posts
Warren,
That's no problem at all, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the article. The only thing that has changed is my choice of tyre material, these days I use a type of smooth coated sponge rubber. It comes in lengths and can be CA'ed into loops. It's no better, just lighter.

Pete
Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:34 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To Peter,

I just wanted to mention something you probably already know.

Don`t underestimate the GWS 300C geared motors. They are a very cheap, rugged and versatile " little" motor that might be right up your alley with the 35" plans.
Some friends and I use them extensively with 8 cell AAA 720mah on 18 to 22 oz planes. The duration and climb performance is very respectable. I often use APC 10x7 prop with hard/intermitent throttle with a warm pack at the end. longest flights are in the 25-30 min range with the aid of wind.

I plan on this combo for the Scout......first. I have a nice little 400 with MPJet gear and it sounds beautiful, although this with 8 cell 1100Mah pack scares me for weight.......of course you would have the experience in this department.

I like where you mentioned (paraphrase) "build to fly"! I learned this lesson the hard way on a TM.

Cheers

Warren
Old Nov 04, 2002, 04:25 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,754 Posts
Warren,
The Bristol Scout kit has been successfully flown on that same combination. As soon as I can actually get hold of one of the GWS units I shall be trying it out in a model.

Pete
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:29 PM
greensboro NC
Joined Feb 2002
85 Posts
Bristol Scout

Peter,

Where can I
I get a copy of your plans for the above?

I was a Bristol Aeroplane Apprentice many years ago and am very attached to Bristol Bipes.

I posed this same question in another thread to Chris, who had some excellent photographs of the model he is building.

Thanks for your help,

Pete Tucker.

BAC. 1956
Motipete is offline Find More Posts by Motipete
Old Feb 26, 2003, 05:25 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PETERRAKE
Warren,
The Bristol Scout kit has been successfully flown on that same combination. As soon as I can actually get hold of one of the GWS units I shall be trying it out in a model.

Pete
Just noticed this Peter. You can get thse from Nippon Dave in Japan. Don't have a fit. He supplies faster than most of the UK suppliers.

see www.aircraft-world.com for details.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:13 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Here is the " In-out-Soutabout" by Peter Rake.

This is a fine little park flier. A little more of a handfull than the larger version but very fun to fly.

Motor: GWS IPS (S2/3.5:1 Gear)
Battery: 6 Cell (50AAASH 500mAh Nihms) 7 will get you more time. Approx 15-20 minutes,.....more with "keen" throttle management.
Servos: HS-55`s
RX: GWS 4-channel
Prop: 8.5x8 GWS ( this is a 10" cut down and feathered). Tried 7-8 props and this one seems to be best. Sometimes a .5 prop is the ticket, yet we never venture there.
Control Linkage: pull-pull.

Overall weight minus battery pack: 6.4 oz. In order to achieve this weight I hogged out the inner fus panels after they were faired in at cowl. I also cut out side of fuse between struts as well. Removed formers at top rear under stringers.

Covering is Silk Span/SiG Dope.

Painted markings and airframe with Tamiya Acrylic.

Left off rigging for "less" drag.

Cheers

Warren