HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2002, 10:27 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
Lightning/Diversion for lunch-time flyer?

I have a TM and a Soarstar. Great planes, but I was thinking (just thinking!) about getting a Wattage Lightning or Diversion for those gotta have a quickie, no fuss, lunch time got-to-get-something-in-the-air times at work. I might even want to be able to fly it in front of the house (nope, no tree-lined streets here).

I just happen to have 3 separate football field-size mowed open lots within 2 blocks of work. (You should be so lucky!). I don't expect much- I know the planes are what they are. However, they're both just so tiny and cute and tough- and I hear they don't fly all that bad.

Could I hear opinions from some of you who have one (or both) if they're worth the money. I can get the Lightning for $70 and the Diversion for $80. Also, how fast do they fly compared to a Tiger Moth?

Thanks in advance,
Goofup
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2002, 11:33 PM
Goin' Vertical
Salem, OR
Joined Nov 2001
708 Posts
Diversion Flight report

Hi,

Just got a Diversion from KBtoys yesterday.

Cute looking little thing. Nothing to setup. Just 6AA batteries in the TX/Charger unit and off you go. Comes in a neat little carrying case so hanger rash should not be an issue.

Sunny Day no wind so I it a try at a local school field. First few flights were disappointing. Climbed out nicely but I couldn't get it to turn right. It would only go left and when it got close to the groud I couldn't recover. Since it has no rudder or elevator it takes a bit to get used to the controls. After each charge I was getting a better climb out. I finally was able to get to turn both directions but be warned that turns usually mean a quick loss of altitude. I'm slowly learning how to pulse the "climb" button to maintain altitude.
It's light weight(mass)makes it relatively impervious to minor crashes. I nosed it into the grass at least 3 times without a scratch. I'd really like to try it indoors..this model cannot not handle any wind in my opinion. Even in a still conditions it was very difficult to land within 50 feet of where I intended. I know I could do better with some practice but this is the most difficult to control plane I have yet to fly. I'll give more flight reports as I go along.

tIgGeR
Tigger is offline Find More Posts by Tigger
Old Dec 02, 2002, 10:00 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
Actually I already got a Lightning (just had to have the gear).

I've only been able to get one flight in due to *$^% wind, rain, frost, etc., but it flew pretty good. Needed a tad of up elevator, but it still flew with no problems, and I was able to empty the pack without crashing. The good thing about it is it dosn't seem to get way out of alignment with the earth as long as you remember to power through the turns. Landing was a non-event.

Fun little plane, can't wait to ROG, etc.

Goofup
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup