SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2007, 04:29 AM
Joined Oct 2005
9 Posts
Build Log
Custom Walkera 52/NR3D Micro skids!

After destroying my stock skids, I set out on building some new and improved landing gear. Walked into my work shop, looked around a bit... grabbed some wire, a small sheet to plastic, and an atenna tube. 20 minutes later, this is what I have. Works perfectly and hasn't shown any signs of wear even after some crashes.

First, I removed the battery tray/holder thingy that is made out of plastic, and threw it away, then I removed the aluminium plate that the landing gear is attached to. I then used the plate as a template to drill the four holes in the plastic plate... I used on peice of plastic, and drilled the four holes centered on opposite sides. Once I did that, and cut the plastic peice in half and resized... I made the rear one small, and the front one a little larger. Now I drilled a small hole on each end of the plastic mount for the wire to fit through. Did some fancy bending on the wire, and viola! Once the wire was sticking through to the bottom, I screwed it all back on the heli, this time, putting the aluminium plate on last! That way once the velcro goes on, I have a nice flat space to attach the battery too. Then I messured the legs, cut, and bent a 90 degree bend inward on the bottom of the wire leg. then I cut a length of antenna tube, drilled alittle hole for the wire to fit into, and poped the little bent end of the wire into it. Then I bent the from of the antenna tube up in the front to look like a skid. They work perfectly! I haven't had any problems at all! Works much better than stock, and it is really really easy to adjust the CG.

Shrubba
shrubba is offline Find More Posts by shrubba
Last edited by shrubba; May 17, 2007 at 04:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2007, 12:33 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I cant really tell by the pics, but did you make them taller than the stock setup. That is what is wish mine had, alittle more ground clearance. Maybe a half an inch more on mine would be perfect.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old May 17, 2007, 05:09 PM
Joined Oct 2005
9 Posts
Yes, just a little taller than stock... I didn't like how close to the ground the tail blades were to the ground. It is so much better now.

Shrubba
shrubba is offline Find More Posts by shrubba