HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2001, 01:01 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
Hitec 555 doesn't seem to work with my 8 UAF

I have a hitec 555 that I have run on channel 53, and 37 before no problem. I previously used my old 6 channel skysport on ch. 53 no with not interference problems.

A week or so ago, I bought a Futaba 8 UAF. I had Tim at Tammies Hobbies order it on Channel 53 as thats what my 555 reciever is on. Well, I go to use the 555 with the UAF, both of them on channel 53 and I get all sorts of interference, when I'm more than 5 feet away.

It wont range check. I was putting it into a Happyfly slimer.

I thought maybe it was because it was near the reciever pack. I put it in my Twinstar, and it still gave me interference.

Does anybody ahve a solution to my problem?

I don't really want to have to send anything in, especially the TX cuz then I couldn't fly.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2001, 01:51 AM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
I have heard of similar problems and usually the fix was to retune the TX for the receiver.
I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, but this is my experience.
I recently purchased a Hitec Eclipse Spectra for this very reason. Technically, you are not suppposed to be able to use a different crystal on any brand Transmitter without re-tuning it for the frequency. But only Hitec really mandates this practice.
However, since you ordered it with Channel 53 to begin with as new, this doesn't fit.

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 25, 2001, 02:47 AM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sf_247:
I have heard of similar problems and usually the fix was to retune the TX for the receiver.
I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, but this is my experience.
I recently purchased a Hitec Eclipse Spectra for this very reason. Technically, you are not suppposed to be able to use a different crystal on any brand Transmitter without re-tuning it for the frequency. But only Hitec really mandates this practice.
However, since you ordered it with Channel 53 to begin with as new, this doesn't fit.

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
On the Futaba 8u you don't change the transmitter crystal, you change a module and it is legal to do so. The spectra also works in the 8u, plus it has alot more features than the Eclipse, even unlimited model memory.
Hites does make good radios though, the flash 5x was my first.

I dont know why you would be having interference problems, can you try another receiver or another crystal in that receiver?

Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2001, 08:30 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Something's not right. Have you tested the Tx with other Rx's? It could just be a bad receiver, but I've bought a LOT of 555's and super slims, and never had any problem with them. Are you certain that the Tx came from Futaba on 53 (and that a different Tx crystal wasn't installed at some point) and also that the Rx has a genuine Hitec Rx crystal (I suspect it does as you say you ran it on 53 before)?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 25, 2001, 09:27 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Make sure the Hitec 555 is a Futaba J rx, and not an Airtronics/Hitec rx. It should say Futaba on the top of the rx.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old May 25, 2001, 10:03 AM
Destin, FL USA
Joined Nov 2000
558 Posts
Hi:
If the 555 says 'Futaba', you just have a bad receiver. I'm running on on my 8UAPS with great results. In fact, I've entrusted my F5B plane to one of these after using the Futaba PCM reveiver for a long time. Still love the PCM, but needed the space. Just wish I had the 7 channel system, which makes mixing the spoilerons a little easier. It can stil be done on the 5 channel.
Regards,
Bob Stewart
BobStewart is offline Find More Posts by BobStewart
Old May 25, 2001, 10:22 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,869 Posts
If the receiver worked before, I would suspect the module in the transmitter. Have you tried any other Receiver with the 8UAF?
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old May 25, 2001, 11:59 AM
Mesa, AZ USA
Joined Mar 2001
86 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. The first time I turned the thing on all of my servos jittered like the tx was in PCM mode, double checked it and was on PPM. Turned everything off and now it works fine.

Recently read that the FCC can really put the screws to you if you're caught using the Hitec Module in anything other than a Hitec Trans. Ooops... <G>

BobStewart, you CAN use all 7 (maybe 8) channels with the 555 receiver, you just have to pull them out of it by soldering on separate leads. I've got a URL someplace on how to do it. I'll see if I can track it down.
Aero-BearAZ is offline Find More Posts by Aero-BearAZ
Old May 25, 2001, 12:01 PM
Mesa, AZ USA
Joined Mar 2001
86 Posts
Just thought of something...

Check your mode on the TX. Even tho it is a FM trans it is switchable to PCM. Make sure that it's in PPM mode.
Aero-BearAZ is offline Find More Posts by Aero-BearAZ
Old May 25, 2001, 09:14 PM
Vancouver, WA
Joined May 2001
37 Posts
Maybe a coincidence, but had a hit on my Twinjet today on ch. 53,ditto on Sunday. Different A/C, but ch. 53.
Jim
JimG is offline Find More Posts by JimG
Old May 25, 2001, 09:28 PM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
Quote:

BobStewart, you CAN use all 7 (maybe 8) channels with the 555 receiver, you just have to pull them out of it by soldering on separate leads. I've got a URL someplace on how to do it. I'll see if I can track it down.[/B]
Copy me on that as well, sure would save a lot of mixing...

Steven

Steven D is online now Find More Posts by Steven D
Old May 26, 2001, 01:38 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Good point Aero, I have done that in the past too, only to realize that I had the tx in pcm mode, and not ppm!

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old May 26, 2001, 01:45 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
JimG-- Is that Twinjet the one that was test flown at celebration of silent flight?

The Reciever says its for Futaba, it was used on a Futaba radio previously. The Tx is in PPM Mode, the Reciever that came with it.

Funny thing happened when I bought my 8U, I told the guy at Tammies that I had an 8U on hold, that was channel 53, he from the back room with it, and I'm looking it over to make sure every thing is right. He made a comment about how I'd already put some money down on it. Well I hadn't. Come to find out the buyer (Name was on the reciept) was also buying one on 53, except his was a PCM version.

Almost got the wrong radio.

I haven't had time to tinker with it since I posted the origonal thread, I'm gonna try the wrap the Rx. in tin foil idea just for kicks.
Site Sponsor
Old May 26, 2001, 02:34 AM
Vancouver, WA
Joined May 2001
37 Posts
Yes, and I'm having a lot of glitch problems. Tried moving the rec. forward, wrapping with alum. foil, moving Ant.etc. Using 555 Rec.& bought a new one plus a different crystal, but haven't tried that yet. Have had the same problem with my Pondside so thought might be a ch.53 when I read your thread.
Jim
JimG is offline Find More Posts by JimG
Old May 26, 2001, 02:55 PM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
maybe I'll get a different module for my 8U on a different channel, because I love the radio, but I can only use the reciever that came with it. I'll try my ch 53 crystal on my 7 channnel R127DF (Futaba, I think thats the designation) just to make sure that its not the crystal which somehow could have gotten damaged.
Site Sponsor