HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2007, 06:20 AM
Registered User
shaneyee's Avatar
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
Wow, thats a nice machine you built.... I thought of doing sonething like that but I trained myself to think that cutting ribs is therapeutic. I really believe it is now after doing all the ribs for a Bubble Dancer by cold laser ( X- acto No 11 )

Shane
shaneyee is offline Find More Posts by shaneyee
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 09:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
There was a fellow here a good two or three years ago, who took the guts from a common CAD pen plotter and mounted it to a board on some sturdy table. He got the pen plotter for free as it had some end of paper sensor which went out, and was not available. Then the head and turret ran on ways and a flexible cable. He was using the pen functions to regulate holding of X-acto #11 blades, and then boost pressure via a relay and new solinoid. He showed it off, sitting in center of his garage floor. He originally wanted it for cutting out delicate designs in Monocoat, but found it had capability of cutting wood too. Often times, it took several tries at the X-acto blades cutting through harder parts in the wood. He showed it off to a German based web site that was interested in that vinyl graphics cut using Rolland equipment. He later on found some rotating knive blade holders and this eased up the sorting problem.

The knife plotter then had an average flat area of 36 inch by 48 inch, due to software. Had been many folks who sent messages to him, but no return on any that I know of. Wish we knew more about the conversion for twenty year old plotters are going quite cheap today.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 09:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
I want one

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfong
I finally finished my wood mill that I started over a year ago. This one was made to cut balsa and foam. I have a metal mill, but it's just not big enough for my RC projects.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
Hello kfong,
I have been looking for information on scratch building a CNC hot wire cutting machine. I have already built a machine that cuts wings but it requires the production of formers (which is quite time consuming) and is assisted by gravity feed.
What I need is to know is how and where to obtain and decide upon the electronic bits and programmes which connect my PC to the stepper motors to drive the beast. I can deal with the mechanical bits. Please can you help me with the electronics
My email address is :- electricflyjim@aol.com
icandoit is offline Find More Posts by icandoit
Last edited by icandoit; May 17, 2007 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
Iwant one

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfong
I finally finished my wood mill that I started over a year ago. This one was made to cut balsa and foam. I have a metal mill, but it's just not big enough for my RC projects.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
Kfong,
I need to know how to build a CNC hot wire cutter. I have built one that relies on gravity but requires making formers. Can you give me any help in obtaining bits to get my PC to do the work. The mechanical bits are easy but I have no knowledge of electronics. e.g. what stepper motors and where I can get them, the Bits I need for the drivers and programs to operate the beast. Please help, I am getting desparate. James
icandoit is offline Find More Posts by icandoit
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 11:33 AM
Just Plane Crazy
FlyingWingNut's Avatar
Bakersfield
Joined Nov 2006
182 Posts
icandoit, check out www.hobbycnc.com

kfong, where did you get the delrin? Are the white kitchen cutting boards made of delrin?
FlyingWingNut is offline Find More Posts by FlyingWingNut
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 01:57 PM
Registered User
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
The delrin is used by machine shops, it is much harder than any plastic I've found locally. The plastic in kitchen cutting board is softer but can be used if it is stiff enough. I've seen people use the soft plastic slides sold by wood shops. Delrin is optimal and can be found if you use google.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingWingNut
icandoit, check out www.hobbycnc.com

kfong, where did you get the delrin? Are the white kitchen cutting boards made of delrin?
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 02:19 PM
Registered User
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Hi James,

We sell the microstep and the microstepPLD boards that can be used for hot wire cutting. All the software I've seen uses step and direction signals. This is what our drivers require. Unfortunately we do not sell a completed board. We only sell the blank circuit board and provide the part list needed to be purchased from Digikey. If you can solder then you could build the board. I can help with pictures and if you can post pictures as well then maybe I can walk you through it.

I did create a board that is uses the French software. That is a unipolar board MM2001 variant and has the hot wire relay feature. I wasn't really happy with the design and never went much further with it. I do have spare boards if anyone is interested.

This thread here is a good one to go over
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469391

I plan to use our microstepPLD drivers and a separate heat controller for my hotwire setup. I prefer bipolar steppers motors over unipolar motors.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandoit
Hello kfong,
I have been looking for information on scratch building a CNC hot wire cutting machine. I have already built a machine that cuts wings but it requires the production of formers (which is quite time consuming) and is assisted by gravity feed.
What I need is to know is how and where to obtain and decide upon the electronic bits and programmes which connect my PC to the stepper motors to drive the beast. I can deal with the mechanical bits. Please can you help me with the electronics
My email address is :- electricflyjim@aol.com
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; May 17, 2007 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 02:27 PM
Registered User
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Hi James,

I'll post pictures of my hot wire setup tonight. That should give you some idea as where to proceed. It's still a work in progress. Most of it is complete but I need to finish the driver boards for it and have way too many projects going at one time. My blog gives you an idea on just some of the projects I'm involved with. Time seems to be my biggest setback.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandoit
Kfong,
I need to know how to build a CNC hot wire cutter. I have built one that relies on gravity but requires making formers. Can you give me any help in obtaining bits to get my PC to do the work. The mechanical bits are easy but I have no knowledge of electronics. e.g. what stepper motors and where I can get them, the Bits I need for the drivers and programs to operate the beast. Please help, I am getting desparate. James
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 09:49 PM
Registered User
chem1's Avatar
Joined Jan 2005
82 Posts
FWN,

You can get Delrin from Interstate Plastics at www.interstateplastics.com. It is not the same as cutting board material which is typically high density polyethylene (HDPE), also available from Interstate Plastics.

Mike
chem1 is offline Find More Posts by chem1
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:46 PM
Registered User
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Here is my hotwire project. It still isn't completed. I need to make a bow for it, since that is what seems to work best for free standing setups. I used drill rods for support as well as for the rail system. I used standard threaded stock and bipolar stepper motors for the drive. I was able to cnc the plates out of G10 circuit board material and tapped the center for the threaded stock. This setup seems to hold up with tests. Kept it simple. I plan to use the same driver boards as my CNC woodmill. I plan to clamp the setup onto a bench, this will give me some flexability for size and storage.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; May 17, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 04:25 AM
Registered User
rjarois's Avatar
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
looks great vince....i just started to rebuild my cnc hotwire. good job on yours. we gotta get out flyin soon.......peace, randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
Call me hippo
hippodrome's Avatar
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Nov 2005
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfong
...I was able to cnc the plates out of G10 circuit board material and tapped the center for the threaded stock. This setup seems to hold up with tests.
Kin,

Are the dark plates the G10 material? I can't visualize what it is you tapped - the plates, or is it something else hidden beneath the plates?. If the plates are tapped, how thick is the material, i.e., how many threads are in contact with the threaded rod?

Phil
hippodrome is offline Find More Posts by hippodrome
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
Registered User
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Hi Phil,

The plates are 1/8th G10. I used 2 of them on either side. It provides enough material for tapping. Seems to wear well and was a simple solution, very little backlash. The solid block of wood was drilled larger so the threaded rods would not make contact. The drill rods were pressed fit in. Simple as I could make it. I CNC'd the G10 plates so everything would precisely line up, but you could do the same with a drill press and just stack them. This allows you to be sloppy with the drill holes in the wood blocks. I hope this explains it better.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/


Quote:
Originally Posted by hippodrome
Kin,

Are the dark plates the G10 material? I can't visualize what it is you tapped - the plates, or is it something else hidden beneath the plates?. If the plates are tapped, how thick is the material, i.e., how many threads are in contact with the threaded rod?

Phil
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; May 18, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
Just Plane Crazy
FlyingWingNut's Avatar
Bakersfield
Joined Nov 2006
182 Posts
That seems to be the most simple setup I've seen yet. Can you give more info on the drill guide usage and what you used on the slide rails for bearings/bushings? Also, how much torque the motors have?
FlyingWingNut is offline Find More Posts by FlyingWingNut
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Looking for RC mini versions of the Cars from the movie "Cars" enziobodoni Micro Cars 2 Feb 25, 2007 11:25 PM
For Sale CNC router for RC Landarts Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 4 May 21, 2006 05:18 PM
CNC Mill for PCB just_lkn The Builders Workshop 4 Apr 03, 2005 11:24 PM
cnc mill for cutting out depron/FFF? htuong95 Foamies (Kits) 4 Oct 04, 2004 12:59 PM