SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:27 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Oh it was good alright flew the Salto from the pieshop and lift was good ,even though it was southish there was no rotor on the approach and the Salto is in one peice after 2 successful flights.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Jan 03, 2008 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:40 AM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth Man
Dave,
Maybe you need an opal mine to afford the spare parts
Tim.
..if i stripped the car down and sold the parts individually, it would easily pay for a new ferrari

Was a pretty good day at otford.. found out my jazz wing has quite good autopilot abilities when the battery becomes unplugged mid air. And Steves new Salto was really impressive for a first flights. Hope it's more of the same tomorrow.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:44 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Possilble Jart 1 sighting but without the use of absailing gear it may stay lost even if it is the Jart '
SteveW
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:44 AM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Steve,
I can help out with some abseiling gear!

As long as its not more than 50mt cliff, i cut my 100mt rope just last week

I can probably do next weekend, if that suits.
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
Old Jan 03, 2008, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
That would be cool Brett ,I dont think its that far down but it just out of reach according to the young guys that spotted it. I'll be down there all this weekend .
would be nice to get the number 1 Jart home .
SteveW
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:04 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
It's 10 am an FlyStanwell is reporting 16 knots ESE. I am packing the car.

The BOM says the wind direction should hold till late afternoon.
F
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:34 AM
slope soarer
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2006
290 Posts
Friday

excellent day with wind directly east most of the day, 18 km and increasing a little above 20 km later in the day. Lots of people and lots of great flying. I had some good flights with the halfpipe and the miniblade, and 2 disastrous crashes with my bird (see my other post for details including air crash investigation report). Both times the model ended up a long way down the slope, and the second in particular on the southern end involved struggling down some very steep stretches of hill with thick vegetation. Using a lost model finder I found the model hanging in a vine attached to a tree, and as I approached the tree (I was clawing my way through thick bush on a steep slope) large magpies started to cry in alarm. I got the model, and when I came away from the tree I was dive bombed by 2 magpies, fortunately they missed.

GregG
greggold is offline Find More Posts by greggold
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:45 AM
slope soarer
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2006
290 Posts
2.4 Ghz Rx in a carbon fuselage

Today I had 3 episodes of radio failure while flying the bird. I was using a JR 9303 Tx and Spectrum AR6200 receiver. The model had been previously flown with a AR6000 Rx, and as I recall this was the first flight with the AR6200. (Spectrum say the AR6000 is a parkflyer rx, and the AR6200 is full range). I did not do a range check (doh). On several previous occasions when I have reviewed what I did following a major disaster, I ended up thinking surely I could not have done that, and this is looking like one of those occasions…

I had a similar setup in both the bird and the miniblade, with one key difference, on the miniblade both rxs were outside the fuselage (see photos).

In the first episode the bird nosed up violently, and also yawed sharply; I said at the time Wow! And then since the model was in strong lift at the time I concluded I hit a big updraft, and I continued to fly; everything then seemed normal. Five minutes later in the same flight while a fair distance from the Tx the model gave some major twitches, then entered a spiral dive and descended maybe 100m and hit the slope. When found it was suspended 10 cm off the ground in a low shrub and was undamaged.

The third episode is hard to imagine and involves (a) without disassembling the radio and proper testing, I concluded on the basis of careful examination of the model and viewing the action of every control surface that there was no damage, AND (b) I again decided to fly the model without doing a range check.

The flight appeared perfectly normal for about 15 minutes, then when the model was at quite a big distance, again there were major twitches and again a spiral dive. This time up elevator seemed to alter the steep nose down attitude to about a 30 deg nose down attitude, slowing the plunge. When the model was found it was in a small tree, having snagged on a creeper vine, and was suspended a metre above the ground. Again it was completely undamaged (the cockpit cover was still in place, although displaced a little).

The controls all worked normally. When I got it home I did a range check without touching anything, and I found that at 12m if I pointed the TX away from the model the controls stopped working. I removed the cockpit cover and the range check was then OK. I replaced the cover and I could reproduce the problem.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 03:01 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,737 Posts
Here is some video of Steve's Salto and a bit of a Drongo from yesterday.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...17#post8855307

Glenn
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:04 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
Greg, I think I read some were that you are to have 1 set off aerials vertical & 1 horizontal & don't bend them !!!! just a thought.

Rick
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:06 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
Ill be there after lunch on Saturday

Hay Steve, it could be my Eraser that my son lost the same day as my Moth went MIA ,may be one of us will be happy

Rick
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Last edited by BMtech; Jan 04, 2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:24 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Yeah could be Rick I'm not building my hopes up but the area they are saying its at is where the Jart disappeared.
SteveW
Old Jan 04, 2008, 05:33 AM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
omgz is that freds banana?
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Jan 04, 2008, 05:54 AM
slope soarer
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2006
290 Posts
"re: Greg, I think I read some were that you are to have 1 set off aerials vertical & 1 horizontal & don't bend them !!!! just a thought.
Rick"

Yes, that is one change I am going to make. I had thought the AR6200 would not be fussy about that point, but maybe it would be useful after all. (Actually both points, as my 2 receivers had the wires a bit bent, and not at rt angles). The AR6000 which is DSM1 technology and allegedly not as good as DSM2 may have a better aerial arrangement as I have flown the bird with it in place. I am doing a few more tests and then I might post the example on the radio forum
GregG
Closed Thread