HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 01, 2007, 05:17 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
Looked pretty good yesterday, but had work to catch up on

Predictions to swing NE today, but looks good at SE now.. will go down at lunchtime for a fly if it's not changing.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2007, 04:22 PM
kkw
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,442 Posts
Was out off Bare Island bommie yesterday afternoon. The NE was blowing nicely and I could see a couple of models flying at Kurnell. Was torn as to where I would rather be. They were flying for a couple of hours, so next NE, I might have a look at the area a bit more closely. Either that, or go out to visit Steve at Mt Annan.
kkw is offline Find More Posts by kkw
Old Dec 02, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cronulla, Sydney, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Yeh Klaus, We flew Kurnell from 5.30pm til 7.30pm in a good but dying NE'er.
I flew both LJ's, and my mate Dave flew his brand new Ezy-glider. He had all the wings / fuse taped up for extra stiffness - and it flew unbelievably well for an ezy-glder.
All was going well until he tried an inverted loop, and the canopy fell off, followed quickly by the batteries! his model was upside down facing us when it went off line, and sailed happily past us and off into the distance ( fantastically stable model!!). I was frantically trying to land andkeep an eye on his model, when I stalled my LJ 72", and also lost sight of it in thick bush way behind the carpark!
To cut a long story short - 35mins, and cuts all over our legs and arms - we retieved most of the equipment.
Sounded like at good day at Otford on Sat - we had our work xmas party unfortunately. Oh well, next time.
Greg K
GregK is offline Find More Posts by GregK
Old Dec 02, 2007, 05:21 PM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
quite a few of us had a pretty good day at Otford on sunday, lift was from marginal to really good, so all types of models got a good workout. Drew might post some pics hopefully.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 06:27 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,742 Posts
Rick and I were at Otford from about 4pm till 6pm and the ne lift was very marginal to moderately marginal.
Rick managed to maiden his new plane, which is a bit of a bitser (Elf fuse and a bagged wing and V tail).After getting the CG right, it flies very well and shows some promis with a bit more lift.

Glenn
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Dec 03, 2007, 04:38 PM
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Just recieved my new Speedo Thermo. Fast looking plane, but gonna be a tight fit to get the gear in!
Does anyone have a CG measurement for it? - There were obviously no instructions inside!!
Looking forward to getting it maidened ASAP. Maybe a nice 15knot+ wind at Otford this weekend? (touch wood)
Greg K
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:00 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,437 Posts
pm either Oz dragon flyer or Mothman both have it nailed as far as CG goes.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:37 PM
The Glider Version
Liverpool, Sydney
Joined Mar 2007
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK
Just recieved my new Speedo Thermo. Fast looking plane, but gonna be a tight fit to get the gear in!
Does anyone have a CG measurement for it? - There were obviously no instructions inside!!
Looking forward to getting it maidened ASAP. Maybe a nice 15knot+ wind at Otford this weekend? (touch wood)
Greg K
Is it the Speedo Thermo II ...??
Mighty thin fuse arent they.?
Tim flies his at Otford sometimes I think.
Glenn.
flatstick is offline Find More Posts by flatstick
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Yeh, Speedo Thermo II. Tim is away this week, and I have started the build, just wondering if anyone else knew.
Yeh the fuse in tiny!!
Greg K
Old Dec 03, 2007, 11:07 PM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
I'll check mine when I get home Greg, unfortunately I'm now using a different wing, but it should still be close. Getting it back as far as possible makes a big difference to the way she flies. Tim seems to have found the sweet spot judging by the way he was throwing it around a few weeks back.

There's a few speedo threads around here now which might give you some ideas on stock gear placement etc

What's the difference between the II and the original?
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:58 AM
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Good breeze all day for Otford. I hope someone was getting in to it. I considered a late session after work, but have dinner at the olds place .
Dunno about the original speedo-thermo, I only know of the speedo II version.
Greg K
Old Dec 07, 2007, 07:52 PM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
Speedo CG is @ 72mm Greg (roughly)

Who's on for today? Currently 20kts from the S. Will be heading down affter lunch.
Old Dec 07, 2007, 08:44 PM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
OZ let us know how it was ,Ill try to get there on Sunday arvo.

I have my ELF 60'' to maiden

Rick
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Old Dec 08, 2007, 01:14 AM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
For the amount of wind blowing, the lift was amazing... only 4 of us there too! Had some great combat sessions, and even the glass ships got a good workout.

Fred was doing some great PR work with anyone showing interest in flying, which was mighty cool considering it was taking up valuable flying time.

Brilliant days sloping overall
Old Dec 08, 2007, 02:33 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,437 Posts
Crap !!!!!! I got there there was absolutely not a soul around no one flying it was obvoiusly on the Sydney end but had a car full of scalies so wasnt going to risk them there .Went down to bald hill had a hot dog and went home this was all around 12 to 12:30 by the time I got home it looked like it had swung to the pieshop DOH!!!! .Well the cars still packed and there is always tomorrow.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Closed Thread