Closed Thread
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:23 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK
Ended up flying for 3.5 hrs yesterday down Woolooware Rd. Tim came down for a quick cruise with his ezy-glider, and then I watched my mate Dave totally destroy his terribly painted silver piece of junk ezy-glider.
It all started with a 70m dive into the trees when a battery ?fell out of the 4AA battery clip. From there on it was on for young and old - with a torn elevator, and broken spar, the ezy glider was in a world of pain. Several crashes later and Dave was sick of retrieving it from the bushes, he decides to end it all - one final throw into the abyss - straight out - no returns.
Only problem was, the ezyglider was in no condition to push through the 50 odd metres of wind to make the cliff and seal its doom. So as it turned out, it only made it half way out before crashing for its final time. Dave would of left it there - but he rightly pointed out that it was littering to leave it there! So one last retrieve from the bushes - and into boot it goes to make the trip to its final resting place - the bin!!
Funny afternoon - good consistant breeze 10 - 20 knots, and at 6.30pm it was time to call it a day. Both LJ's returned unscathed ( for a change!)

Anyone heading down the coast on the weekend? at this stage there seems to be some ?light breeze both days. Might wait and see.
Cheers,
Greg K
Damn it. I went to Bass and Flinders point and flew from the monument for a while after work.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:30 AM
slope soarer
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2006
290 Posts
Woolooware rd

I'd be interested to try the Woolooware Rd location. From the map Woolooware Rd is a long road, and the best flying site is not clear (south end or north end). Please post details of where the site is, and the wind directions its flyable

Greg
greggold is offline Find More Posts by greggold
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Well todays the day that alot of olive tress will fall over at Mt Annan anyone who wishes to help out is more than welcome we will be hitting the hill at 9:30 onwards
and will make a day of it .
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:51 PM
The Glider Version
Liverpool, Sydney
Joined Mar 2007
1,257 Posts
Well work went well at Mt Annan.....
We Now have a NNE slope that will be Fantastic.!
It will fly NE pretty well and N maybe............
Thanks all for the effort today.
Hopefully Greg Gold will post some pics.
Glenn.
flatstick is offline Find More Posts by flatstick
Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:53 AM
Cronulla, Sydney, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Greg Gold,
It is Woolooware Rd Sth - the furthest Sth point of the road in the park opposite Lomond St. You need a good throw to get out into the lift between the 2 park benches. It works well in SW-SSE, but not SE. Straight Sth is just about perfect. It is a foamie site only, as the park to land in is very small and rotary, although I flew the glass Ptero a few times on really light days with no problems.
The park is really quite too - little or no-one around - esp when there is a gusty Sthy blowing.
Had a fly there this morning - a good 20knot straight Sth wind = perfect! Anyone want to try Woolooware Rd on a Thurs or W/e - just pm me - glad to have the company
Mr Kamakazee - I tried to fly the monument at bass and flinders once or twice with limited sucess - I think it was a bit light, how did you find it?

Did anyone go down to Otford today? It was straight Sth or SSW all day -better breeze strength than predicted, but ?wrong direction?
Tomorrow looks ordinary as well for Otford? E/NE 10-15knots.
Greg K
GregK is offline Find More Posts by GregK
Old Nov 24, 2007, 04:11 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,869 Posts
bit light but direction looks ok.. heading down to take a look.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Last edited by OzDragonFlyer; Nov 24, 2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 03:17 AM
slope soarer
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2006
290 Posts
Opening of the north-east face, Mount Annan

As of yesterday, there has been a dramatic improvement - even a transformation may not be an overstatement - in the Mount Annan soaring site. The north-east face is wide open for soaring, with loads of space to manoeuvre, perform precision approaches and land, following a sustained effort by members of the WSSC. With permission from the relevant authorities (especially National Parks service), and strictly following their guidelines, pruning and trimming of non-native vegetation has been carried out, with excellent initial result.

The final result will take time to assess. There are indications that the north eastern face may generate smoother and stronger lift than previously experienced at MA. Some (including myself) have argued MA was already among the best of the sites in the Sydney region, and now I believe this claim will get much wider credence once people give it a try. Soaring in ALL wind directions may now be possible, or if this turns out to be not entirely true, only a rare set of wind conditions will now be unflyable.

For more info and a discussion, see
http://www.swenban.rchomepage.com/fo....php?f=3&t=787
greggold is offline Find More Posts by greggold
Old Nov 25, 2007, 03:44 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Jeremy flew the NE face of Mt Annan today and reports the lift was Fantastic and the landing area was very good ,He is the second person after Greg to have flown the slope and both have had good results .I always knew this slope had great potential but because of the olive trees it was a bit bumpy now with them gone smooth air .
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:28 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK
Mr Kamakazee - I tried to fly the monument at bass and flinders once or twice with limited sucess - I think it was a bit light, how did you find it?
Greg K
Yeah good. Was up for about 20 or 30 mins. Not a huge flying area as it curves around and you lose sight of it. But very good lift in the SSW'er that was blowing. Landing a bit hairy on the little grass patch to the monuments left just in front of the 1st house.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:56 PM
<< Let's go sloping >>
Caringbah
Joined Jan 2007
133 Posts
Did anyone hear what happened to the 2 paragliders that disappeared into the fog yesterday afternoon at Otford?? Wondering if the Westpac helicopter found them at all. I noticed an ambulance with sirens going coming down from the freeway as I was heading home about 5:45 pm. Hope the fog lifted for them as it would be hard to see as the light got less.
Tim
Moth Man is offline Find More Posts by Moth Man
Last edited by Moth Man; Nov 25, 2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:23 PM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,869 Posts
I heard sirens as well tim when I got home around 4.30pm. When Steve,John and I were flying earlier we had 2 very close calls with paras flying past at almost arms length without warning.. one almost clipped the small tree we usually sit under. We also saw 2 have a near midair with brief exchange of words afterwards.

Turned into a good day once the wind picked up though!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:47 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,143 Posts
Dave,
After you had left there was a real wall of cloud coming in from the South. You could see it coming up the coast.
I was up flying my Vector and all of a sudden a hang glider land slightly downwind and awkwardly (he looked like he was rushed and needed to land immediately) right in front of our launch area. There were two paragliders just to the North circling like they were trying to get down. I then looked to the South and everything was in fog about 100m from where we were flying. I could see why these guys were so anxious to land. The way home to Bald Hill and Stanwell Park was now impassable! I landed my model immediately and as I did so the fog rolled in right over where we were. I could only see the two paragliders for a few more seconds and then everything was a white out.
We assisted the hangie who had landed and he got a lift to Bald Hill to get his car.
But I wonder what happened to the two paraglider guys?
F
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:14 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Most of those guys wouldnt carry a radio i guess, but maybe would have a mobile phone? Not sure how phone reception would be down the bottom of the hill.

Hope they were OK.
Didnt see anything about it in the news today though, so thats good i guess.
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:18 PM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,869 Posts
that explains it.. that fog was terrible! I bet a few of us skipped a heartbeat when we lost sight of our models at one stage or another.

Out of curiosity I emailed pete from the HGFA regarding yesterdays events and he's shown concern about the increasing number of incidents. He's suggested that the nswssa committee and/or members turn up for their annual general meeting at the kiosk on the 8th December for lunch or dinner, (depending on if it's a flying day or not) even asking that a few models be taken down and setup so the pilots can see up close exactly what they are dealing with.

Maybe a jart or 3m calypso with a few kgs of ballast would adjust a few pilots attitudes

This would be a great opportunity to get our clubs cooperating a little better.
Last edited by OzDragonFlyer; Nov 25, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:41 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,595 Posts
Good idea Dave, I will be in Melbourne that weekend but will donate my very pointy nose Jart for some scar tactics, or the 2kg Drongo. We should also stress that our planes are capable of very high speeds (300mph) and are not toys.
Sorry to put you in Rick, but all this sort of correspondence should be dealt with by the treasurer of the club.

Glenn
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Closed Thread