SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:00 PM
Shhhhh
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Jan 2006
614 Posts
Hi there Steve....

I used carbon fibre arrow shaft as the outer in the wings of my Discus....perfect ID for the carbon rod....I then filled the wing cavity with expanding foam after epoxying in the new C/F tubes.....strong as @#%* and no wing flex.....I tested it quite a few times at near supersonic speed from high dives and was sure the wings would fold in the bottom turn....but only minor flex and the whistle of high speed happy air molecules...

FWIW I also filled the back 1/3 of the tail with expanding foam and it gives good strength without tooo much extra weight...even filled the vert stab as well....I have used this method on 3 planes now to good effect (Mini Ventus, Discus and ASW 28)

Roachie
Roachie is offline Find More Posts by Roachie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,389 Posts
I used kevlar in mine Roachie but while the expanding foam is good ,Its not the best in compression and will crush . Not to concerned by the small amount added weight by the joiner bar ,as to the supplied carbon rod with the Discus makes a good epoxy stirring stick
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:25 PM
Cronulla, Sydney, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Hey all,
With the weekend looking all NE, I was thinking of a fly at Mark's Park on Sunday PM. Anyone interessted? I haven't flown there for 5 years or more - looking forward to it.
Greg K
P.S the LJ 72" has been rebuilt - we have the technology..... better, stronger, faster! time to bend it on some backpackers?
GregK is offline Find More Posts by GregK
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:40 PM
The Glider Version
Liverpool, Sydney
Joined Mar 2007
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK
............. time to bend it on some backpackers?
Its not the Victims that stay " Down " you have to worry about, its their friends
or ones that get up again that you have to look out for
flatstick is offline Find More Posts by flatstick
Old Nov 16, 2007, 05:08 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,394 Posts
I found that the Japanese don't know the correct protocol when you fly into them with an EPP Wing. And if you make out like that is half the fun and quite normal, they nod and agree with you.

Well they nodded and had a brief chat in Japanese. I think they were agreeing with me.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 16, 2007, 05:34 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,918 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,
With the weekend looking all NE, I was thinking of a fly at Mark's Park on Sunday PM. Anyone interessted? I haven't flown there for 5 years or more - looking forward to it.
Greg K
P.S the LJ 72" has been rebuilt - we have the technology..... better, stronger, faster! time to bend it on some backpackers?

Sunday is the last day of Sculptures by the Sea. I think there may be a lot of people in and around Marks Park. It usually gets really busy on the last day, esp. if the sun is out.
me_wantee is online now Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Nov 16, 2007, 05:41 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Yeh, im not sure id like to try to land a 72"LJ in marks park on Sunday.
I think on weekends they have 'official people' there to explain the crap... err... art, so you might find the council ranger or police asking you to stop flying.

just a thought.
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:54 PM
<< Let's go sloping >>
Caringbah
Joined Jan 2007
133 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,
Greg K
Greg, I might give you a ring after lunch to see if you'd like to fly at Neptune Park at Coogee (Sth of the beach). Bit closer than Marks Park for us and shouldn't be as crowded. Looks like a nice NE'er around 2pm onwards. Speedo would be quite flyable there as a good LZ in the park.
Cheers
Tim
Moth Man is offline Find More Posts by Moth Man
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
<< Let's go sloping >>
Caringbah
Joined Jan 2007
133 Posts
Had a nice fly at Coogee yesterday arvo when the breeze started to pick up around 2:30pm. Got some great height with the EZG and then GregK turned up with his 2 Lumberjacks (after visiting Marks Park and finding it crowded out with people in chairs listening to a rally). The breeze had strengthened so I started flying the Speedo which enjoyed the stronger breeze. The seagulls loved flying with the EZG and would have made a great photo with the EZG soaring with a flock of about 3 doz gulls with lovely blue sky as background. Lots of comments from the public as usual of how nice it is watching the quiet planes gliding past and how agile they can be out over the water.
TJ
Moth Man is offline Find More Posts by Moth Man
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:29 PM
The Glider Version
Liverpool, Sydney
Joined Mar 2007
1,257 Posts
MAGIC...!!!
Wish you did get a Photo.
Glenn.
flatstick is offline Find More Posts by flatstick
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Yeh,
Good day out. Only problem was I didn't get to read the remarks about the crowds in Mark's park expected on Sunday(didn't log on all weekend!). After walking 10mins with 3 planes, controls, spares, lunch, bags, camera's , babies etc, etc it was a complete right off. No chance of flying!!! They had a 1 hour presentation right where you normally fly with TV cameras, press, radio stations etc, etc.
Had a quick lunch, a quick look at the "junk" littering the park, and then a nice fly at neptune park( after a long walk back to the car).
Got the 72"LJ re- balanced, and flying better than ever. Nice day out, thanks for the call Tim.
Greg K
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:14 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,712 Posts
There were some guys flying down there last year while the junk by the sea was on, and were asked a number of times (by the public) what the number of there exhibit was so they could vote for them.
Now there's an excuse to fly if I ever herd one, I wonder if I can get a government grant for that?

Glenn
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:28 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,394 Posts
It's South at about 30kph. I'm hitting the cliffs just north of Coogee around 4:30 to 5:00 if anyone is interested.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
189 Posts
Ended up flying for 3.5 hrs yesterday down Woolooware Rd. Tim came down for a quick cruise with his ezy-glider, and then I watched my mate Dave totally destroy his terribly painted silver piece of junk ezy-glider.
It all started with a 70m dive into the trees when a battery ?fell out of the 4AA battery clip. From there on it was on for young and old - with a torn elevator, and broken spar, the ezy glider was in a world of pain. Several crashes later and Dave was sick of retrieving it from the bushes, he decides to end it all - one final throw into the abyss - straight out - no returns.
Only problem was, the ezyglider was in no condition to push through the 50 odd metres of wind to make the cliff and seal its doom. So as it turned out, it only made it half way out before crashing for its final time. Dave would of left it there - but he rightly pointed out that it was littering to leave it there! So one last retrieve from the bushes - and into boot it goes to make the trip to its final resting place - the bin!!
Funny afternoon - good consistant breeze 10 - 20 knots, and at 6.30pm it was time to call it a day. Both LJ's returned unscathed ( for a change!)

Anyone heading down the coast on the weekend? at this stage there seems to be some ?light breeze both days. Might wait and see.
Cheers,
Greg K
Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:29 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
Based on Seabreeze.com.au Sunday pm would appear to be the most suitable for Otford. ~10knots SE/ESE.
F
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Closed Thread