HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2007, 05:39 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
Discussion
WW2 Tank Buster - some thoughts (and maybe actions)

It's been a long time since I've done any real building what with finger injuries and moving house etc and I was starting to get twitchy
A couple of Peter Rake builds are in the wings but being impatient I thought I'd try a quick and dirty design/build of a plane that has always fascinated me - The Henschel HS129B. Not the prettiest aircraft the Luftwaffe used but it has an aggressive, purposeful look about it - a bit the way a Beaufighter has but without the nice curves!
I'd love to build a bigger one 'properly' someday with balsa etc so decided on a small Depron version to try some ideas. I've made a few Depron scale models before - a 40" Tiger moth was very successful as one of my first home grown models and the slab-sided HS129 seemed an ideal subject for this medium.

There is plenty of info around on the HS129 - 3 views from Airwar.ru were enlarged to give a span of about 48" which if kept to about 32oz, should result in a model easily powered by a pair of 400/480 equiv outrunner 'bell' motors.

Undercarriage would be fixed but I'll keep looking for some suitable lightweight retracts. I'll make no guarantees that this project will be completed any time soon - but makes an interesting design exercise.

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; May 17, 2007 at 07:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2007, 05:49 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
Here is a 3-view (probably from airwar.ru) suitably scaled and printed out to give a 48" span. This results in 9" scale prop size, 2.75" wheels and a fuselage around 34" in length. Should be easy to keep under 32 oz.

The fuselage will be 3mm depron with soft balsa stock to join all the edges together and give some 'meat' for rounding. The nose and tail sections can be foam or balsa block.

Wings will be 3mm depron skins with a balsa LE and Balsa Flaperons - with a servo in each wing and aileron/flap mixing in the trannie. Mainspar will be 1/4" balsa sheet, full chord depth and tapered to the tip. The spar should also carry wheel and engine loads.

As with most short-nose planes, getting it balanced will probably need the battery up in the nose, but with engines protruded quite a lot ahead of the LE, this may not be too difficult.

I dont anticipate adding too much detail on this - I'd just like to see if it builds easily and is perhaps capable of flying.

Anyway - I love building

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old May 16, 2007, 06:00 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Hi Maltone,

I had to google it to see what a HENSCHEL is!! Great looking plane, good luck. I found this link which may be useful?

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...w%3D1%26sa%3DG
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old May 16, 2007, 07:50 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
JJ - thanks for the link to the Bently drawings.

I cut the fuselage bottom from 3mm Depron sheet and blocked it up to get the correct shape - mostly flat tilted up at the front and rear. Next I have to coax some balsa strip around the edges.
Plenty of room for a 2000mA 3S LIPO ahead of the wing.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2007, 08:26 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Hi Maltone,
Great choice of aircraft.
I think if you do a search, someone did a really nice build of one about a year ago. Ended up looking very nice indeed. Might be some useful tips in there if you can find it.
Also, if you are looking for light but tough retracts I seem to be reading some good things about the new Alfa retracts over at Hobby Lobby. Might be worth checking them out.
Cheers and good luck.
Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old May 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,475 Posts
Pat

In case you're not aware : there is a model of the Hs 129 on the market in Europe.

http://www.paf-flugmodelle.de/HS%20129/henschel.htm

It has a fibreglass fuselage and balsa skinned wings. At 185 it's a serious chunk of money. My LHS has a very dusty kit at the back of the shop, but unfortunately the price is regularly bumped up to be in line with the current new price.

I've offered him 50 to take it off his hands, but he still dreams of the day someone will offer him big bucks for it.

Chris P
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old May 16, 2007, 08:52 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,794 Posts
You should check out this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=hs+129

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 16, 2007, 11:26 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
Thanks for the pointers to others threads and info - no lack of material. This is an experiment to see if a model can be built direct from a 3-view! - saves all that drawing.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2007, 01:49 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
Hello Maltone,
Many years ago, "Life" magazine published a larger format book titled something like Life Magazine's Picture History of World War II. Somewhere in it was an excellent picture of the business end of a Hs 129 that had crashed in the North African desert during the war. It was a frontal view, a large picture that would be good for detailing the nose of your model. I don't know how available a copy of this book would be in your libraries, but you might find it interesting if you run across it. Good luck with your project; as your 3-views show, it was a rather short-nosed bird, but had some heavy weapon(s) in the nose. Altogether, a serious anti-tank machine.

Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old May 17, 2007, 04:20 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone
I dont anticipate adding too much detail on this
Bwahahahahahahahahaha
Hear that one before, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone
Anyway - I love building
It's great to know you're feeling sufficiently recovered to have a go at a new project.

Watch out for the pointy wings - I think you'll need a fair bit of washout and I'd recommend thinning the airfoil towards the tips
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old May 17, 2007, 04:42 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
A little progress
Thanks for the advice WIP - ye of little faith! I was even thinking of not carving the gun troughs!
This beast, while it is rather slab sided, has bulges, lumps and troughs all over the front end - like its later mate , the A10, it is really a bunch of guns with a fuselage wrapped around it! I may experiment with the bulgy bits later.
The wings are not as pointy as some but I'll see if I can jig up some washout.

After gluing some triangular stock along the bottom edges, working from the enlarged 3-view, I traced the various cross-sections, removed 3mm all round (for the skin) and called them formers. These were CA'ed to the bottom skin and checked for alignment - then two balsa longerons from the cockpit to the tailcone were glued in place. The laminated foam nose and the tailcone were then hacked into a rough shape.

I had heard that the secret to any sculpture is to simply remove all the stuff that doesn't look like (in this case) an HS-129 . Seems to have worked so far.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2007, 04:46 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
In case anyone was wondering, I AM thinking about wing mounting, servos etc as I go When the airfoil section has been decided, I'll cut a whole section out of the fuselage and put in doublers etc. This should also give access to the servos. (hopefully)

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2007, 05:06 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
Since some folk may not know the aircraft - here is a 3-view (the one I'm using) and a photo of the beast.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; May 17, 2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: changing Oz to english spelling!
Old May 17, 2007, 06:19 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
To make life a little easier on myself, the two HS55 tail servos got installed now - difficult to get bearers etc inplace after everything is covered! They will be glued to additional timber in the wing bolt department later.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2007, 07:09 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,979 Posts
The fuse frame was lain over a sheet of 3mm Depron and the two sides marked out, then cut and glued to the frame.
The top has been left open until a few internal details are finalised - tailwheel mount, pushrod tubes etc.

Pat
RCG Plus Member