Old May 15, 2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Discussion
Let's Talk About Flight Sim's. Programs and Radio's

Hi Everyone

Well,.. I did a search on flight sims and found several people using them and they range from RealFlight g3, AreoFly Deluxe Star Flight, RC Helicopter Indoor Flight Sim, Cockpit Master Backyard Edition.

Well I purchased the $25 Shipped ESky Flight Sim with Software and Radio and I've bookmarked several places that i've seen flight sim software for download, and i most of the stuff talked about so i'm interested in seeing which ones you folks use or if you dont use one or have thought about getting one which one.

I'm pretty sure that the ESky radio will work with the other sims so i hope i can find a good one that will teach out to fly vs. one that might be more of a game and not a tool for teaching.

So,.. please if you use one tell us about it and what you like and dont like about it.

Oh,.. And always, Include screen shots.

Thanks.
CNH A.K.A. Jim.
Crash-n-Hard is offline Find More Posts by Crash-n-Hard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2007, 12:52 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
Realflight is the best I've seen, but reflex is pretty good, but I'd like to try aerofly. They all have a bit of a game feeling, if you make it so, as they all lack the nervous feeling you get, throwing money around the sky. I'm an advocate of sim a little, get a real model asap and learn along with it, and use the sim for 3d etc..

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old May 16, 2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroback
Realflight is the best I've seen, but reflex is pretty good, but I'd like to try aerofly. They all have a bit of a game feeling, if you make it so, as they all lack the nervous feeling you get, throwing money around the sky. I'm an advocate of sim a little, get a real model asap and learn along with it, and use the sim for 3d etc..

Rhett
Do you own Realflight and Reflex or just seen it?
Did you start with a kit like the one i bought or was your radio able to accept the flight sim PC USB cable?

Which one are you currently using?

Thanks.
Jim.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:58 PM
Orland, Northern California
Joined Dec 2005
168 Posts
Tried almost all of them. I own Reflex and Phoenix. Phoenix is the weinner of all of them.

Craig
Gravity Victim is offline Find More Posts by Gravity Victim
Old May 16, 2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Victim
Tried almost all of them. I own Reflex and Phoenix. Phoenix is the weinner of all of them.

Craig
Craig,... are you talking about this MFG? http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/...m=All+Products

Do you have a link to the software your talking about. this is what i find searching google.

Thank you.

Jim

{Edited} Never Mind,... I found it. thanks for the info. Looks like interesting software.

Anyone else have their favorite Sim software that they like to use?
Old May 17, 2007, 06:47 AM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Hi Everyone.
Well, I got my FMS Flight Sim stuff yeaterday and I must say that I am so glad that I bought this because without first using this Sim software I would have crashed my Heli before it even left the ground.

When I first used the flight sim man I was all over the place, I played around with it for about 8 hours lastnight and I've got a pretty good hang of the Hovering in the Sim but it makes me wonder how close is Flying the Sim to Real Life RC Heli Flying,....

But anyway,... This is one purchase I am glad I bought for this new hobby of mine.

Oh,... by the way, If anyone happens to see the Honey Bee King v1 or v2 Model for FMS or AeroFly Sime Software Please send me a P.M. or something to it's location so i can download it because that is the Helicopter that I bought and want to start learning to fly it thru the Sim.

More later.
Thanks for stopping by.
CNH A.K.A. Jim.
Old May 17, 2007, 07:12 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts
I own Reflex and G3, Reflex is harder to get set up and requires a good video card with a good bit memory but is more realistic than G3, IMO. They have some pretty interesting additions that are either out by now are will be available soon. I actually like Real Flight G2 better than G3, except for the photo fields, the helis were easier to set up. Its all a matter of how much money you want spend and personal preference.

Stan
Stan Carter is offline Find More Posts by Stan Carter
Old May 17, 2007, 09:38 AM
Joined Dec 2005
168 Posts
Crash, how close it is to real flying depends on the sim being used. Most of the heli sims are close enough to show you that "flying" a rc heli is no simple task. You should spend loads of time hovering and landing, hovering and landing. At first keep the tail pointed towards you all of the time until you can take off and land every time without piling up. The goal you are working for is muscle memory. Being able to counter the helis movements and keep it still in one place. After that is second nature for you, you can start in on fast forward flight (fff) turns piros, all of that fun stuff. Have fun!
Craig
Old May 17, 2007, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2005
168 Posts
Here is a link to some FMS stuff. Didnt see the Honeybee right off. http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine_eng/i...3bde1fdf8063c3
Craig
Old May 17, 2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Carter
I own Reflex and G3, Reflex is harder to get set up and requires a good video card with a good bit memory but is more realistic than G3, IMO.
Stan
Yeah thats pretty expensive. I think I'll stick with FMS for now until something comes up later.

Quote:
How close it is to real flying depends on the sim being used.
I'm using FMS which came with the ESky Package EK2-0905A.

Quote:
You should spend loads of time hovering and landing, hovering and landing.
I have been,... can't really do much more than that with out crashing.

I got a couple questions about Flying a Sim Heli.
When i fly lets say the T-Rex Heli, It almost seems to easy to Hover. I mean all I have to do is push the Left stick up past 1/2 way and it goes up, Push it down the heli moves down or lands, Up, Down, Up, Down. Easy. While Hovering, I push the Left Stick Left the heli turns left, I push the Stick Right, The Heli turns Right. All while Hovering.

Is it really that easy to fly the T-Rex Heli? I have the Blade CP Heli Sim Model also and it's the same way pretty much.

So what I have been doing is this. I set the left stick so that I'm at a hover about 6` off the ground, Then with my right thumb i practice moving or flying the Heli Forward, Backward, Sideways Left, Sideways Right and I can even get the Heli to fly around me nose first in circles without even using the Left Stick to turn or adjust it's height off the ground.

I really get confused with the Direction the Heli is Facing or it's Pitch once it gets, Ummm,... Hmmm. Hard to say in the Sim but I'd say 30` I guess away from me and I crash. I dont think it will be that hard to see in real life that close.

So I'm wondering if Flying a RC Helicopter with the Radio setup correctly that easy to go up and down, Turn right and Left with?

Quote:
Here is a link to some FMS stuff. Didnt see the Honeybee right off. http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine_eng/...d3bde1fdf8063c3
Craig
Hehe,... Oh yeah, Already a member and been downloading a couple Heli's and your right,... No King version 1 or 2 there but thanks for looking for me.

+K (Karma) Goes out to the both of you for the help and suggestions.

Anyone else have knowledge using FMS and want to chat about it or have seen the Honey Bee King Model around somewhere?

CNH A.K.A. Jim.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
Phoenix is better than Reflex imho, as an owner of both plus Phoenix will shortly be upgraded to v1.4 which looks to be a major re-write of an already good sim to improve the realism even more.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old May 17, 2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve990
Phoenix is better than Reflex imho, as an owner of both plus Phoenix will shortly be upgraded to v1.4 which looks to be a major re-write of an already good sim to improve the realism even more.
I read somewhere that the Phoenix Sim doesnt work with the USB Dummy TX that I have which came with the Package I bought.

1. does that sim work with a USB cable?
2. do you know if the controller i have will work since you have both? Or do you just have the FMS software?

Thank you for the replies.

CNH
Old May 17, 2007, 01:14 PM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash-n-Hard
I read somewhere that the Phoenix Sim doesnt work with the USB Dummy TX that I have which came with the Package I bought.

1. does that sim work with a USB cable?
2. do you know if the controller i have will work since you have both? Or do you just have the FMS software?

Thank you for the replies.

CNH
The Phoenix has it's own USB interface cable. The cable is a sw protection dongle as well. The cable connects to the trainer port of the Tx (uses the ppm signal). There are optional interface plugs for the different Tx brands.

It is not working with a USB dummy Tx.

Phoenix is my favorite simulator. Best heli physics I tried, very good graphics, and some great blings, like water effects...

FMS is free, and very good for the first efforts, learning directions etc. Unfortunately pretty far from a real heli.

ClearView is a big step ahead, much better physics and graphics for a great price. Working with your usb dummy.

AFP has great graphics, and very good physics for planes, but not as good as Phoenix in helis.
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Last edited by mmormota; May 17, 2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old May 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
volts x amps = watts.
Denver
Joined Sep 2006
2,146 Posts
I have AFPD, and the heli physics feel only a little better than FSone. FSone is terrible for heli reaslism, way oversimplified. FSone and AFPD are both great for plankers, but heli realism is lacking. I've been using Realflight G3 and 3.5 and it's the most realistic, by far. I have not used Reflex or Phoenix, but have heard good things about both.

I just wish more poeple would develop models for G3.5, most of the other sims seem to have lots of freelance models to download and install.
Wheelhaus is offline Find More Posts by Wheelhaus
Old May 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
I have own AFPD, and Pheonix and tried RealFlight 3.5 a bunch of times at my LHS.

I perfer Pheonix for Heli's hands down. AFPD for Planes. Realfight is all around good.
Any of these sims will give you the basics you knead for "Eye Hand", but nothing is better then the real thng!

One thing I've had great fun with is the multiplayer mode in Pheonix. It's great to be
able to fly with people all over the world. I believe realflight has Mutiplayer also. Not
sure about AFPD. I just haven't checked into it.
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn