Old May 15, 2007, 09:27 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Build Log
Mini size Boeing 314 Clipper

Howdy All

I had actually decided on a Coronado as a design and build project BUT lol i couldnt pass up the 314 ..

I am designing this to be a 32 inch span and have an undercambered wing .. it will use EDP-50 GWS 12mm brushed motors direct drive.. 3 inch Props and probably a 1200 2 cell poly

A Special thanks to Clive (Airboatflyingshp) for all his help in obtaining 3 views and pics .. He really does alot in this and other forums to promote Float planes and Flying boats ..

The plans are in progress now .. i just need to work up the Hull and Fuse sides .. Im trying to make this as simple as possible while trying to keep it looking like a 314 .. i will be using 6mm bluecor cut in half thickness wise to 3mm .. so you could use depron on this if you have the 3mm stuff ..

Stay Tuned and Subscribe ..

Just a few teaser pics are posted ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Last edited by Vyceroy; May 15, 2007 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2007, 10:19 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
sweet plane. shoud be purdy
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 16, 2007, 05:30 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Can't wait to see this thing come together!!

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old May 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Cheers Ron ........... some would say I'm stalking their threads but its for their own good you know

For pictures and plans of the original Seawings has FAB resources http://www.seawings.co.uk/ http://www.seawings.co.uk/B314picgal.htm http://www.seawings.co.uk/boeingb-314plansgal.htm .......... for history of the Clippers you can look in the Sticky page 3.

Ron or others I have some trouble getting my head round the GWS motor systems........ can you show us some links /picks .... Im looking for an equivalent for the KPo system used on a lot of electric FF models.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 16, 2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old May 16, 2007, 10:14 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Here is a link to GWS's EDP(Electric Direct Power) systems .. i have used the EDP-50 alot but they do have smaller systems ..

GWS Direct Drive Power Systems

These are the Props i plan on using ..Scroll down to the 3 and 4 blade ..
They are Variable pitch

Small Props
Old May 16, 2007, 10:17 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Worked on the Hull and Fuselage until 1 am lastnight .. transfering from what you have in your head as a 3 dimensional object to a 2 dimensional layout is tough .. harder than i remember with the Goose lol

The first draft of the fuse is done.. I need to get the hotwire from a friend going so i can split some bluecor in half and build the first of many fuselages until i get it right ..
Old May 16, 2007, 03:04 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Local Flying Buddy just dropped off the hotwire setup .. Thanks Matt and Tim i owe ya ..

I will attempt to cut out the first Fuselage draft tonight or tomorrow depending on how things go here .. i have no doubt there will be many revisions before i get her how i want ..

Homefly.com was out of the small 3 blade props .. he is searching for more .. if he cant find any i found some from a place in the UK i can order from ..
Old May 16, 2007, 09:17 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Just so you dont think im slacking off lol .. heres a sample of the first draft of the plans ..this will be one of many drafts...
Old May 16, 2007, 10:46 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Hot wire is set up and working wonderfully .. Thanks Tim .. i had to run a smaller diameter piece of wire , then it really started cutting well .. i am going to make a verticle cutter tomorrow so i can cut the pieces out with a better edge .. Hopefully i will have a few pics of progress then ..
Old May 17, 2007, 11:52 AM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
805 Posts
vyceroy, I'm finally getting in on this multi engine FFF seaplane deal. I want 4 motors but I'm thinking of an easier airframe to start with. the cl415 seems like a simple airframe to build and easily made a 4 engine bird. I would love your insight into my planned setup.

~70" span with full airfoil
4 geared J250 motors with 7-9" props. should give between 7-9oz thrust ea.
single gws 480 controller
setup for row or belly landings.

never built a fff plane this size, any thoughts on what the airframe only weight would be? I was hoping to keep it around 16oz. unrealistic??

hoping for auw of around 30-35oz
REVKEV6 is offline Find More Posts by REVKEV6
Old May 17, 2007, 12:25 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Kev even 2 pounds is unrealistic with a plane this size .. The Johnson 250s will be ok as long as you run them geared ,I would say a 5.33 to 1 knowing how hot the 250 is .. I wont be doing one of that size .. just not practicle for me .. battery cost would be killer ..
Old May 17, 2007, 12:34 PM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
805 Posts
what would a realistic expectation be?
I want this to be a slow flyer with slowstick like speed range.
Old May 17, 2007, 12:57 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
it would be hard for me to specualte .. covering material determins alot .. batteries

i would hesitate to guess
Old May 17, 2007, 01:02 PM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
805 Posts
no covering besides packing tape reinforcement. batteries would be a thunderpower 2100 2c. about 3oz. j250's only draw 5-6 amps each.

also a consideration, I could pick up a pair of towerpro bp21 combo's and make it scale. that would require a battery purchase though, looking at close to 30 amps 3cell there...... 40oz's of thrust though
Old May 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVKEV6
what would a realistic expectation be?
I want this to be a slow flyer with slowstick like speed range.
Hi your talking smaller motors than I m used to but take a look at Ivan Pettigrews designs for geared GWS set ups hes only using old 8-9 cell Nicads or Nimhs but when your span gets to that size Nimhs become usefull ballast and are cheap take a look at Peter Angus's work as well.

For larger foam craft structure see HawianSporks pusher from last year in the waterplanes foam links or the german Seaduck? twinboom retro style pusher Pelican?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...?t=523416&pp=15 or the german Seaduck?
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 17, 2007 at 01:19 PM.