HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,988 Posts
Discussion
Longest SpeedWing 250MKII build in history! EDIT*** MAIDEN FLIGHT!!!!

Hard to imagine but I actually finished my first wing. Fun build and the wing is quite strong. Things kept getting in the way and I ended up taking 2 months to finish this thing?! Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get in a maiden.
SpeedWing 250MK II
Covered with Tower Hobbies Tower Kote film.
HS55 servos, GWS 4ch rx, Phoenix 10 esc.
Fiegao 34t outrunner, GWS 4x4 prop
Common Sense 3s 1250mah 10c lipo

Weight w/out lipo 6 7/8oz (196g)
Weight with lipo 10 5/8oz (300g)

Static run on whattmeter: 11.1amps 121watts

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone. Should be a good flyer and keep me busy. Nice change from my sport aerobatic models.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CSI; May 16, 2007 at 10:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2007, 08:21 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Looks very nice ken. Only thing I would have done different is to keep the tiplets white. For me, this is very necessary as it is the only vertical reference I can see much of the time. Black will be much harder to see. Other then that, you have a great looking build and it should be very fun.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old May 15, 2007, 12:45 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,988 Posts
Thanks Rodger. I see your point about the tiplets. I can probably come up with something to brighten them up. They are just 1/16" lite ply and the white iron on would stick well. I sure don't need to have any extra orientation problems with such a tiny, thin wing than already exist!
Still waiting on the maiden.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2007, 10:32 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,988 Posts
OHHHH YEAH, we have maiden!!! I am stoked! Got a break in the wind and weather today so after work I grabbed the wing, radio, and ....wife.
Found the softest spot I could find in Del Rio and set up for some power off test glides. The glides went ok but it seemed to want to gently roll off to the left. On the third glide, with the hardest toss yet, it rolled and the left tiperon pulled loose. I didn't have any CA with me so I am getting pretty ticked. I look at it some more and verify the tiperon is juet holding on by a small 1" section near the bottom. I couldn't stand not at least hearing the motor so I figure I will give it another toss and "just power up a tiny bit for a longer straight ahead glide. I hit the power and...well....the glide ended up going straight up and specked out in about 3" Got some trim in there and then just let it haul butt. I flew it around for about 12 minutes and kept lining up for landing, but it was flying so good I just kept screaming along low level all around the field. By this time my wife tells me I have about 15 people gathered watching me. Finally after about 15 minutes I set it down gently and smile! The tiperon was still hanging by a thread?!
Amazing flight and I can't wait to get out there again. Flying RC for 35+ yrs and I can't remember having a better time.
Thanks Acer, great airplane and great service answering all my questions.
I think it's time to finally pull out the Stryker airframe that I have, with big plans for a mega-power ship! Good ending to the day...
Ken
BTW: Rodger, to tell you the truth, I don't think I could have told you if my tiperons were black, white, pink, or polka dotted. All I saw was a redish streak whizzing by.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2007, 10:50 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Looks great CSI! Very nicely built

It sounds like you had a fun time with the maiden flight. As for the tiplets, did you rough up the area where they are glued to the wing? This is an important step as it gives the CA something to bite to.

I'm glad you had a successful and fun maiden. The SpeedWing 250 MK II is one of my favorites

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old May 17, 2007, 11:04 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,988 Posts
Thanks Acer,
Matter of fact, I didn't roughen them up...should have known better. They are lite ply and it just didn't dawn on me to roughen them, yet I roughen every other part of each plane I build...old age brain fart again
I didn't go with the coroplast due to our excessively rough terrain here. I knew they wouldn't be able to last. If they ever start to pop off again I will do it the correct way and roughen them.
Thanks for producing such nice kits. I look forward to my next one....either a very light, slow flying parkie, or go for broke 400mkII. Tough decision and I'm sure I will end up with both eventually.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Not a problem The coro tiplets are actually extremely durable, BUT you'll be a little faster using the ply tiplets as they have alot less drag.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old May 19, 2007, 02:18 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,988 Posts
Since I didn't have the coroplast holes to thread the antenna through I just cut the slot at the wingtip straight through to the bottom of the wing. I cut a similar slot along the bottom of the wing and ran the antenna back towards the center. Nice and clean and no range problems at all.
I am using a GWS 4x4 prop and Common Sense 10c 3s 1250 lipo. After at least 10 minutes of spirited flying I checked both the motor and lipo for temp. The lipo didn't warm up ANY at all...room temp. The motor was slightly warm. I guess that's good for equipment longevity, but wondering if there is anything I can do to push up the performance any? I was surprised since this is only a 6amp? motor and the static run was 11 amps. I don't want to hurt the motor, but am I using it at it's best efficiency?
I'm quite happy with my first wing and can't wait to add a few more to my collection. Great product!!!
Ken
RCG Plus Member