Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 12, 2007, 03:00 PM
Alexandria, VA
Joined Mar 2006
983 Posts
Question
Has anyone tried Nightflying with the Rex 450?

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried night blades and a light package setup on a trex 450?

I recently was out with a buddy and he had the big brother Rex 600 fitted with night blades and the works. He was tossing that around the sky at night and you can really see how the heli is lying in the sky. I think I could get addicted to that!

Now to my question, is it worth outfitting the little Rex with a night package?
I know the equipment is out there but is it a waste of time and money for a heli that size? I would be looking to set up my second "throwdown" Rex.

Thanks for any advice,
Paul
Bunyan is offline Find More Posts by Bunyan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2007, 03:30 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2006
692 Posts
I have my trex SE setup for night flying and it's pretty cool. You can still definetly see the heli well. The only downside I have is that the extra weight makes it fly a little worse for 3D, but it still flies very well. The new white gel coated align night blades are probably the best ones.

Seeing the heli with a night setup is very cool though.
Mini-Dub is offline Find More Posts by Mini-Dub
Old May 12, 2007, 05:32 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2005
222 Posts
I've got night blades, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get the rest of the heli lit up. I'm a bit wary too of having to install an inverter, glowwire and wiring, so I would prefer the simpler solution of strapping a few glowsticks here and there.

Has anyone here experience with glowsticks ? What diameter and length do you use ? Are they bright enough ? How does their weight compare with a similar glowwire setup ?
mille is online now Find More Posts by mille
Old May 12, 2007, 06:28 PM
Its up... Nope its not
Portland, OR
Joined Jun 2006
563 Posts
I use the night blades and strap on glow sticks and it works good. One on each skid of differing colors and one or 2 short ones on tail. I get my glow sticks @ the dollar store.
raven_darkcloud is offline Find More Posts by raven_darkcloud
Old May 12, 2007, 06:30 PM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille
I've got night blades, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get the rest of the heli lit up. I'm a bit wary too of having to install an inverter, glowwire and wiring, so I would prefer the simpler solution of strapping a few glowsticks here and there.

Has anyone here experience with glowsticks ? What diameter and length do you use ? Are they bright enough ? How does their weight compare with a similar glowwire setup ?
I have night blades too, yet to set up a glowwire system but this is what I see on it.

The advantages to a glow wire over glowsticks are weight, brightness, price and it doesnt "die" after one time use making you buy it all again each time. Glow wire can be wrapped around the tailboom or canopy also. It would be much easier just to wire in the inverter and use glow wire (My plan, but I am going to buy another canopy and boom to permanatly attach the wire.

Joel
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old May 12, 2007, 11:52 PM
Alexandria, VA
Joined Mar 2006
983 Posts
Thanks guys for the tipps! I wonder what the all up weight would be. Or better yet what the total weight of the night setup would be.

It really is a pretty cool picture to see in the sky! No wonder people believe in UFO's!!
Old May 13, 2007, 03:22 AM
Joined Jan 2006
862 Posts
Too scared to try night flying, hard enough to see the 450 n the day time
BOING is offline Find More Posts by BOING
Old May 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
Destructive testing expert!
Bemidji, MN
Joined Dec 2003
903 Posts
Don't be scared to give it a try. It's actually easier to see at night if you light it up well. Good lit bades are the most important! You can make your own with Align 325 pros, some LEDs, copper tape, and some button cells.

I used the Align light rope and inverter. They say to not run it off 3S so I hooked up two LEDs in series and put them under a white plastic canopy. Really lights it up well.

I also put LEDs in colored plastic soda straws and attached them to the skids.

In the air it's VERY visible!

Give it a try! It's really a lot of fun!

Bill
Bill Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Bill Sanford
Old May 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
Alexandria, VA
Joined Mar 2006
983 Posts
Bill, that's quite resourceful! I like it.

I guess I'll have to give it a try now. I'm not sure if I'm as creative as you but my T-rexes are flying great at the moment, so why not tempt fate and give it a whirl...

PS, I'd like to try and make my own, but I'm not even sure where to get copper tape and LED's and I only know Buttons on clothes...
Old May 13, 2007, 11:05 PM
Crash Hard!!!
Moultrie, Ga
Joined Jul 2004
315 Posts
I used hyperion night blades and a glow wire setup. My glow driver is a no name that runs off a 3 cell. So I just added an extra plug to my esc to easily attach the driver. It is much easier to see the heli at night than during the day. Sorry for the blurry pics.

Brian
endeavor_635650 is offline Find More Posts by endeavor_635650
Old May 13, 2007, 11:24 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Another one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413850
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old May 14, 2007, 01:21 AM
Alexandria, VA
Joined Mar 2006
983 Posts
Brian,

Do you have the name or remember where you got the 3S driver? I like the idea that you can hook it up to the ESC.

thanhTran,

Man you are resourceful as well! I love the home made stuff!

I'm working on rigging one of these myself now.
Thanks for the info guys!
Paul
Old May 14, 2007, 08:56 AM
Destructive testing expert!
Bemidji, MN
Joined Dec 2003
903 Posts
Actually the blade idea and head mounted button cells comes from thanhTran. A post he did quite a while ago got me hooked.

Concerning the light wire driver on 3s, you can hook a high intensity LED in series with the Align driver and it will drop the voltage enough so the driver is happy on 3s. You also get a very bright LED to boot!

I put two super bright white LEDs in parallel and hooked them up in series with the Align light wire driver. Positioned correctly in front of the heli, the two LEDs will really light up a white plastic canopy. You won't need another string of light wire and it weighs a lot less as well.

Bill
Bill Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Bill Sanford
Old May 15, 2007, 01:50 AM
Crash Hard!!!
Moultrie, Ga
Joined Jul 2004
315 Posts
As I said, the driver had no name or label. I bought it from a guy at SEFF. He was selling them and custom lengths of the glow wire. On top of that, I no longer have his business card. But I do like Bill's idea!

Brian
endeavor_635650 is offline Find More Posts by endeavor_635650