HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:00 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Murdo,
Congratulations on taking the crown! Well done and nice flying.

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:27 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpPilot View Post
So if I am going to spackle, should I just make sure to get the whole thing covered in locktite 200? As in, no where for the lam to directly touch the spackle?

Or will the spackle still be a problem for the lam?
I hate spackle .

I would use the good. I'm am using good mixed. with micro ballons . It fills and is same color as foam.
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:18 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
What the hec are micro ballons...
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Nov 2008
476 Posts
http://www.cstsales.com/cst_epoxy_fillers.html
Svede is offline Find More Posts by Svede
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fixed wing Phobotic CP Test
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:53 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
What's your in flight amp draw like with the 6x5? On the 6x4 I am seeing 90 or so amps in flight.
Amps peaked @ 109 but this was spike. Average was around 90 to 95amps.
Temp 159
voltage average was 22.5 with my 3year old XPS 65C 4000mAh
2265watts peak
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:00 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
YOWWEE!!!

Took the 36mm motored Demon up for a spin today in a field where I could really open it up.

189mph level, averaged passes!!
Nice run! That's hualing A$$!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:12 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Hooper View Post
Amps peaked @ 109 but this was spike. Average was around 90 to 95amps.
Temp 159
voltage average was 22.5 with my 3year old XPS 65C 4000mAh
2265watts peak
3.75V/cell at 90-100A isn't unheard of, but it's not expected, either.
If you go to the Castle data graph for that setup on that prop, and place the cursor at a place where you're at full throttle, does the "cursor" line read 22.5V at the same location as the 100ish amp/100% power mark?

Max and Minimum data points don't do a lot for us, as they're usually spikes that don't tell what the setup is doing under a constant load.
Average data points over a whole flight are the same, as they average in times when the model is idle, which raises average voltage and lowers average amp draw.

Are you able to get a hold of a screen shot of the data graph, Hoop?

I promise...
All this geeky data stuff is in the interest of getting the perfect motor!!
Mega has a LOT of options, and you can really get the ideal motor if you put in a little work.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:52 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
3.75V/cell at 90-100A isn't unheard of, but it's not expected, either.
If you go to the Castle data graph for that setup on that prop, and place the cursor at a place where you're at full throttle, does the "cursor" line read 22.5V at the same location as the 100ish amp/100% power mark?

Max and Minimum data points don't do a lot for us, as they're usually spikes that don't tell what the setup is doing under a constant load.
Average data points over a whole flight are the same, as they average in times when the model is idle, which raises average voltage and lowers average amp draw.

Are you able to get a hold of a screen shot of the data graph, Hoop?

I promise...
All this geeky data stuff is in the interest of getting the perfect motor!!
Mega has a LOT of options, and you can really get the ideal motor if you put in a little work.
I cleared the log after I looked at it. I did have a good look at the data.
The averages I gave for amps and voltage didn't include the spikes.
Looking at the graph my fast passes where drawing around 95amps and the voltage was dropping to 22.5. So, what you are saying about the cursor line on the graph is true.

Whatever motor, prop, battery combo we come up with I would rather not be on the edge of total meltdown with my lead thumbs I'll be getting some new batteries 4000 to 5000mAh 45/90C Nano's ? I do want to keep the ICE 100 ESC W/ heatsink. Looking for at least as much power as the rocket motor and 160mph+.

Hoping to have it here before Xmas so I can buzz Santa and the raindeer.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:59 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
I cleared the log after I looked at it. I did have a good look at the data.
The averages I gave for amps and voltage didn't include the spikes.
Looking at the graph my fast passes where drawing around 95amps and the voltage was dropping to 22.5. So, what you are saying about the cursor line on the graph is true.

Whatever motor, prop, battery combo we come up with I would rather not be on the edge of total meltdown with my lead thumbs I'll be getting some new batteries 4000 to 5000mAh 45/90C Nano's ? I do want to keep the ICE 100 ESC W/ heatsink. Looking for at least as much power as the rocket motor and 160mph+.

Hoping to have it here before Xmas so I can buzz Santa and the raindeer.
I smacked in my demon and trashed my batteries when I did. I ended up going from 2 3s 5000 nanotechs to 2 3s 4000 gens ace packs. The gens ace match the nanotechs almost perfectly as far as the voltage they hold and the current I am pulling. The kicker is the gens ace packs are way cooler when I land.

edit: I sent my flying buddy a pic of my Zephyr 2 and his reply was nice Zagi. Is it ok to punch him in the throat next time I see him ?
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Last edited by Hance; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
I smacked in my demon and trashed my batteries when I did. I ended up going from 2 3s 5000 nanotechs to 2 3s 4000 gens ace packs. The gens ace match the nanotechs almost perfectly as far as the voltage they hold and the current I am pulling. The kicker is the gens ace packs are way cooler when I land.

edit: I sent my flying buddy a pic of my Zephyr 2 and his reply was nice Zagi. Is it ok to punch him in the throat next time I see him ?
Permission granted!

One of my first few hand launches with the Demon went bad and it turned my new XPS lipo's into a taco shape. I figured they where done for but I flattened them out recharged them and have been using them 3 years now.

What motor are you running in the Demon? How fast is it? Anxious to get mine back in the air.

D.B.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,444 Posts
Quote:

Nope, he didn't try to steal your car or you Z.
So, I say that a junk punch is more than acceptable.

Quote:
Permission granted!

One of my first few hand launches with the Demon went bad and it turned my new XPS lipo's into a taco shape. I figured they where done for but I flattened them out recharged them and have been using them 3 years now.

What motor are you running in the Demon? How fast is it? Anxious to get mine back in the air.

D.B.
If you un-taco your batts vry quickly, you can save them!
Now if the one of the cells pop open or split that is another thing.
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Permission granted!

D.B.
I have the 1900kv rocket motor on mine so basically the same setup as you. We have clocked it on a certified police radar at 165 several times. I was going for top speed so I was using a long shallow dive to try and be at 10 feet or so of elevation when the plane passed me. I don't recall what the wind was doing at the time.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
How do you guys normally attach your 28mm cans with the big ole hpi heatsink?
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
Hi Murdo,

Fantastic video. I had to watch it twice in a row.
....just wow.

22/50 next ???? Oh my god.

Among the various options, consider this one too:
Drop 1 cell count on the MEGA you have in there now, and try over pitch prop.
......yeah yeah, I know that you supposedly will get more torque roll, but worth trying to see what happens.

-----

You already have a 22/60. I assume the reason you are not going with that is due to C.G.

I better go watch your video again.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
I have the 1900kv rocket motor on mine so basically the same setup as you. We have clocked it on a certified police radar at 165 several times. I was going for top speed so I was using a long shallow dive to try and be at 10 feet or so of elevation when the plane passed me. I don't recall what the wind was doing at the time.
Guess I'll see if I can get another Rocket motor from CK. Worked great for over a year and the price is right. Not sure I want to gamble with the Mega only to have it go up in smoke. Too many choices for me to come up with the right one. Maybe someone has a Rocket motor laying around they would sell?
Just want to get the Demon back in the air.
D.B.