to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:01 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpPilot View Post
So if I am going to spackle, should I just make sure to get the whole thing covered in locktite 200? As in, no where for the lam to directly touch the spackle?

Or will the spackle still be a problem for the lam?
I just have problem with spackle because it doesn't stick well to anything. Won't stick to foam, or lam film well.

Anywhere that spackle could be used, I'd use thinned Goop and spackle.

Whatever you do, there should be a coat of Loctite 200 directly before lam film. Helps the lam stick better.

For a glassed wing, I wouldn't spackle between 90/weave and laminating.
After glass, just spray paint, a fairly heavy coat of 200, then lam. It comes out smooth and sticks well.

If you really have to have ultra smooth, I'd do a thin coat of Goop & spackle after glassing. Then paint, coat with 200, and lam.

This is all just my opinion and experience. Others may be fine with just spackle. I don't like it though by itself.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:05 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,863 Posts
I think the most important thing when using Spackle (alone... not mixed with Goop) is to sand most is off... leave just what you need to smooth things out and fill any holes in the foam (or weave). Spackle has NO strength of its own and bonds poorly with everything. Then spray on your Locktite 200, 3m90, or thinned Goop so you have good adhesion with what ever covering you use.

For many flying wing pilots (slope and electric) the use of Spackle is not needed. Laminating film sticks very well to raw EPP foam (and to Locktite200 on the painted parts). However if you desire a nicer looking wing Spackle might be warranted.

Another note on the Rubber Raider... When CK started building these, many years ago, they were indestructible slope wings... but heavy. He use tinted thinned Goop and Henry's Roofing tape (pre Rite-Weave) to make some slope combat monsters. He did not take prisoners! I have a fond memory of him taking out a buddy at Mt Ord... pieces rained down on us.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:38 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
Just finished up the paint on the top of my new TL50.

Untitled by Hance1976, on Flickr
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:14 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,205 Posts
very nice.. gives me some ideas for my builds ... tow of them on the board
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:19 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
I actually have two of the going right now myself. This is the top of my Z2

Z2 by Hance1976, on Flickr

and the bottom of the Z2

Z2-2 by Hance1976, on Flickr
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:37 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
v nice stuff hance
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:39 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I struggle with painting.. Always frig up when i tape lines over paint to get what u have there. Is it my tape, do i need to leave it dry longer? Its the 2 x coverage stuff i read about back somewhere on this or the z2 forum
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:12 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
blue or green masking tape is the good stuff. obviously the longer you leave the paint to dry before taping over the better
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:29 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Out with the Demon today. Clocked a 156 mph run with RCspeedo on my Ipad. At around 2:40 the motor bites the dust. Shaft snapped inside the housing. This was CK's Rocket motor on 6S 4000 mAh 65C XPS 6x5 carbon prop. Guess I'll go with a Mega would like to be running 160+ staying with my ICE 100. Any recommendations witch Mega to get?
D.B.

Demon 156MPH run (3 min 15 sec)
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:55 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
"One more!"

... famous last words before a mishap!

Glad you got it down safe, DB.

I'm still trying to figure out how on earth a shaft could snap inside an inrunner. l'm stumped!
So you can just freewheel the prop, and looking at the other end of the motor, the shaft inside the bearing isn't turning at all? Never heard of it.

You get the prize for most creative way to break a motor this week!

Any idea what kind of voltage your batteries are holding during a normal flight for you? That can help nail the best KV for a new motor.

From the video, it looks like your throttle stick stays pegged for most of the flight.
Do you want a motor that can keep up with that same flying style?
Note that you can get higher top speeds if you run higher power, but glide around a little during the flight to give the motor a break. Nothing wrong if you don't want to take cool-off time, but we need to account for the flying style in motor selection.

I think the 6x5 is a good prop to stay on. It's efficient, high speed and can handle high revs.
Want to stick with that prop, or you want room to play around with the APC Pylon 6.5" diameter props?
I think the highest speed for the 28mm motors we can run would be had on the 6x5 or maybe 6x6 prop, if you can find one.

There are a few Mega's available in the 2000-2100kv range that would be nice for ya.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
Sucks you killed the motor. I killed one of them myself when a prop exploded at full throttle and bent the shaft.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:09 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
"One more!"

... famous last words before a mishap!

Glad you got it down safe, DB.

I'm still trying to figure out how on earth a shaft could snap inside an inrunner. l'm stumped!
So you can just freewheel the prop, and looking at the other end of the motor, the shaft inside the bearing isn't turning at all? Never heard of it.

You get the prize for most creative way to break a motor this week!

Any idea what kind of voltage your batteries are holding during a normal flight for you? That can help nail the best KV for a new motor.

From the video, it looks like your throttle stick stays pegged for most of the flight.
Do you want a motor that can keep up with that same flying style?
Note that you can get higher top speeds if you run higher power, but glide around a little during the flight to give the motor a break. Nothing wrong if you don't want to take cool-off time, but we need to account for the flying style in motor selection.

I think the 6x5 is a good prop to stay on. It's efficient, high speed and can handle high revs.
Want to stick with that prop, or you want room to play around with the APC Pylon 6.5" diameter props?
I think the highest speed for the 28mm motors we can run would be had on the 6x5 or maybe 6x6 prop, if you can find one.

There are a few Mega's available in the 2000-2100kv range that would be nice for ya.
Yep the prop is just free wheeling. Nothing inside is turning.
I have a hard time with throttle management I could try it... Would like something that would last . Not set on prop size really but do want 160mph+. My XPS batteries are getting a bit old so I'll be replacing them.

Hance, i got tired of exploding those 6x4 sport props so I've swiched to the 6x5 carbon.
D.B.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:14 AM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
What's your in flight amp draw like with the 6x5? On the 6x4 I am seeing 90 or so amps in flight.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:36 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
YOWWEE!!!

Took the 36mm motored Demon up for a spin today in a field where I could really open it up.

189mph level, averaged passes!!

The thing was burnin some watts for sure. Don't know just how much power, but who cares?! Oh the noise!
That 7x6W prop has a nice "pop" to it at 35K RPM (that's around 1.17 mach at the tips when forward motion is added in )
Based on this prop on other setups, it should have been running around 3600 Watts.

I put the Ritewing 160A 9S ESC in, as it's a great fit in the Demons.
The power system should have been running around 151 amps, so that's close to the ESC's rated limit.
It held up!
The brake was strong enough to stop the big prop, too.

I'm still amazed at how well the Demons fly, even at this power level.
I need more power!!!

9S 4400mah and a 22/50 motor at 340g will be all the power and speed I'd ever want.
Seriously, the Demon could take it, and still fly well with the load!

Ritewing Demon at 189mph (3 min 13 sec)
Last edited by murdnunoc; Dec 09, 2012 at 02:51 AM.