HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
This is going to be a very slow build and I am not afraid of doing the slanted battery type build where they are parallel to the leading edge.

My current issue is that I don't have access to the cores right now...

Should the 2mm Coro work for the slant bay method with the 28mm 5.0 amp hour packs?
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:47 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
bro i used the slant method an 2mm coro top and bottom and it is pretty tight with 18mm packs.

i'l look up peter's packs but i would be v. surprised if he managed more than 25mm even with 1mm lids on the top and bottom.

the demon is more than 25mm at its thickest but you need the packs towards the front so they need to be kinda thin to be able to be placed in a reasonable position for CG.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:51 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
peter's paks are 29mm thick!!!!! holy moly. he did well to get those in there lol i have no idea where i would be a ble to pick up 11mm on my build haha

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11772

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,872 Posts
Peter M,

If possible and when you get some time, please measure the actual thickness of your packs.

Example: Thunder Power advertised size and weight specs have been different than actual......many times.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:43 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Sure Gryphon!

With my last "GT40" Demon, it will fit 3 cell 5000's (28mm thick) easily or 4 cell 4000's (29.4mm thick) with only a slightly raised ridge across the cover.

To achieve that level of accomodation I used a 4 or 5mm coro bottom and a pvc sheet top hatch (cut from a document holder from an office supplier) that I use packing tape to secure. Having the batteries angled and well forward has also nearly eliminated the need for lead too.

On my next Demon 40 I'll probably set up with a 16/30/2, 6 cell 5000's, 6x4 and use the same battery layout but with a thin coro floor that will probably allow me to use a thin coro top as well. However that is still some way off as I have a special Demon 50 under construction at the moment.

I don't often stop by this thread nowadays since I've fallen in with a bad crowd but still love my Ritewings!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,872 Posts
Thank you Peter.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:42 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
What crowd is that Peter lol
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Hoy Fellas,
Haven't flown a thing in a few months, but the itch has returned along with cooler weather.

Wanted to share my newest Demon 40 that's been on the shelf, patiently waiting for a maiden while I selfishly pursue other, less noble endeavors.

Power system is:

6S 4400mah 65C
Ice 100
Mega 22/30/1.5SE 1707kv

The 6S setup will run best on 7" props so we'll see what this thing can do with more thrust than it can hope for.
Maiden will be on a 7x5 prop, and I hope to work up to 7x8 or 7x9 for 250mph pitch speed

If I can find a good thin 4S pack, I can run 7S to really bring out the beast in the motor on a 7x7.

The battery bay is also a "stubby arrow" shape like my Demon 50" to accomodate two packs up front and a third behind. So 9S 4400 is another possibility with a 1450kv or so motor if I want to turn some berzerk RPM on 6.5" Pylon props.

Fingers crossed for a successful maiden this weekend once I get my thumbs working again...
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:46 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Hoy Fellas,
Haven't flown a thing in a few months, but the itch has returned along with cooler weather.

Wanted to share my newest Demon 40 that's been on the shelf, patiently waiting for a maiden while I selfishly pursue other, less noble endeavors.

Power system is:

6S 4400mah 65C
Ice 100
Mega 22/30/1.5SE 1707kv

The 6S setup will run best on 7" props so we'll see what this thing can do with more thrust than it can hope for.
Maiden will be on a 7x5 prop, and I hope to work up to 7x8 or 7x9 for 250mph pitch speed

If I can find a good thin 4S pack, I can run 7S to really bring out the beast in the motor on a 7x7.

The battery bay is also a "stubby arrow" shape like my Demon 50" to accomodate two packs up front and a third behind. So 9S 4400 is another possibility with a 1450kv or so motor if I want to turn some berzerk RPM on 6.5" Pylon props.

Fingers crossed for a successful maiden this weekend once I get my thumbs working again...
Nuts, im still getting comfortable on my assassin while i finish my zeph 2. One day maybe ill build something like that!

Even tho im confident on helis, planes are another beast all together
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
What crowd is that Peter lol
Oh Elliot, they are very bad crowd and wouldn't like to name names. I think I can save myself before its too late and get back into foamies where I belong.

Just please be very careful for you own sake!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:37 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
....Wanted to share my newest Demon 40..
Nice one mate!

I have been missing your posts.

While your been away I've been working on my Demon 50 that is slowly coming together: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691229

Keen to hear your maiden report soon!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:34 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Nice one mate!

I have been missing your posts.

While your been away I've been working on my Demon 50 that is slowly coming together: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691229

Keen to hear your maiden report soon!
Thanks, Peter,
I snooped around in your 50 thread when it was just getting started, but the fiberglass center section is new to me. Insane!! That's some serious moldie-tech going into your wing. Love it, and can't wait to hear what that monster Scorpion 4525 will push the 50 to do.
I have a mind to put my 22/60/1.5SE in the D50. It's about the same weight as your motor, but I have no ballpark on similar props to what you're running to see if it can stack up. We may just have to have a friendly little race, my friend!
I hope you shatter 200mph with ease.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:14 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
murd you are insane. and you must have better eyes than me!
i feel like my 4s 6x4 swinging demon needs to be wrestled around the sky i cant imagine it on a 7x5 with another thousand watts!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:30 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
The Demon wants to GROOVE, man...
You ASK it to swoop into a turn, and it does. Don't force it Duuude...
Be one with the Demon, and she will be one with you.

Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
....We may just have to have a friendly little race, my friend!
Why not my friend!

I still haven't finished with fast Strykers yet either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
murd you are insane. and you must have better eyes than me!
i feel like my 4s 6x4 swinging demon needs to be wrestled around the sky i cant imagine it on a 7x5 with another thousand watts!
Ambrose,
Are you sure you haven't got too much throw on your elevons? Try some lower rates and it might just go from bucking bronco to purring pussy cat!

(Assuming your cg is right too.)
Last edited by Peter M; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:07 PM.