Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Wait till you drag a wingtip.
shush don't jinx me I can break plenty of stuff with out doing that.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:10 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,043 Posts
Big power on a little wing

I've got a plane flying now that is absolutely more fun than I know what to do with!!

It's a 30" IYF that I built up just like my 7-8S Demon 40.
Full glass and lam with A-frame surface sparring.

Setup is:

HET 2W 4900kv
ICE Lite 50A ESC
3S 1800 40C
4x3 prop
Hitec HS-65MG servos

No matter what I do, I can't get it to heat this motor up. Even pulling 70A and it comes down cool.
I may put a Mega 16/7/4 on to save a little weight on the tail and pull a bit of lead out of the nose.

Battery is another story. It's as much Lipo as I could get stuffed into the front and it still huffs and puffs, but gets the job done. Maybe one of the new Turnigy 65C little packs will fit!

The wing scoots around faster than anything that size has business.
But it still slows down nicely for landings and low maneuvering. It'll do gliding loops!
It's incredibly responsive. I have the elevator at 25% rates and it's still too much so I'll be replacing the control horns with longer ones.

What a fun wing for throwing in the car for a quick adrenaline rush!

Darren Ulrich - Mini Rite Wing Windy Day 11-22-2011 (3 min 28 sec)
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,757 Posts
Thats nutso, that would be a good one to mold,lol
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:59 PM
If it flys I can crash it!!!
Townsville, Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
615 Posts
Kudos to the camera dude for keeping up with that thing!! That is sooo kewl!
scatcat1 is offline Find More Posts by scatcat1
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:14 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Wow.. That thing looks like a blast!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:11 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Well I finally built the bungee launcher. Being way above sea level made launching it scary. Not its a piece of cake. Video quality sucks but it gets the point across.
Hance,
If you release from over your head, you will have an extra 2-3 feet of height on launch.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Hance,
If you release from over your head, you will have an extra 2-3 feet of height on launch.
Thanks I will have to give that a try.

I need help from the expert slackers before I do though. I put the demon in the dirt fairly hard the other day and now I have an issue I can't figure out. Trimmed out to fly perfect at half throttle results in a roll to the right at high power. Trimmed out for high power results in a roll to the left at low power. Maybe the directions are reversed but the roll trim changes drastically between low power and high power. Anybody got an idea what I am missing ?
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,043 Posts
Sounds like something got knocked out of whack in the crash.

I had a moderate crash on my Demon a few months ago.
Got after the inside of the nose with some heated up, activated Gorilla Glue where the skin had delaminated from the foam and clamped it in the wing beds to dry straight.
Got out the covering iron and straightened out all the wrinkles in the weave and lam film.

The plane flew OK but felt quirky at speed an in hard turns.

On close inspection I noticed a place where, when flexing the wing, it pinched and flexed more than other areas.
I opened it up and found a fracture in one of the fiberglass "rebar" surface spars.
I installed another 8" long piece of spar right next to the fracture by tunneling with a hot piece of wire and then gluing it with Gorilla Glue for a nice tight fit.

The plane flies like new now.

This may not be the same damage that happened to yours, Hance. You may not even have the surface spars in yours.
But it's the type of crash damage that could cause wacky flight characteristics. You have a twist somewhere. Try twisting the wing in the opposite direction of the roll and see if anything looks broken that you can fix.
Other than that, maybe just run the covering iron over the whole thing to try and re-expand any crushed foam.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:36 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i snapped the rebar in my iyf just by having the rates too high and pulling silly diameter loops it had not been riteweaved though so blame the builder haha the next one will be built good
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:07 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
I've got a plane flying now that is absolutely more fun than I know what to do with!!

It's a 30" IYF that I built up just like my 7-8S Demon 40.
Full glass and lam with A-frame surface sparring.

Setup is:

HET 2W 4900kv
ICE Lite 50A ESC
3S 1800 40C
4x3 prop
Hitec HS-65MG servos

No matter what I do, I can't get it to heat this motor up. Even pulling 70A and it comes down cool.
I may put a Mega 16/7/4 on to save a little weight on the tail and pull a bit of lead out of the nose.

Battery is another story. It's as much Lipo as I could get stuffed into the front and it still huffs and puffs, but gets the job done. Maybe one of the new Turnigy 65C little packs will fit!

The wing scoots around faster than anything that size has business.
But it still slows down nicely for landings and low maneuvering. It'll do gliding loops!
It's incredibly responsive. I have the elevator at 25% rates and it's still too much so I'll be replacing the control horns with longer ones.

What a fun wing for throwing in the car for a quick adrenaline rush!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVJpgEaQM_c
Sweeet.

My IYF 30 with the MD on it was one of my favourites.

If you really want to have a giggle, crank up a dual rate with BIG throws. You want one elevon to go to ~60 degrees up. Go full noise as fast as it goes, flick D/R drop throttle, put the stick in a lower corner and hold on

2x 3S 1800s in an IYF 30 (top of pic), no lead to balance
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
How do you like flying the one in the bottom of the picture with thrust vectoring turning the motor that far?
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,043 Posts
Holy Goobers, Jacko!
You're running twice the battery I am!!

Is the one in the picture the one you said was one of your favorites? (meaning it's flown?)
Which Microdan is that?

I know I've heard you talk about an IYF 30 that you had running fast, but didn't know it was that extreme.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:32 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
so who is getting a z2 ? I was going to build mine lite as possible but the more i think about it the more i wanna go the other way and put 6s through it lol

Anyone with an fpv zeph with a folding prop has put it in a 120mph ish dive and they dont seem to mind that, so am i right in assuming it will hold together with 1200w going throgh an 8inch prop for a similar airspeed?

The power system will be 4 x 3300 25-50c nano tech 3s, making 6600 6s and a 56mm 1400kv rocket on a 7 x 5 and later an 8 x 5 goimg through the ice 100
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:04 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
633 Posts
So, all who are running 2s rx packs, do you need to use a regulator for the servos?
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:26 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,111 Posts
Depends on the specs of the RX and servos....
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx