SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:20 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,186 Posts
I had (2) APC 6x4 sports in a row blow apart. The Graupner's/Aeronaut's seem quite a bit more rugged.

Get them at http://www.hobby-lobby.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Tell me more about the prop you are using. I am just about to finish up my rocket powered 6s demon. Carbonfiber sounds better than a plain ole APC which has to be getting close to the limits of rpm it can take.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:29 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
I had (2) APC 6x4 sports in a row blow apart. The Graupner's/Aeronaut's seem quite a bit more rugged.

Get them at http://www.hobby-lobby.com

Cool thanks man I will grab a couple of them to test out. Little more money than APC but I don't want to explode a prop in flight very bad.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:39 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
In a dive, trying to get her up as fast as I could! Next time out I will get both passes on the gun in the level and see what we can get.

I ordered a 4S so I can try 7S next time.

I'm sure I will kill the motor, but maybe not.......

Ideas on the best and fastest 7S motor? , shoot me a PM.
If you're going for 7S and either 6x4 Sport or 6x5 Aeronaut, the Mega 16/40/1.5SCE would be a champ.

If you want to toy with slightly larger props than the supersonic 6 inchers, you can run the 16/40/2CE with APC Pylon 6.5" props.
I have one being rewound to this spec as we speak for that purpose
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:10 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Quote:
I smoked my old mega motor.

Which combination were you running?
If it was an extra high power setup, you need more throttle control than lower power motors.

MEGA motors can be rebuilt.
Without additional cost, you can ask for a different winding...meaning different number of turns.

***Warning to folks who may be running APC 6X4 Sport at very close limits to their motors' max capability (any motor brand): If you are going to swap that prop out in favor of Aeronaut 6X4 Carbon pictured above, you may draw more AMPs and put your motor over the edge....test carefully to avoid smoking your various motors.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:23 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
I totaly agree with Gryphon, if these props are used then use them with care.
I have also used these props and have found they come wayy out of ballance so be careful.
They are out of ballance and are heavier with more pitch,keep this in mind.

I have been exploding the 6/4 sports now for a while, we are working with apc to make a beefed up versions while retaining the lightness of this prop.

I dont know if it will be cf ,but it might just be a larger beefier hub on it.
They are working on it now.

ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Which combination were you running?
If it was an extra high power setup, you need more throttle control than lower power motors.

MEGA motors can be rebuilt.
Without additional cost, you can ask for a different winding...meaning different number of turns.

***Warning to folks who may be running APC 6X4 Sport at very close limits to their motors' max capability (any motor brand): If you are going to swap that prop out in favor of Aeronaut 6X4 Carbon pictured above, you may draw more AMPs and put your motor over the edge....test carefully to avoid smoking your various motors.

Gryphon
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:15 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,186 Posts
All true, they load the motor harder, and go faster if everything can take it. The 6x4 APC Sport seems it may not be the prop for going super fast.

APC 6x4 sport's do seem to last better if you use a long collet, and use an extra prop washer with the bevel against the prop to give tons of clearance to the blades. A small washer as a spacer seems not enough to allow enough clearance, and if they touch at all with enough HP, bang, blades give out.

I think the 50" Demon project will be able to test a lot of speed theories, meanwhile I am excited to be one of a few I suspect to go over 170mph with one of these......

Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
I totally agree with Gryphon, if these props are used then use them with care.
I have also used these props and have found they come way out of balance so be careful.
They are out of balance and are heavier with more pitch,keep this in mind.

I have been exploding the 6/4 sports now for a while, we are working with apc to make a beefed up versions while retaining the lightness of this prop.

I dont know if it will be cf ,but it might just be a larger beefier hub on it.
They are working on it now.

ck
Last edited by markusvt; Jun 20, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:03 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I'm maybe a little more scared of my props blowing apart than many due to my plane being taken out when the prop hub blew apart and a blade knocked out one elevon linkage.

The hub on the 6x4 prop is the part where the prop will most likely fail due to overstressing at high RPM.

The main factor I've seen in keeping 6x4 props together at over 40K RPM is to use a prop adapter with a 6mm prop shaft. Eflite adapters that have a 1/4" hole require reaming material out of the already slim prop hub.

A 6x4 prop has its hole drilled to just over 6mm, and you use the locating ring that comes with the prop to center and balance the prop.

The 5mm Combat shafts that many of us have on our Mega motors are often used with prop adapters that have either 1/4" or 8mm prop shafts. It's worth the time to find an adapter with 5mm motor shaft hole, and 6mm threaded prop shaft.

Adapter for 5mm motor shaft (Mega Combat)
Adapter for 4mm Rokett or Mega motors

I've had 6x4 props hold together at 43,000 RPM with these adapters. When running 1/4" or 8mm adapters, they've blown apart at 40K.

It's also crucial, like Markus mentioned, to make sure the blade roots are not touching the collet of the prop adapter. A 6mm or 1/4" washer in front of the prop does well spacing this off. The best washer to use is one with a knurled surface, like the Nord-Lock washers. Run one on the back side of a 6mm long shaft prop adapter, too, to keep the retaining nut from spinning off.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,186 Posts
I LOVE the Nord-Lock washers! Very excellent product.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
I was looking at my Aeronaut props,

I have 6X5 , 6.5X4 , and 7X7

Do they even make a 6X4?
I'm not that familiar with their full range of props.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,186 Posts
Graupner makes a nice one, 6x3, 6x4 and 6x5, you will not break them. HL used to carry them all, now they are super hard to find.

http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...e=G&catlevel=2

Or:

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...x11-cm%29.html

Last edited by markusvt; Jun 22, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:06 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I've gotten very good results from the 6x6 Graupner Cam Speed prop in drag race type setups. Very efficient watts per mph.

Note the difference in three lines of Graypner props.

Gas. Gray ones.
Speed. Black with white letters
Cam speed. Black with purple letters and swept tips.

They do require balancing just like the Aeronaut, but that's OK by me to get a more efficient prop.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Chris, here are some images of my 36" Lightning. The lam worked great. I'm a fan of the stuff you gave me. Here are the specs

Microdan 2510 2700 kv
3s 3300mAh
JR MN48 servos
34.7 oz. AUW

please take a look at the angle of the motor so i can tweak it if necessary.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Last edited by Sweetrex; Jun 24, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:03 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
nice
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetrex View Post
Chris, here are some images of my 36" Lightning. The lam worked great. I'm a fan of the stuff you gave me. Here are the specs

Microdan 2510 2700 kv
3s 3300mAh
JR MN48 servos
34.7 oz. AUW

please take a look at the angle of the motor so i can tweak it if necessary.
I'm a bit disappointed. It doesn't feel like there's a lot of thrust. Maybe my batteries are tired? The prop is turning the right way, it's facing forward. Not pulling very many amps though. With a 6x4 sport prop I'm only pulling 12 amps. I think it should be higher. I'll have to call Dan.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Nice build bro, yes somthing is way off on the power system.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique