SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 20, 2011, 08:11 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Well if you had 70% throws then that was way to much,the demon usually uses about 30 % throws without expo.

I couldnt even fly a demon with 70 % throws,if you guys are working out the expo then only do 5% reduction of expo every flight,then you also will reduce the throws at the same time by about 5 %.
Do this till she is at zero expo

Sorry about the crash,that sux.
How much expo did you have in it originally?And what were your rates originally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenmm View Post
Well I turned down my expo today to 10% and my rates to 70%. Took it out and over stressed the airframe, ripped my brand new rocket right off the wing never found any of it.
100 amp C.C., digital servos, rocket motor, 2 4000 lipo's, rec., and of course the demon40
that I was for some reason charged $105.00 for. My advise for what ever it's worth if your used to expo stick with it! wish i had.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 08:36 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Or, maybe, what were your throws measured in terms of deflection?

Stating percentage rates is a little subjective since different setups will use different servo arms and control horns, and different pushrod placement on each.

100% on one setup may yield 1/4" of elevator travel on my setup (it does), while 30% may yield 1/4" on another's setup.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old May 20, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
5 Posts
Had about 2 dozen flights on it. servo horn set up on first hole (shortest throw) the other end was on last hole (farthest from ail.) On 70% the ail. moved such a small amount i concerned that i wouldnt have enough control on take off. That wasn't the case. I was used to 30 to 40% expo. Going to 10 was just to sensitive for me! I could see the wing was still in good shape, i'm sure the motor seperated because of way it droped to the ground (tumbling and very slowly) ps rocket on 6s 4000
mkenmm is offline Find More Posts by mkenmm
Old May 20, 2011, 09:36 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Or, maybe, what were your throws measured in terms of deflection?

Stating percentage rates is a little subjective since different setups will use different servo arms and control horns, and different pushrod placement on each.

100% on one setup may yield 1/4" of elevator travel on my setup (it does), while 30% may yield 1/4" on another's setup.

Thumbs up Murdnunoc,

Good post.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old May 20, 2011, 10:01 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
^ +1 70% of what?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old May 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
5 Posts
With 100% throws and 40% expo. everything was fine. Should have never changed it.
mkenmm is offline Find More Posts by mkenmm
Old May 20, 2011, 11:00 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Smaller steps would have ben better,changing it wasnt the issue, changing extremly was the problem.

If you would have dialed out 5 to 10 % expo every flight, and did the same on the rates then it wouldnt have ben such a huge change.

The Demon usually only needs 1/4 of up and 1/4 of down,ail can be up to 1/2 to 5/8ths
Usually when I see no expo with thumb flyers it is usually even less throws due to the nature of the huge thumb movments.
Expo is a bad habit to get into, doing this to cure the over steer and touchyness is not good.

Taking the time to set the rates rite and tune the plane so it flys best is much better..

Alot of guys fly it and say its too touchy and dial in expo,thats wrong in my book.
Murd from my experiance I see most people who fly and set up the Demons do it fairly close to what most others do.

So your horn setup and 70% is prety much where I was thinking you had it.
About 30% or more higher than it should be.

It would be like me flying my demon at 26% elevator then fliping a switch on high rate taking it to 70%.

Then wishing I never had fliped it to 70%.

You had 70 % xpo and you took it out completely,then you only took out 30 % of the rates,thats a little off % wise.

The Demons need hardly any throws.

I would suggest being a little more active in here and hit us up with some questions before you make huge adjutments .

Thats why were all in here.

Sorry this happend bro.

When I work with people of weening them selfs of xpo I say take out 5% every flight ,the adjust your rates between flight to feel rite.
Do this untill it is gone.
Last edited by klique; May 21, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 21, 2011, 12:11 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Murd from my experiance I see most people who fly and set up the Demons do it fairly close to what most others do.
LOL I must have missed that memo!
I've just been "wingin'" it... haha punny

I set up my linkages for whatever it takes to get the servo to travel its entire range. It usually means a lot of servo movement for a little elevon movement. This gives the best control resolution and also gives the servo more even wear on the output gear, reducing slop and possibility of stripping.

So my rates are 125% on aileron and 60% on elevator. This gets 1/4" of elevator throw and 1/2" of aileron throw.

Sound about rite?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old May 21, 2011, 12:16 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Yep sounds rite.
Quote:
LOL I must have missed that memo!
I've just been "wingin'" it... haha punny

I set up my linkages for whatever it takes to get the servo to travel its entire range. It usually means a lot of servo movement for a little elevon movement. This gives the best control resolution and also gives the servo more even wear on the output gear, reducing slop and possibility of stripping.

So my rates are 125% on aileron and 60% on elevator. This gets 1/4" of elevator throw and 1/2" of aileron throw.

Sound about rite?
Old May 21, 2011, 12:50 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
10 minutes until the world implodes.

Been an honour serving with ya
Old May 21, 2011, 01:43 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Sound about rite?
+1
my servos are vry cheap so unless i dampen them with lots of servo movement/little control surface movement they are a bit jittery.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old May 21, 2011, 01:45 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,188 Posts
*sniff*.... *sniff*.... Jacko's been gone for 45 minutes now.....
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old May 21, 2011, 02:01 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
The horsemen didnt even come knocking at my door!

Maybe its 6pm 21st may US time?

I guess you guys are due for the rapture tommorrow...
Old May 21, 2011, 02:05 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,188 Posts
That's the problem with working nights and weekends. At 6 p.m. my time later today, I'll be asleep and I'll miss the whole thing!

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old May 21, 2011, 04:45 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:

Sound about rite?
+1

MAX servo movement for the throw is the key !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway