HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:45 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Great news! After about 3 dozen flights landing becomes a non issue. You just learn it characteristics and it becomes second nature.

As far as the controls being touchy, could be the CG is a hair to far back. But it may just need reduced throws. Just keep tweaking it til your happy. I'd start by reducing throws and see how that helps. If its still touchy add 1/4oz of lead to the nose until its tame enough to your liking.

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman65
Finally had a couple of days of good flying weather here in the heartland allowing me to maiden my new Demon. First, I went back over everything to make sure nothing was overlooked, high rate throws at 60% and low rates at 40%, neutral is flat from top of wing. Auw came in at 46.4oz , a little heavier than I had hoped but balanced at 7.5" without lead, though 3.5 oz of that weight is from a 6v hump pack used to power rx, since the A123's drop to nothing suddenly, a good rx power supply is important.
First flight was my tl50 to calm my nerves. The more I fly the 50 the better I like it, very smoothe and stable. After 8 mins of mixed flying, scrub off some speed and let glide back in. Finally getting the hang of putting it down where I want and not having to walk 50 yards to retrieve it Now, the moment of truth. There I stand, in the middle of a soccer complex, all by myself holding this bright new airplne in one hand, radio in the other, analyzing everything, is wind ok, no more excuses just throw the plane already. Throttle up, three steps and overhand throw...slight dip and up it goes, fast, very fast. Very steep climb from neutral control settings. I get it leveled out at about 50' and trim. needs a lot ot down elev to keep the nose down. Needs some thrust adjust. This thing is fast, cannot take my eye off it for a second as it covers a lot of ground and it sounds sweet. Controls are very touchy at speed, could be me or just need some tweaking but it goes where it is directed and vertical till I can barely see it. Now time to bring it down. I think Ritewings are harder to land than to launch, they go up easily but don't want to slow down enough to come in. Abut 4 laps around field scrubbing off speed, I leveled out and watched it descend and was a bit surprised as it was a very smoothe and stable approach and a nice sliding touchdown Life is good and the Demon is Rite.
A little fine tuning and this will be an awsome flying wing. Thanks Chris and all you RWA that have helped me cross over to the dark side.

Tony
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:37 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
well done, you will have to go through everything regarding maiden flight when i am ready for my maiden flight. will be a while yet as i have other projects on the go and allso i need to purchase servos and flight pack yet and i have spent a lot of money a lately regarding this great hobby so i will have to wait a while are i will have my wife chasing me.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:02 PM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Congrats on the succesful maiden wingman! Thanks for sharing.
It always brings a grin to the face of other ritewingers to hear the story of another successful ritewing maiden!
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:24 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
FS48 Maiden today

So i tossed it and it went to the ground, picked it up and tossed it again with more throttle and it went to the ground about 100 feet out

Dialed a touch of up in and ran the trottle up to 3/4 this tim turned a bit more into the wing and tada... Flew fantastic no slow speed wobble and no waggin

It is a bit sluggish but that could be that i still need to dial it in.. but once it was on step it was in the 100 mph range not as fast as my TL50 flat out but just as fast in a dive.. nice big loops and axial rolls

Hot Damm we have a winner.. Now i can pack for AEF...

here are a few pics I think the long nose may be why i do not get the wagg...
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:30 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Congrats on your successful maiden Paul and good luck at AEF. Hope you can get some good video there.
WOW, just saw pics. sweet looking bird.

Tony
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Last edited by Wingman65; Jan 13, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:55 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Could be the turned down tips that help with the wag as well.

Whats the power setup? AUW?

Adam
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
congrats Paul! what was your auw?

likely maiden mine in the next day or so.

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:26 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Paul - awesome covering. I dig the covering scheme! I have found that my FS-33 is a bit tempermental on launch only. If I launch with anything less than 3/4 throttle it can be a bear and usually results in a hard landing / tumble. If trims are out of whack same results. When it is trimmed it launches rather easily when at least 3/4 throttle for me.

Tim - keep me posted. I'll bring my camera and other gear. I can't wait!
Last edited by reefboy; Jan 13, 2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
48 FS

AUW 47.5 OZ
2 times 2s 3700 mha 20c in 4s config
HET4
CC60

BEC
300 mha 2s reciver batery

2 standard servos

I can run the 4350's by moving the batteries back in the bay

CG wound up at 1/2 inch from LE fuse junction
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
You running a 6x4?

Notice any torque roll?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:05 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Now i just wish i had some ritwing decals.. I was going to get some made but never found the time..
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:07 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
You running a 6x4?

Notice any torque roll?
5.5 x 4.5 and thinking of going to a 5x5

Did not really notice the tourke roll but then again i fly my plane by the stick and find i start correcting for things as i fly.. Kind of a bad habbit because my wings tend to never get trimed out like you or terry
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:28 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
48 FS

CG wound up at 1/2 inch from LE fuse junction
Paul, is that 1/2" ahead of the LE? After todays flight are you thinking of moving it forward or back. Just asking as a reference for Tim's maiden.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:40 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
I assume its aft, I fly mine at 3/8" behind the LE/fuse junction.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hemet, California
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Mar 2005
1,440 Posts
Hey guys give me a list of servos I can ran on this 4S Demon...what would be the min oz in torque needed?...still collecting parts.

Whats the difference on a reg D and a D lite? CK never got back to me on this. Has anyone built the lite verson yet? Any urls to a buildup page on the 40" Demon?

Thanks!

Ken
kctrading is offline Find More Posts by kctrading