Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
lol
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:28 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,543 Posts
demon 40 wings are joined together now i need to start and cut away electronics bay etc. what are the dimension for the trailing edge cut out after the motor mount for the prop . how far back from the trailing edge do you go before the motor mount is install, does it really matter
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Last edited by glenbees; Jan 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:39 AM
Hemet, California
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Mar 2005
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman65
OH MY GOD!!! Just ran static test with whatt Meter. 17v, 43A, well over 600W Hope this Medusa can handle the power. Setup is
Medusa 28-40-2200
5.5x4.5 Apc prop
60 Lightflight ESC
Medusa 6v, 3a BEC
JR 6ul rx
5s A123 2300mah bat pack

First test, I had 6x4 sport prop and amps went up over 50 , changed to 5.5x4.5 and results were more reasonable. This sucker is gonna rock. Rite on...
Just remember it will unload in the air and amps will go down. Also the closer you come to matching the prop size in pitch (or go beyond it, over square) the less it will unload (ie 5.25x6.25) One of the best ways to test is with an (Eagle Tree) onboard system... hobbycity has the best prices on them...I'm going to get one soon myself!

Current Hobbycity.com prices (you need to be logged on for best prices)...
MicroPower V3 E-Logger $49.53
Watt's up meter: $37.46

Ken
kctrading is offline Find More Posts by kctrading
Last edited by kctrading; Jan 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 06:22 PM
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Thanks Ken, I live by the Watt meter but the data logger looks interesting.

Tony
Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:39 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees
demon 40 wings are joined together now i need to start and cut away electronics bay etc. what are the dimension for the trailing edge cut out after the motor mount for the prop . how far back from the trailing edge do you go before the motor mount is install, does it really matter
It depends on the motor and batts you have in mind. Was there two main spar choices? Which one did you use? A general rule for me is to butt the rear end of the motor up to the spar.

If its a 6cell setup you want the motor further back.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
A new vid

Hey guys hold on to your seat.
cross wind landings (3 min 48 sec)
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:02 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
WOW, what a vid, very cool! this is the kind of stuff I'd prefer to see RC style; that is, with my feet on the ground!
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,300 Posts
Nice video klique..

The last 747 in that video was landing at Kai Tak in Hong Kong, they have since shut it down due to the horrible X-winds in there..

747 Crosswind Landing Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport (1998) (1 min 23 sec)
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:19 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
SF Bay Fleet week 2007

Baddddd..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:50 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,300 Posts
I'm not sure but I'd say he's more like 25' off the bay..

Well, my wife said a box showed up today... Couple feet long, pretty stinkin' thin... I wonder if it's a TL50?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:51 AM
Hemet, California
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Mar 2005
1,440 Posts
Anyone here going to the AMA Convention at Ont. CA Today? I'll be there at 10am to 4pm or so. I'll be wareing my black knight Dale Earnhardt T-shirt Hope to see some fellow RCG'ers there!

Ken
kctrading is offline Find More Posts by kctrading
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:01 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,543 Posts
atom , using a mega 16/15/3 with 3s 3700 pack with the the one spar towards the back. i suppose with this set up i need to get the motor as far possibly .
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees
atom , using a mega 16/15/3 with 3s 3700 pack with the the one spar towards the back. i suppose with this set up i need to get the motor as far possibly .
Sounds like your going lite, so yes, make sure the rear end of the motor is rite up on the spar. Push the servos as far forward as possible. A single layer of glass behind the cg and 2-3 layers ahead of the cg.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
40" Demon maiden

Finally had a couple of days of good flying weather here in the heartland allowing me to maiden my new Demon. First, I went back over everything to make sure nothing was overlooked, high rate throws at 60% and low rates at 40%, neutral is flat from top of wing. Auw came in at 46.4oz , a little heavier than I had hoped but balanced at 7.5" without lead, though 3.5 oz of that weight is from a 6v hump pack used to power rx, since the A123's drop to nothing suddenly, a good rx power supply is important.
First flight was my tl50 to calm my nerves. The more I fly the 50 the better I like it, very smoothe and stable. After 8 mins of mixed flying, scrub off some speed and let glide back in. Finally getting the hang of putting it down where I want and not having to walk 50 yards to retrieve it Now, the moment of truth. There I stand, in the middle of a soccer complex, all by myself holding this bright new airplne in one hand, radio in the other, analyzing everything, is wind ok, no more excuses just throw the plane already. Throttle up, three steps and overhand throw...slight dip and up it goes, fast, very fast. Very steep climb from neutral control settings. I get it leveled out at about 50' and trim. needs a lot ot down elev to keep the nose down. Needs some thrust adjust. This thing is fast, cannot take my eye off it for a second as it covers a lot of ground and it sounds sweet. Controls are very touchy at speed, could be me or just need some tweaking but it goes where it is directed and vertical till I can barely see it. Now time to bring it down. I think Ritewings are harder to land than to launch, they go up easily but don't want to slow down enough to come in. Abut 4 laps around field scrubbing off speed, I leveled out and watched it descend and was a bit surprised as it was a very smoothe and stable approach and a nice sliding touchdown Life is good and the Demon is Rite.
A little fine tuning and this will be an awsome flying wing. Thanks Chris and all you RWA that have helped me cross over to the dark side.

Tony
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
So i have been working on the FS48 tring to get it ready for AEF.. almost done but had to tink out the shipping with the stock fins, they are tall... so i cut half way through the coro so they will fold over then when i get to AZ i will slide a pice of carbon slide it down the flutes and then tape the cut side so it wont fold over..

I can now get it into a 2 inch high box...
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi