HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:03 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
I usually keep an eye on the Power Systems For Sale Forum if you want nicely priced Castle Creations ESC. If you're looking for a specific Neu motor, your best bet is to just buy it from Neu. Even then, I hear there's a long turnaround time to build your custom motor, as they don't build it until you order.
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:19 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,417 Posts
Yep, the Demon is next on my list of RiteWings. I am going to aim for 130mph in level flight.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ATIS; Apr 27, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latin105fm View Post
Well done Atis on your 1st build. She flies very well.

Has anyone seen Chris's build DVD he sells? Will it help me assemble my 1st ritewing?

Cheers

Dan
Having spent the better part of my life working on it.. (Not really but about 400 hours of editing) Yes. There is a V2 in the works that compliments the first DVD Set..

I belive 90% of the people that have the DVD will say that it really awnsered many of the 1st time ritewing builders questions.. while there have been many new little tweaks to the build proccess covered in the V2 DVD most of the V1 DVD covers what a first time builder will need to do the V2 dvd covers more advanced topics of the ritewing build..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
i've the dvd and i was confused because some of the technics used appear different in the forum (probably newer) - the first page of this very thread explains some

a mix of forum + dvd = approx all you need (and some questions around sometimes).. and sometimes a pm to ck i guess

i also look a lot at the pictures of ppl's wings to see how its done

the videos are cool because you feel a lot more confident on the movements and things to do, its much clearer than a few words. oh and you'd better like rock

ps: for the hacker motor mount ck sells together, in case anyone searchs after me, you have to drill new holes (i wasn't sure)
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:42 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,048 Posts
For a fast and heavy wing, is 40 degrees up and down on the elevons a safe maximum deflection? I'm cutting my bevels right now.
murdnunoc is online now Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:50 PM
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2006
502 Posts
it is probably a lot more than you want for a fast wing.
jpinn is offline Find More Posts by jpinn
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,733 Posts
murdnunoc,

Are you going with APC 6X4 Sport or with higher load props?

How many static Watts are you considering?

***Feel free to keep the info to yourself until the unveiling.....LOL

Later my friend,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:15 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,960 Posts
40 degrees is HUGE, 10mm+/- is heaps.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:27 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
40 degrees is HUGE, 10mm+/- is heaps.
Okay,
I definitely wasn't planning on running that much, but wanted to make sure I wasn't limiting myself in any way by how I cut my bevels.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:42 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
murdnunoc,

Are you going with APC 6X4 Sport or with higher load props?

How many static Watts are you considering?

***Feel free to keep the info to yourself until the unveiling.....LOL

Later my friend,

Gryphon
To tell the truth, I don't even know what motor I'm running for the final blistering setup yet. Maybe Medusa 1400 if it runs OK after the mods I did. Maybe a Turnigy 1370kv inrunner. Maybe a big outrunner? Maybe a Mega??

Phase One will for sure be on the Medusa 28-40-1700 on 6S for an estimated 65A/1400W static on 6x4 Sport. If the motor's happy, I'll try a 6x5 to see if I'm thrust-limited at the 6x4. Somehow I doubt it

I hope to top out around 2500-3000W, and I don't really plan to do it by spinning the 6x4 faster and faster. My gut says 6.5x6 Pylon will be the magic prop.
Last edited by murdnunoc; Apr 27, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,733 Posts
murdnunoc,

If I remember right, you have regular CC ICE 100A ESC good for up to 8S.

I bought (3) different low KV custom MEGA 16/40 motors and they should get shipped out in10 days or sooner.
2.5R 1375-1400KV
2.5S with lower KV
3 Turn lowest KV

Recently you met a friend of mine in Texas and hooked him up with some cut down props. He really appreciated that.
He will be testing those props tonight on 2700-3000W. He promised to call me so I can hear the motor ROAR.

Time for a payback….Your turn to get hooked up.

You can try those (3) motors on various props on 6S, 7S, 8S. No need to buy anything. Arrange a meeting with my buddy, have fun trying various things and then give him the motors back at end of the day. You both have data loggers…bonus.

If interested send me a PM.

p.s. I just called him and he said that he looks forward to seeing you again.

Later bro,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:04 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
Ritewing SEFF video
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post

Pics for you in a few days
Here you go Murdo
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:46 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,048 Posts
Beautiful, Mopar. Thanks!
I think I was over-complicating it in my mind. I take it it's constructed from thin Coro?

Here's what I got whipped up so far. Some people go to Wal Mart shopping for fine wine to drink. I buy their fine wine because the fine wine bottle is the perfect shape to mold a ram air scoop.

I plan to attach it and fair it in with a Gorilla Glue fillet and then run some glass over the joint to tie it down real good.

I have it placed for the pic so it overlaps the motor a little, to hopefully get a little more air pressure directed into the cooling holes rather than around the motor, since I've learned the hard way that a motor's windings can burn without the can feeling hot. I've thought about trying to get it a little more sealed against the can of the motor. But that may be going too far. Any thoughts on this?

I'll also place an intake hole in the center of the electronics bay under the scoop to dump some of the ram air into the bay to cool the ESC. Then at the back corner of the ESC area, I'll put an exhaust hole with a rear facing scoop on it.

Sound alright?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Beautiful, Mopar. Thanks!
I think I was over-complicating it in my mind. I take it it's constructed from thin Coro?

Here's what I got whipped up so far. Some people go to Wal Mart shopping for fine wine to drink. I buy their fine wine because the fine wine bottle is the perfect shape to mold a ram air scoop.

I plan to attach it and fair it in with a Gorilla Glue fillet and then run some glass over the joint to tie it down real good.

I have it placed for the pic so it overlaps the motor a little, to hopefully get a little more air pressure directed into the cooling holes rather than around the motor, since I've learned the hard way that a motor's windings can burn without the can feeling hot. I've thought about trying to get it a little more sealed against the can of the motor. But that may be going too far. Any thoughts on this?

I'll also place an intake hole in the center of the electronics bay under the scoop to dump some of the ram air into the bay to cool the ESC. Then at the back corner of the ESC area, I'll put an exhaust hole with a rear facing scoop on it.

Sound alright?
I would wonder if you might get some better cooling by moving the clamshell up to the forward edge of the motor (or move the motor back in its mount, probably nesessitating more nose weight), allowing you to install a MPI / Medusa style honkin BIG heatsink .......... ???

I would try to direct some air across the outer finns on your clamshell heatsink to keep dissipating as much of its heat as you can.

Having "ram" air going into the windings is a "Home Run"

What did you do with the wine ???
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway