HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
I managed to burn a servo out on my demon in flight in the weekend, luckily it was on approach to landing and not at full noise. Dont fly so good with one elevon

I think im gonna pot my servos on the new one, just so they are easier to change. Im sooo over changing servos.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:04 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantseatflyer View Post
Does the IYF supposed to be packed with balsa elevons? Reason I ask is that I was checking out the box that CK sent me and did a quick inventory. There were two wing halves (plus beds), glass rods, one CF rod, some coroplast and a aluminum motor mount. That was it! Am I missing something?

Yes elevons were supposed to be included, I gotcha covered there as well.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:58 AM
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2006
596 Posts
I wish there were a sale while CK is out. I would like to do a nightflyer for my next plane!
jpinn is offline Find More Posts by jpinn
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
If you watch my only night flier video, bout 10 secs after the launch I make this maniacal chipmunk laugh, I dont think I have ever made that sound before! The experience is amazing!!!! Wait for the 44 its the shizzle!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:10 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Adam-

What lights did you use on the might flyer? It was awesome!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:00 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
http://www.lowpricerc.com/advanced_s...ds=led&x=0&y=0
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
I managed to burn a servo out on my demon in flight in the weekend, luckily it was on approach to landing and not at full noise. Dont fly so good with one elevon

I think im gonna pot my servos on the new one, just so they are easier to change. Im sooo over changing servos.
If you give your planes away after they crash theres no need to replace servos! I suppose losing a servo in flight is more rare then say an esc smoking..... Assuming you buy namebrand servos that is.....

Please do a tutorial on how to pot. I know I can find them on the slope forum but I would like to see how you apply it to a wing. Are you thinking individual lids for each servo or one massive lid that covers the batts and servos together?

BTW I have taken up your style of cutting the door out of the coro instead of making it the door like I used to do. So I just lay a big 9x6 lid on the top and cut my bay doors inside of that lid. Mucho stronger!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:22 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
I used Bluebird thin wing metalgear digitals in it, never again. I had two in my slope slice and stripped them without even trying, and now the dead one in the demon.

A mate of mine up the road is a pro when it comes to potting servos, he builds DS wings (Windrider Superfreaked Bats), Ill dig up some of his photos as I was planning on copying him!
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:46 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
I used Bluebird thin wing metalgear digitals in it, never again. I had two in my slope slice and stripped them without even trying, and now the dead one in the demon.

A mate of mine up the road is a pro when it comes to potting servos, he builds DS wings (Windrider Superfreaked Bats), Ill dig up some of his photos as I was planning on copying him!
I learned early on that thin wing servos were disappointing, I also don't like any metal geared servos, just not precise enough for me.

So far the karbonite gears seem to have the smoothest, most solid feel to it but thats my poor opinion, i have never owned a servo over $50 so I cant compare to the super precise stuff.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:59 PM
Fast is good
USA, IN, Hagerstown
Joined Oct 2003
368 Posts
my ARC died

Hi guys I had the shaft break in my barc 28/47/1.5 again, thats two smoke two broking shafts, Does any body make anything else that will perform on 4S like the arc? maybe something with a 4mm shaft?
Jeff
jrplane is offline Find More Posts by jrplane
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:01 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:

I use cling wrap and pu to pot servos.

I wrap the servo in the glad cling wrap not saran wrap (to thin) then, then i cut my servo hole out, and i use 2 inch blue tape on the surface of the foam or covering that way foaming pu will peel off eazy then i pore pu in the servo hole hit it with soem water and mix it up wait till it just starts to foam and push the servo into the hole..

I then place a piece of wax paper over that and a piece of ply and some lead to hold it all down..

when it is dry (next day) i can trim the exses foam up off and then wiggle the servo out.. pull the cling wrap out of the hole or off the servo and the servo will be a snug fit.. a dap of hot melt hot glue will hold it in just fine..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:08 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,337 Posts
sounds like a cool solution Paul, worth a go on my updraft.
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Apr 17, 2010, 02:09 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
its easy to do I have also mixed micro ballons in with the pu but i think that just add's wieght..

practice on a scrap piece with a old servo first try you will see how it works and make it perfect each time..

you can also make a ply cover and wax paper it place it over the servoo and let everything dry...

I have done both and each has its merits
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:36 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
Can anyone sell me motor mount plates? I broke mine off when I shouldn't have, and now it's not long enough to sit over the spar in the Zephyr. I'd take 3 if you had them, so I can use 2 to clamp.

Thanks!
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:59 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
it does not actually have to go over the spar... Once things are glassed in there is more than enough strength in The back to keep it from flexing.. My TL50 is that way (butted up against the spar and has been for 5 years...