HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:08 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Yes you can go rite now but patience will pay off.

At this stage I like to mist the whole wing with 90. Yes 90 will mist, you gotta hold the can close and move real fast.

Then I hang it from the motor mount and let it cure. The longer the better. No joke if it hangs for a couple weeks it feels stiffer and lighter.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:53 PM
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2006
596 Posts
I don't know if I can hold off just looking at it for weeks. But I will give it a light misting coat and hang it for now.
jpinn is online now Find More Posts by jpinn
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:41 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinn View Post
I don't know if I can hold off just looking at it for weeks. But I will give it a light misting coat and hang it for now.
I get it, wait at least a day.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:56 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Another Adam Special...

Thanks to Adam, I can share the latest addition to my fleet in this thread: an IYF 30 lite. I made my own wingtips, and my own control rods and motor for luxury. Not that I don't approve of Adam's wingtips, I just didn't have them to use... now I know what those screws, paper washers, and plastic tubes are for. The motor I made is a 16turn half parallel 25awg blu'n'red wonder, good for 27oz thrust at 19.7A with an APC 6x4e and a Rhino 3s1250 30C. This was with a blu'n'red core that sucked, so can't wait until HK gets more in stock and I can make a "good one".

With an AUW of 13.5oz (1.35oz Pb in nose), I wasn't sure how hard I needed to chuck it for maiden. So I tossed it hard in to the wind, and it rocketed vertical at just under half throttle. Full throttle was scary in the small field I used during lunch today. From my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if it was breaking past the bench test pitch speed of 72mph. Nice flying, easy to use, slick wing... can't wait to get CG and rates tuned in... I can tell being a slacker is going to be fun!

Thanks Adam... I'll post video soon... just didn't wear a hat to work so had nothing to tape my little camera to.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:00 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Thanx Kev! Yeah just so everyone know this guy can wind a motor far supiorior to stock and it looks much cleaner then stock. I am having him play with a MD double that I snagged off the groups. The MD double will go on the 54 Zephyr.

The Zeph will prolly be built lite, no glass, 3mil Lam film all the way round!
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:09 PM
UND UAS Pilot
University of North Dakota
Joined Mar 2008
13 Posts
Its been a longtime since ive been on this thread... couple hundred pages since hahaha wow. Has anyone tried a ducted fan on the demon? or how bout a molded composite wing? im a college student getting a degree in unmanned aircraft systems and commercial aviation. I do have access to some serious machinery to make a mold and try a comp wing, just wondering if anyone has tried before i put that much time and money in it. Im trying to hit the 200mph mark with a flying wing.... forget those hotliners, wings are sexy. I would think the loss in efficiency of spinning a prop at 40k rpm would be enormous so an EDF would be the way to go. Im not looking for flight time, just SPEED btw i already a have a demon on 4s 5000mah and arc motor... need more (as i start twitching )
cctaylor410 is offline Find More Posts by cctaylor410
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:42 PM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctaylor410 View Post
I would think the loss in efficiency of spinning a prop at 40k rpm would be enormous so an EDF would be the way to go.
Whats inside a EDF ?
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Apr 07, 2010, 04:25 PM
UND UAS Pilot
University of North Dakota
Joined Mar 2008
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwelli View Post
Whats inside a EDF ?
... a fan/propeller hahah but that fact that it is shrouded is what makes it more efficient at high rpms. the only downside is the static thrust for small edf units. Im thinking a 100mm edf and an 8s setup would be a good start. They have around 10lbs of thrust static
cctaylor410 is offline Find More Posts by cctaylor410
Old Apr 07, 2010, 04:54 PM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,337 Posts
Quote:
... a fan/propeller hahah but that fact that it is shrouded is what makes it more efficient at high rpms. the only downside is the static thrust for small edf units. Im thinking a 100mm edf and an 8s setup would be a good start. They have around 10lbs of thrust static
Wow, that would be cool to see
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Apr 07, 2010, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,870 Posts
cctaylor410,

I think you should run a prop first before trying to go after EDF.

I do believe a prop will be faster than EDF.

***Later this month someone will try running a wing at high speed (180+++ up to 200+ MPH)....so you may want to hold off buying major parts or doing a build till then.
After that you will have some data as far as how many Watts on what size prop gave what speed....and then adjust your goal based on that data.

If your ARC is 28mm, then it'll never have a chance of hitting 200 MPH in level flight even if it's a 58mm long can.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Apr 07, 2010, 07:50 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
651 Posts
I just found out about dynamic soaring today. Can we try something like this? Anyone live where there's lots of sloping wind?

New Dynamic Soaring World Record -- 392mph (2 min 5 sec)
hawkz is online now Find More Posts by hawkz
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:02 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
hmmmmm let me think...... That was sarcasm rite?
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:33 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Do a search on the skyvak

CK did a custom foward swept edf it was fast but props are faster...

Frontal drag with a edf makes them less efficient in practice..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:42 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Hi guys, I was out flying my new IYF 30 in a small field again. Starting to get used to it... probing limits and whatnot. I decided to see how it handled a WOT dive. It fluttered pretty good. Here's a video of the fun:

Ritewing IYF30 Fluttering (2 min 27 sec)

No worries, the control rod just pulled itself out of a quick connect, and the prop has a small nick where the metal part of the rod hit it. If I had a small flathead screwdriver on me I would have kept flying. No sign of damage to the wing... Adam builds 'em tough. Doppler on that video showed approximately 68mph. Adam said keep it under 70, and it does fine under 70. No doubt I was pushing it on that dive... need to avoid the urge to do that in the future.

Cheers,
Kev

PS: Sorry for that crotch shot guys.
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:57 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi View Post
Do a search on the skyvak

CK did a custom foward swept edf it was fast but props are faster...

Frontal drag with a edf makes them less efficient in practice..
Here's the thread on mine which at this moment is in Tim's trailer for SEFF.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood