SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2008, 08:09 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
if you let it dry it is sandable but i think heat will soften it. i've taken little bumps out when applying covering.
punkrockd is online now Find More Posts by punkrockd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2008, 08:51 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2346437
What would be the rite method to fix the window? Henry cloth and 3M 90? Patch it up with a little strip of Monokote? CA? GOOP?

Sorry Paul, I've had days like that too!
Atctually 3m storage tape on the inside will have to do till summer when i replave it..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 01, 2008, 08:59 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Bad thing about it being a Miata is you have to replace the whole top.
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Old Jan 01, 2008, 09:30 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman65
Bad thing about it being a Miata is you have to replace the whole top.
Actuall no.. it is a Robins top so it can just have the window section replaced.. still a hassle but cheaper than the new top from 2 years ago...

Im going to have to get a larger vehicale anyways the miata is a pain to get wings and such to the flying field..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 01, 2008, 09:57 PM
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Glad to hear that I'm getting ready to make my elevons and for the forty and don't know if I should round the outer tip or not. Is there any significant advantage in round over squared off? It is not uncommon to see them both ways. Thanks

Tony
Old Jan 01, 2008, 10:39 PM
cant leave things stock
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
"What is done to cool the ESC and other electronics in these wings ? Anything ? Seems to me the ESC will get pretty hot closed up in that compartment."

I put a scoop over the hole I leave over the ESC & then usually leave an exit for theair as well but have had great results in cooling even with no exit

the blue plane & the red plane both ended up with scoops & I guess like my last 4 or 5 have the pix of those wings are before they were completed

the red slice dosent have elevons in that pic

take care
JAK
jstoll is offline Find More Posts by jstoll
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:01 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward
What is done to cool the ESC and other electronics in these wings ? Anything ? Seems to me the ESC will get pretty hot closed up in that compartment.

When glassing what can be done with the 3M 90 if it ends up lumpy ? Mine kicked so quick today that trying to smooth it caused the Bondo shaper to drag the 3M 90 into little lumps. Will heat smooth it out ? Or what ? It is not all that bad, I just would like a smoother surface for the Monokote.

Bob
Trick is..... dont just sand at it like a madman, sand a little let it cool, sand a little let it cool. reapeat, if it heats up those lumps melt into unremoveable boogers. I use 80-120 grit should be fine. Sometimes scratch at it with your nail in between sanding. Be sure to apply more glue when done sanding.

Hood scoop, idea was stolen from the master.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1491028
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Last edited by Atom1025; Jan 01, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:18 PM
cant leave things stock
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
I use a household iron to put on covering
Ive flattened out the biggest boogers just putting the covering on so that they couldent be seen
Ill take some closeups of my covering jobs so you can see

have a great week
JAK
jstoll is offline Find More Posts by jstoll
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:44 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Some times if the buggers are fresh, I just spray a really thick coat of 90 to soften them up then respread smooth again.
The solvents will soften them again if they are not too dry.
The trick is not to work such a big area so it wont get ahead of you.
Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jan 02, 2008, 06:53 PM
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
You guys hear that? crickets! The lights are flickering and growing dim around Mesa, power grid is overloaded. Klique labs must be working overtime again.

I guess our wives are moderating our smacktalk now, geez what's next
Old Jan 02, 2008, 07:05 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Yeah, everyone sure clammed up. I wondered if they all passed out or something. Hope it wasn't an omen for things to happen the rest of the year.

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
Old Jan 02, 2008, 07:11 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Selling stuff

I am selling some ritewing power plants in the trader area. Take $5 bucks off the asking price if you fly a Ritewing I will be posting more as I dig stuff up.

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jan 02, 2008, 07:18 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
I am here ,I am just hard at work in the shop on my 250 mph wings for SEFF
LOL.
ck
Old Jan 02, 2008, 07:30 PM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Sorry... I was out flying my today! I recently did a bit of maintenance on my my Tee El Fifty. Taped up some loose bits of monokote near the batt bay and electronics bay as well as some small tears on the bottom from landing in rough areas. Definitely seemed to fly a bit faster especially. First flight in about 2 weeks. So I'm as happy as a clam! that thing is a blast to fly! Wooo-hoooo.

Question regarding flourescent colors... how do you protect them?

My top surface has faded immensly!!! For now on I will keep it covered in the car or any other time it might be affected from UV. Am I the only one that has experienced the extreme fading? Is there any way to protect it from UV fading it? Need to replace the flourescent top coat to restore visibility!

Will hopefully finish my Mini Demon in the next few weeks and then transition to my 36 Sportster
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy
Old Jan 02, 2008, 07:31 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Hey scott just dont use orange flouro ,I have stopped using it because of the fading.The red is way better.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefboy
Sorry... I was out flying my today! I recently did a bit of maintenance on my my Tee El Fifty. Taped up some loose bits of monokote near the batt bay and electronics bay as well as some small tears on the bottom from landing in rough areas. Definitely seemed to fly a bit faster especially. First flight in about 2 weeks. So I'm as happy as a clam! that thing is a blast to fly! Wooo-hoooo.

Question regarding flourescent colors... how do you protect them?

My top surface has faded immensly!!! For now on I will keep it covered in the car or any other time it might be affected from UV. Am I the only one that has experienced the extreme fading? Is there any way to protect it from UV fading it? Need to replace the flourescent top coat to restore visibility!

Will hopefully finish my Mini Demon in the next few weeks and then transition to my 36 Sportster