HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:46 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
Dude! You had me scared while reading that!!!! I thought you had lost her for good.

I take it you did't get much time for tuning and all that.

I dont get it, you use spektrum so haw did it lose radio? Dou you think its because the RC is buried? It should'nt affect it as nothing aside from the spar blocks signal.

Give me a call tomorrow so I can get more details.
It was all my fault. I dropped a lipo on the BEC that was small and weak. Didn't check it before flight (like an idiot). Won't make that mistake again
By the time we got it out of the tree the LEDs had stopped working because the pack was dead. Oh, and you can hear a little about it in the latest episode of the podcast at allthingsthatfly.com (shameless plug)

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Last edited by Diggs; Nov 20, 2007 at 11:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:50 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
I told ya to use the 800mah packs?

Glad she is safe, did you fly at night or day, dusk? How did the lights show up?
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:12 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
What VDC are you running the reciver at.. 4.8 and 5 volts is a bit low and the spectrum stuff can lock out when servo draw is too high..

Some run them at 6 volts and have no problems but a few others have put a 4700uF 15volt cap (electolitic) across the power leads doing to the reciver (use a old servo lead connected to the cap) then use an unused channel to plug it in.. actuall i think spectrun sells just that for high servo count planes..
She has a 6v BEC in her. It is run from a 3s lipo.... I hope... I told him to run a 5-800mah pack. The lights draw 400mah and the servos pull a couple. When I ran it on 2s the lights would sag when the elevons moved. On 3s I did not notice the lights sag.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:47 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
She has a 6v BEC in her. It is run from a 3s lipo.... I hope... I told him to run a 5-800mah pack. The lights draw 400mah and the servos pull a couple. When I ran it on 2s the lights would sag when the elevons moved. On 3s I did not notice the lights sag.
6v is good the spectrum's seem to have a problem and reboot the few secs it takes to reboot usually end up in a crash.

So far it looks like the receivers do not like voltage fluctuations or sags..

Hence the cap on the receiver it acts as a buffer like a cap on a car stereo..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:54 AM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,279 Posts
i just ran up my new micro dan speed, whoa. kinda scary. this is the hottest outrunner i have ever owned. much bigger then i thought. i got to scared to run it up in my hand. wussed out under half throttle.

now what should i put it on...
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:07 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockd
i just ran up my new micro dan speed, whoa. kinda scary. this is the hottest outrunner i have ever owned. much bigger then i thought. i got to scared to run it up in my hand. wussed out under half throttle.

now what should i put it on...
I just got mine last week have not run it up yet...

I think it is going on a 3s 36 inch (TL/DEMON/SLICE) custom core..
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:58 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I know it is not a wing but i needed a devesion from all that epp.

It is made from 3 and 6 mm depron with a LS PP motor and a 6x4 prop

AUW is 12.1 OZ with battery ready to fly.. friday.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Canada
Joined Jun 2006
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
I just got mine last week have not run it up yet...

I think it is going on a 3s 36 inch (TL/DEMON/SLICE) custom core..
I'm running mine on a 4s setup with an APC 4.75x4.75 prop, it's pulling a little over 38 amps and pushing my 36" Sportster beyond 120mph

When I order my new batts from CK, I'm going to try an APC 5x5 prop I'm expecting about 45 - 46 amps 550+ watts with a pitch speed of about 160mph :P

Uhh... and no don't run it full throttle in your hands, I have scars from that lesson learned.

Ed
methos is offline Find More Posts by methos
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos

Uhh... and no don't run it full throttle in your hands, I have scars from that lesson learned.

Ed
Ya that is what the bench vise is for.. (Bitten more than once)
Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:44 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,279 Posts
ran out of 2mm coro so my slope fs is on hold. used it for other things.

so i started to build my mini demon yesterday. i'm almost done.

adam's flew good on the hill. hope my non prop version does better.

large front bay to get help move the batt for cg. using a 2s 1320 with a medusa bec, i've made pockets for the rx and bec just to the sides of the battery bay.
Last edited by punkrockd; Nov 22, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:00 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
very nice..

Let me know if you need some 2mm coro i still have 5 or 6 sheets of it..
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:25 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,279 Posts
could use a sheet.

might be in the walnut creek area tomorrow. pm me your #
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:47 PM
Upland, CA
Joined Mar 2007
581 Posts
Nice looking mini demon. Reminds me of my Gentle Lady, had the same color scheme. Need to buy some covering and a new iron tomorrow.
swoof is offline Find More Posts by swoof
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:28 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Oh here is my rite wing.

rite wing demon 40 on 4s .steve neu motor , 6x4 gas prop and this thing is a screamer..

had a mishap when i was flying at dusk and missed the runway at our club so i went around ounce and lost it in the down leg side due to orientation issues and dumped it.

damage was the loss of the battery and a crinkle in the nose...new battery being ordered now via chris....Oh this plane was build by Chris cool:
I changed the bottom covering to neon colors to help me in orientation while flying at dusk.

the smaller wing u see is a wild wing build the rite way and came out so nize and now its my beater wing . powered by microdan speed motor and this one rips and very silent compared to the bigger demon.this one is agile and is fast say approx 100mph down wing or in a dive and lands so easy as its light ..20 oz

P.s is there any way to take out the wrinkles on the rite wing esp the nose? mine is not squished or blunt as u see in the pics just 2 wrinkles on the nose..kinda bugs me as i do fly FG jets and apperance matters !!
Mike_eee is offline Find More Posts by Mike_eee
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:27 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
I love my FS48

Just got in from another round and I am torn between favorites. This is definitely in the top three favs.

The roll rate is insane! With max throws on the servo its still easily controlled. Somehow without changing a thing??? The torque roll is gone??? Its flying awesome now. My guess on the matter is two possibilities, Perhaps I had a twist in the wing when covering and now it has relaxed??? Or maybe the servo was binding and now it loosened up?

The end result is one of my favorite planes. I am still blown away by the yank and bank. Its frickin awesome.

The down side. The plane needs lots of weight in the nose to balance against a Het motor. Not horrible but the plane could be much lighter. This makes it a little tougher to launch. With the small prop it takes a while for the prop to bite and get moving. once its moving she is quick. By the way my AUW is 40oz which is still awesome for a plane of this size.

The fix.... Run this on a lighter motor. I think this bird built light with a Microdan on the tail will be insanely fun.

My next one will be with a Microdan.

Whats New?

I decided to maiden the TL40 ultralight. I could'nt wait for the Microdan and mount so I strapped my Warp4 3T with a 6x4 and gave her a toss. Maiden was smooth as can be three click of down and a couple right and she was dialed. CG was dead on with no lead running 3s2p2100's. The all up weight came in at 33oz.

Man This one is now on the top three favorites list. Its even better then my old TL-Lite. Very floaty but still does'nt do slow very well. Gets real tipsy like the big ones. The strange thing about this one is the roll rate. Most TL40's do a barrel roll and need a lot of dialing to get it axial. This one had a really crisp roll and very fast as well. The best rolling TL40 I have seen.

But.... Bad thing happened! The esc overheated and the motor wires and a single FET desoldered. I am so lucky that that happened cause the BEC stayed functioning and I was able to deadstick landing and just scraped up the covering a little, no tears

Very strange as I have run this exact setup for over a year now on an older PH45? I had a brand new PH45 in this one and same motor. Possible it was the esc or something programed into it different? Bah! The thing was brand new and on its first flight! I bought it from a member so I have no receipt

The Mini Demon

This plane is really fun, I always have a blast with it. This is the fastest rolling plane in the hanger. Its a blender. I flew it on a 3s 910 today to move the CG back and it was nearly perfect. Perhaps a fraction to tail heavy but now she dives strait down without pulling up. Inverted is almost hand off. The CG is now at 6.5" from the nose and I feel this is the maximum you should go without catastrophic outcome. I think 6.3-6.4" is spot on.

Again if anybody needs a layout I will send it your way. Hopefully we will get it published soon.

Had some great flights today!

Thanks for reading!
Adam