HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2009, 06:55 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
That motor has a 2800 kv and weighs 110 grams or so...run on 3s or 4s with a 6x4

Spinning the apc 6x4 at 45000 would be hazardous to everyones health! A problem occurs with the wings as you go up in diameter though, and they want to torque roll. I haven't experienced this, but my wings don't got over 120 CK could tell you all about it.

You metioned not wanting to break the wing...i think 4-5kW is a good way to accomplish that lol.

My opinion, if you are set on going crazy
NEU 1512/2D on 4s with a 7x10 (stock APC prop, found many places but not tower, they make all the way from a 7x5 to a 7x10 APC sport prop)
NEU 1512/2.5D on 6s with a 7x10
maybe 1509/2Y on 6s with 7x10, though it is only guessed to be 83% efficient, so lots of heat, even in LMR

Both predict 230 amps or so, and about 88% efficiency. Those are pretty heavy motors, i doubt you'd be able to get the wing to balance with out a TON of lead up front with that big of a motor. Usually it needs a little nose weight when running the usual 110 gram motor

One thing to think about is that this wing is going to need some amount of throttle to cruise, and with these higher turn NEU motors the IR is going to be pretty high. It might not get much chance to cool off, which could be unhealthy for the motor....
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Last edited by Thekid3418; Apr 09, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:17 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa
I like the shirts... So how does an Alabama Ritewinger get one of those? All I have is my first Ritewing T.

I know the planes below are not Ritewings, but I got a few painted today. I will be bringing them to SEFF. It will be for late evening flying, or a few beers type of plane which ever comes first. All rudders are painted just not glued on yet.
They are made of epp so you can bounce them a few times with out much damage.. Ask me how I know...
Those are looking might fine TAZ.. I like Bright... eazy to see at dusk...

what motor you setting them up with..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:34 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
I like the shirts... So how does an Alabama Ritewinger get one of those? All I have is my first Ritewing T.

I know the planes below are not Ritewings, but I got a few painted today. I will be bringing them to SEFF. It will be for late evening flying, or a few beers type of plane which ever comes first. All rudders are painted just not glued on yet.
They are made of epp so you can bounce them a few times with out much damage.. Ask me how I know...
You selling any of these at SEFF? I would be interested! Looking forward to meeting all the ritewing crew this year. It was awesome hanging with Nuisance and CK last year, but the more, the mo bettah.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:40 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
So how does one get on the tour?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:50 PM
cant leave things stock
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Feb 2007
1,442 Posts
I took out my beater demon today & ran it with a long can 1.5T on 5S with a 4.75X4.75 & it was screaming

the motor did come down hot but the bats & ESC werent too bad

I did pull a total rookie move later on the A123s & 5.5X4.5 though & got it inverted I panicked & put it into a high speed stall
I did cut the throttle long before it hit the ground
that one had taken a couple of hits allready but all the gear is good
I will probably patch it up

this evening I ran 2 sets of bats on the fity though without incident accept a broken motor shaft I ran that one on 2X 3S 12C 3800mah bats in paralell
I used a 5.5X4.5 on a 1.5 turn long can & I think I was pulling a bit more then the bats wanted to take they seemed to sag & hit cut
either that or the bats need to be cycled a couple of times as they had been sittting around a bit before I got them
I did get a couple good passes though
that plane was hard for me to land just as the sun was going down with no wind
it was hard for me to judge the distance it is a floater
I brought it in with the broken motor & flew at least one circuit in the park with all the poles below the lights before it slowed down enough to land :-)
I had fun & just wasent conservative enough with the demon (fast rolls & loops)

edit
AHH I ran all the bats using my old charger with the lipodapter & got 2000mah into the bats I used which were short flights & the pair I dident is at 1000mah & rising so I put in dead batts because I used the newer charger I was givven & dident really know how to use it

you all have a great weekend
JAK
jstoll is offline Find More Posts by jstoll
Last edited by jstoll; Apr 09, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2009, 09:51 PM
More props are better than One
Joined Nov 2004
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
Those are looking might fine TAZ.. I like Bright... eazy to see at dusk...

what motor you setting them up with..
I am putting a 1500kv with an 8x4HD prop. I have been using 3s 1300mAh.
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Apr 09, 2009, 10:19 PM
cant leave things stock
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Feb 2007
1,442 Posts
you are very artistic
maybe I can hit you up for some advise on a scheme for my DLite

Im down for a shirt too but I want it only to say ritewing not the other stuff although Im stoked for chris if he is sponsored
take care
JAK

Quote:

Old Apr 09, 2009, 10:39 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
This one turned out looking so cool I had to share it with ya,all.
Looks very good Atom... Now if you could come over and cover my D-Lite...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
cant leave things stock
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Feb 2007
1,442 Posts
here is the Dlite as it is now :-)

its looking pretty good mostly
a couple of little bumps under the glass that I should have sanded better but all & all its lookin pretty good
I cant wait to get the elevons on & fly it

its raining cats & dogs today though

take care
JAK
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:53 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
My D-lite

Here is my D lite..... I am almost done building!!! I will have a week to relax...... Kinda.....

I've been meaning to try out this leading edge since Ck's B&W that he did. I think it will help when its heading strait at ya....
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:07 AM
cant leave things stock
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Feb 2007
1,442 Posts
nice work as usual :-)
is that reflective? the white on the LE or is it just the camera flash?
take care
JAK
PS call me so we can brainstorm the brakes on your truck
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:09 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Nice, Adam.. Whacha gonna power it with?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2004
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
Here is my D lite..... I am almost done building!!! I will have a week to relax...... Kinda.....

I've been meaning to try out this leading edge since Ck's B&W that he did. I think it will help when its heading strait at ya....
Great looking plane as always Atom... I still have not covered mine yet. I was waiting on the scoop set I ordered to see where to cut the holes. Got all the servos mounted on the Fireflys...Now it's time to solder up 7 motors/esc's, Humm that will end up being 35 solder joints including the battery connectors..
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:34 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
The white is this super reflective tape that I got from streetglo.com, not the cheapest stuff. I have not tested it personally, but I hope it makes visibility much better.

Adam

Thats a lot of solder Tas!

Shes running the typical D- lite setup, ARC 28-47-1.5, CC80, 4s 5000. Has me nervous as its been a year or more since I have flown anything this fast and heavy.....
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Adam,

You put that same reflective tape on the LE of my Dlite. I hate to say it, but it doesn't make much difference. Now and then the sun will hit it right and you do see it stand out, but I think the LE Tape the guys are using on sailplanes would be more visible. But I do like the look of the white LE.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs