Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Nice bro ,I love those old tl 40's
Nice build and great cam work too.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Well.. I am officially a Rite Winger..

got my TL maidened today.. I was at a fly-in on Columbus day and there lewas a guy there with a TL-50 which made me want to get mine in the air more.. While looking at his, his seemed huge, I thought for sure it was a TL-60.. He told me it was a TL-50.. Seemed muuuch bigger than my TL-50.. So, I got home and checked my TL-50.. Turns out, it's a TL-40.. I got a TL-50 from Chris and picked up several wing core sets from a few folks here on the groups..

So, I have a TL-40 RTF, not a TL-50 like I had thought.. Either way, I figured I'd get it flying..

These things rock! I've only gotten one flight in on it, but I have to say, it was one of the most enjoyable maidens I've flown.. The launch was well, a little hairy, I added up some elevon "just in case" and it had much more than it needed..

Video of the maiden..

http://www.vimeo.com/1977389

Setup on this one:

HET 4W
4S(2x2s) DualSky 5000's
APC 6x4 Sport
Great Planes 45amp ESC (soon to be swapped)
DS821 servos

Here is a still of the RTF bird..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Nice job Tram!! I helped a bud of mine get his demon 40 in the air for the first time and it was the first wing I had launched that had a skid plate under the nose. Huge help in the launch and keeping the nose down on the toss since you have a finger grip and you are less likely to push up and can grab on. It was really thin, but just a little spot for the fingers to latch onto made a big difference. Most all my launches look very similar to yours, but with the skid plate I can toss the wing nice and flat. Plus the skid plate does keep the covering protected if you land in some dirt or rough surface.

Nice vid, looks like a ton of fun!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:33 PM
Joined Aug 2006
719 Posts
Yes a good vid Congrats on joining the RW 'club'

Try launching like I do in my above vid. It really is easy that way. Great launch angle every time, nice & level etc etc & your right hand is on the stick just incase. Used this way with wings up to 48" so far, easy easy every time...

Must get to bed soon it's 3.32am here. This is how my eyes look
ukpaul is offline Find More Posts by ukpaul
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:45 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Put a second flight on it earlier and got it going much better.. I had added too much up for the "just in case I need it" type situations.. I think I've got the hang of it now..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:51 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Nice one Tram

You almost got the "Hover" award for your TL40 launch....

It's not a 3D machine...

B
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:54 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Yeh.. I oops'd it..
Old Oct 16, 2008, 04:07 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Yeh.. I oops'd it..
HAHA We have al done one of those...

Nice to see you in the mix now...

TL40 I miss mine sometimes...
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 16, 2008, 02:48 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL, Sumiton
Joined Nov 2004
2,145 Posts
Great maiden... Glad to see all went well... Nothing like that first wing... It only gets worse from here.. cause you can't have just one...
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Oct 16, 2008, 03:01 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
HAHA We have al done one of those...

Nice to see you in the mix now...

TL40 I miss mine sometimes...
Any idea how fast the TL-40 should be on the Typhoon 4W and 4S?

I *SHOULD* have been in the mix over a year ago, Chris sent me a TL-50 to review here at RCG, somewhere in the middle I bought several wing cores, the TL-40, a TL-50 and mixed them up..

I need to weigh it.. I'll go do that in a bit..

How much quicker is the Demon over the TL with the same power train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa
Great maiden... Glad to see all went well... Nothing like that first wing... It only gets worse from here.. cause you can't have just one...

Yeh, I can see that.. I've already got 4 Rite Wings, 1 flying.. I just bought a 36" Lightning... I guess I need a Demon now..
Last edited by Tram; Oct 31, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:06 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
the demon, tl40 and demon lite have very similar airfoils, they are exactly the same thickness, but have different sweep and slightly different chord at the wing tip(demon is 1/2" longer).

Here is a pic of the foils

And a pic of sweep
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:47 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
Nice pics for comparison, man!
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Those are cuts from 3 years ago boosted.
They are not the same now ,those were cores from when I was working with Monsoon rc .They have ben in my scrap pile of buildible rejects for years.

They are demon and tl foils but thats about it.

I would not compare them to anything newer if you are trying to find exating info.
ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 17, 2008, 03:17 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Any idea how fast the TL-40 should be on the Typhoon 4W and 4S?
I never clocked it.. FAST!! It was faster than the tl50 with the same setup... and my tl50 was clocked at 120... All day long..

I think my TL50 needs to be recovered... It is was duller and faded than in the photo
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 21, 2008, 06:13 PM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, ME, Mapleton
Joined May 2005
897 Posts
SEFF 2008 Video

Hey guys,
I see the Higher Planes SEFF 2008 video has been released. Anyone know if it has any Ritewing footage in it? How about Jason Schulman's Ritewing performance?

If not, I'll pass

Eric
e2346437 is online now Find More Posts by e2346437
Old Oct 21, 2008, 06:29 PM
Joined Aug 2006
719 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't tinker with it...

The Castle 35 in my Lightning had a bit of a meltdown today. It got so hot the middle motor wire de-soldered itself from the circuit board in flight, ooops

Had a zillion flights on the thing so I ain't complaining, I knew I was torturing the thing & have been surprised it's not packed up beforehand.

I've yet to remove it from the wing & resolder it back on, you never know... but I expect it to be toast.

This was the first flight I had done after changing it to fixed end points. Never used this setting before as it ran fine with the 'standard' setting. Also I have been curious for a while just how much I was overloading the CC35 in flight, so decided to fit the Eagletree to see what was happening. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered It pulled about 500-550watts static, much the same as in flight it now seems. I wonder if it was just coincidence it died after doing these two things & if I had left well alone it would still be working? Oh well I have a CC60 on the shelf so guess the L36 is getting an upgrade

Below is the graph from this flight for those that are interested in such things.
Climb out is at about 60% stick, 20A, 300w.
Then full bananas, 46A, 650w.
Back off at altitude, WOT again with a 50A 700w peak, ooh err
Back off again & the rest of the flight is WOT all the time. Pack then settles down to it's normal ~14v under load, giving about 550w at 40A, much the same as the static test results.

I'll let you know if it does live to fight another day & take a pic or two when I get around to removing it...

Still most impressed with the CC ESC's. Doubt a cheap 35A job would have lasted this long. The Microdan still impresses me too, ~550w constant with peaks up to ~700w from a 34g motor, comes down cold, awsome.
ukpaul is offline Find More Posts by ukpaul