SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2007, 12:06 AM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
40' CK Slice maiden flight

Got to burn a couple of packs today in my new Slice!! After I got it dialed, wound up being a very fun little bird!! Tracks like a bigger RiteWing with snappy roll rates. Good run times at fun speeds. The things that make this one different for me is......Nice it just runs on one three cell batts.......because its a light but powerful RiteWing, it's the easiest one I've launched yet....I feel the invert is the truest of any plane I've flow, meaning, once you get it trimmed up for level flight and flip to invert.......it's pretty danged close to flying level. It's salmonable A very nice addition to the hanger..........Thanks Chris!!
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2007, 12:32 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Thats great news Terry! Glad you had a good day!

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Oct 07, 2007, 12:37 AM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
Slice 40 set up observations

Since this is a pretty new model of RiteWing, I thought I'd post some stuff on the set up and trim. I'll go through the steps I like to go through before I fly a new bird. My set up is 16/15/3 Mega CC35 25C poly 3s 3300 4.75X4.75 APC. All up weight 33.7 oz. CG 6.125" 1/8" travel on throws ( at mid elevon thickness )

Chris said start out at 6" CG.........so I added 4 0z of lead in the shop. First flight, kinda squirrely, so added another 1/2 oz.......a little better, so I added another 1/2 oz and got acceptable stability. After I got the cg rite, did a dive test, and slightly tail heavy, but I'm sticking with it.

Chris said......low rates! Here's how I start. I use subtrim to dial initial elevon position. I put in a little up reflex. In this case the Slice went straight up after launch, so I wouldn't recommend much reflex for the Slice. Then I measure the throws at 100 % rates. I make sure all the ups and downs are the same using EPA adjustments. I then go to dual rates. On the first set up I go to 20 % neg expo in case the plane is real squirrely. On the second, no expo. On the first set up I go to a safe low rate. On the second, a little higher rate. On the first flight I get the trim set, then see what invert is like and adjust trim a little for invert. Then I fly a little and get a feel for it, then switch to the second rate and see what that's like. That helps me decide if I'm having CG issues or too much throw. On the Slice, the 100 % throws were 3/8's inch. Wound up at 40 % rates which mic'd out at 1/8 inch, at mid ele thickness. I change my rates often based on how I want to fly.

I've flown this set up on APC 5.5X4.5 and almost went with it. Used the wattmeter and mic'd 45 amps, so proped down and got 36 amps and that made my esc happier and longer run times and easier on the batt, which came down slightly warm. 400 watts and some change
Old Oct 07, 2007, 01:49 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Terry how did it fly.That is a verry small prop.I am using a 5 1/4 by 4.5 and is is just enough.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger
Since this is a pretty new model of RiteWing, I thought I'd post some stuff on the set up and trim. I'll go through the steps I like to go through before I fly a new bird. My set up is 16/15/3 Mega CC35 25C poly 3s 3300 4.75X4.75 APC. All up weight 33.7 oz. CG 6.125" 1/8" travel on throws ( at mid elevon thickness )

Chris said start out at 6" CG.........so I added 4 0z of lead in the shop. First flight, kinda squirrely, so added another 1/2 oz.......a little better, so I added another 1/2 oz and got acceptable stability. After I got the cg rite, did a dive test, and slightly tail heavy, but I'm sticking with it.

Chris said......low rates! Here's how I start. I use subtrim to dial initial elevon position. I put in a little up reflex. In this case the Slice went straight up after launch, so I wouldn't recommend much reflex for the Slice. Then I measure the throws at 100 % rates. I make sure all the ups and downs are the same using EPA adjustments. I then go to dual rates. On the first set up I go to 20 % neg expo in case the plane is real squirrely. On the second, no expo. On the first set up I go to a safe low rate. On the second, a little higher rate. On the first flight I get the trim set, then see what invert is like and adjust trim a little for invert. Then I fly a little and get a feel for it, then switch to the second rate and see what that's like. That helps me decide if I'm having CG issues or too much throw. On the Slice, the 100 % throws were 3/8's inch. Wound up at 40 % rates which mic'd out at 1/8 inch, at mid ele thickness. I change my rates often based on how I want to fly.

I've flown this set up on APC 5.5X4.5 and almost went with it. Used the wattmeter and mic'd 45 amps, so proped down and got 36 amps and that made my esc happier and longer run times and easier on the batt, which came down slightly warm. 400 watts and some change
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 07, 2007, 01:58 AM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Terry how did it fly.That is a verry small prop.I am using a 5 1/4 by 4.5 and is is just enough.
Ck
I ordered some of those and should have them Monday. I would have to go to a higher rated ESC if I prop up at all. The launch had good power. Over all it wasn't crazy fast though, doubt if I broke 100.
Old Oct 07, 2007, 05:32 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Well I just got back from the field, put 4 packs through the FS48 and alls I can say is

The new winglets made a dramatic difference, I did'nt change anything else except I went back to the 6x4 for added thrust.

This thing difinitely feels the tourque from the prop, it flies great power off but as soon as throttle is hammered she starts to spin. So I highly recommend a HET 3W to a 5x5 or the likes. My Warp4 3t has a signifigantly lower KV then the HET 3 so I can spin a larger prop. I may swap out to the HET one of these days.

She can be compared to the TL50 with much sharper reflexes IMHO. Holds the speed through corners like a dream, loops look really awesome. I even salmoned it

I feel I have the CG dialed in for my taste. I have it at 3/8" from where the fuse meets the LE. Roughly 7" from the tip of the fuse.

Since the fuse may change, here is a solid point to measure CG, its right about the most forward point of the root. Mine is 1/8" back from this point.

I have my elevator at 90% roughly 3/8" up and down. Ailerons are maxed out at 140% roughly 1/2" up and down. I could handle a little more but dont need it. The rolls are very quick and as soon as you let off the stick the plane seems to freeze in that position. I was doing some cool 4 point rolls.

I tried my hardest to get a bad tendancy and I could'nt find any, I mean I was snapping the plane violently, yanking to full corners, Hard outside loops, full power dives and just yanking the stick back and nothing! It just went where I told it to!

Just like its cousins it gets a bit wobbly at about 20 mph. I was doing some slow no power passes into the breeze and she would just float at a crawl, but any major stick movements would make her tipsy.

I landed this bird within 5ft of my shoes every single landing, she lands very gentle once you get used to her. I can bring it in slow enough that I feel I could catch it but after hearing about Chris' accident I will never try and catch a Ritewing

So if you really love your TL50, I think you will love the FS48, I honestly feel she is more agile then the 50 but thats an opinion of my own.

I will be doing a build log on the FS48 that will cover all the changes from my first one. Look for it in the coming weeks.

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Oct 07, 2007, 09:44 PM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Congrats Adam! Sound like she is a fun bird to fly around.

I have not heard the CK story about catching a ritewing. Can someone fill us in? I'm sure it is a good story. I used to catch my Zagi-60.... but have always been to scared to even attempt the TL50.
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy
Old Oct 07, 2007, 10:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
glad to hear of your success Adam! Looking forward to your build log on the 48.

I'm torn on what to build next, the slice or the FS48
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 07, 2007, 11:00 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Charger if you have a 5.5/4.5 throw it on there.A cc 35 will be fine.The static load might be around 42 amps but it unloads to the low to mid 30's.The only reason I put such a small prop on mine is because I only had a 25 a esc.All of my older mega 3 turn setups used to run a 5.5/4.5 on a cc 35 w no probs at all.
I thought you had a 35 amp esc in there didnt you?It will really come to life with the 5.5 /4.5
That is what Iam gona run once i get a new cc35.

ck
Quote:
Got to burn a couple of packs today in my new Slice!! After I got it dialed, wound up being a very fun little bird!! Tracks like a bigger RiteWing with snappy roll rates. Good run times at fun speeds. The things that make this one different for me is......Nice it just runs on one three cell batts.......because its a light but powerful RiteWing, it's the easiest one I've launched yet....I feel the invert is the truest of any plane I've flow, meaning, once you get it trimmed up for level flight and flip to invert.......it's pretty danged close to flying level. It's salmonable A very nice addition to the hanger..........Thanks Chris!!
Old Oct 08, 2007, 12:21 AM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
OK Boss................I started with a 5.5 X 4.5 and the whattmeter went to 45 amps. It sounded like it meant bussiness. I switched ESC's to a CC 35 before I flew. I hadn't run this set up on 25C batts before and was a little afraid of a total shut down, but I do need more power, so will give it a try. Thanks!!
Old Oct 08, 2007, 12:31 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Just vent it bud you will be fine dude.And you will love it
ck
Quote:
OK Boss................I started with a 5.5 X 4.5 and the whattmeter went to 45 amps. It sounded like it meant bussiness. I switched ESC's to a CC 35 before I flew. I hadn't run this set up on 25C batts before and was a little afraid of a total shut down, but I do need more power, so will give it a try. Thanks!!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:17 PM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Just vent it bud you will be fine dude.And you will love it
ck
OK.........vented the hood............and dropped in a CC 45 for good measure. Went to the 5.5 X 4.5 and 3s 25C 3700's ( got some lead out ).........and flew it You were Rite, The TL Slice 40 is a swift little rock solid bird that handles great too.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:30 PM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
CK Demon 40 Maiden

Been tied up on weekends lately and finally got a chance to maiden my CK built Demon. It's the same frame as Chris' deep cord monster http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751571 This isn't a good plane for your first wing Feels like your tossing up a heavy javelin, but once it's in the air, it's pretty agile. I can't believe the float with this plane!! Didn't have much time, but did get a few WOT passes in burning up a set of 6s'........and rock solid. That Mega 16/25/3 handles 6s very well. Nice to get a 1000 watt plus RW back in the air. I had the rates a little high and need to adjust the thrust angle a little, but that's being real picky...........Thanks again CK another well engineered work of art
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
getting my HET4 back repired for $16 bucks so guess the fs48 is next on the block...

The miniFS is dialed in and im happy with the 100 to 150watt running nice parkflyer...

Adam did you slit the wing or cut out the verts.. just tring to see what will be best Im thinking of a hybred version to get them back a bit farther but retain the canted foward original look...
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:13 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Call me before you build the fs 48 buddy,I have a few ideas.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
getting my HET4 back repired for $16 bucks so guess the fs48 is next on the block...

The miniFS is dialed in and im happy with the 100 to 150watt running nice parkflyer...

Adam did you slit the wing or cut out the verts.. just tring to see what will be best Im thinking of a hybred version to get them back a bit farther but retain the canted foward original look...