HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2007, 01:14 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Tim I like mine at 6' inches,it rocks dude.Mine has a cc 25 a mega 3 turn and 5.25/4.75 prop and one 3s 3700 lipo.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Tim Nunn
Hey C.K. r u and me the only ones flying the slice, whats ur c g at with the bigger batt how much power r u taking off w,mines about half power,i tryed to get a pylon race w the slice people r unsure of it ,it turns like nothing ive ever flown keep up the good work
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2007, 01:15 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Adam keep tweakin you will get it bro
ck
Old Oct 01, 2007, 12:13 PM
Phoenix
Joined Aug 2006
175 Posts
Hey Adam,

I've been pm'n you and shot you a few emails. Get back to me man....

Sorry for hijacking this thread!

Awesome looking FS BTW Tim!
sloonz is offline Find More Posts by sloonz
Old Oct 01, 2007, 01:33 PM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
I've seen Tim's FS in person and let me tell you, it is incredible! I love the color scheme. It really pops! Great job Tim!

Adam - great build as usual. Diggin the overall scheme. Keep us posted on getting it dialed in.
reefboy is offline Find More Posts by reefboy
Old Oct 01, 2007, 01:38 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Hey bud did your mini fs seem to have poor elevator efect when it was nose heavy at first didnt it Scott?
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefboy
I've seen Tim's FS in person and let me tell you, it is incredible! I love the color scheme. It really pops! Great job Tim!

Adam - great build as usual. Diggin the overall scheme. Keep us posted on getting it dialed in.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 02:20 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
CK,
I had it tail heavy (fun flights haha) at first and then nudged it up to a point where it was flyable. I haven't flown it on the nose heavy side (that I know of). I think I have been bordering tail heavy for most flights.

Mine will get a bit mushy when I'm flying slow. Maybe you need to fly it faster

* When the FS does crash it tumbles / cartwheels like no other wing! I'm sure that is also a good thing to dissipate energy.

* Chris might have said this before, based on my experience which might be off-base from being slightly tail-heavy, sloppy build, etc. I wouldn't recommend glide tests! Even in flight if I cut power completely it flies totally different and does not glide well! If power is moderated and even with low power it flies totally different. Not to be confused with thrust issues though. I found the CG needed for good glide tests was quite different for CG needed for powered flight. Again I might be off-base but I found this to be true for myself.

-Scott
Old Oct 01, 2007, 05:10 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
My skyvak was the same way .It flys different w power on ,if you dial it just for glide is will need some fine tweakin to get her polished.
Ck
Old Oct 01, 2007, 07:39 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
thanks guys on the color scheme; I sort of stole the color combo from a tower trainer that I thought looked good.

I never made it to the glide tests yesterday. judging from the comments it might be better that I didn't. maybe this week at lunch or something. Scott, you game for tuesday?
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 01, 2007, 08:31 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Maiden take II

Things went much better today, as of now I have the CG roughly a half inch behind the LE. It still needs some tweaking though.

I only got two packs through it so I need more stick time with her. I would of flown a couple more but my Vert stabs came loose and were moving around so I packed it up and called it a success.

So far I can say that this bird really cuts the air, very slippery. It holds its speeds in really tight turns, makes for fun yank and banks. Loops are good. Rolls are very axial, but I need to turn up my rates to make them quicker.

The FS should'nt be compared to the TL or demon in any sence. My rates are a 80-90% on the elevator, and 90-100% on the aileron. I am seconed hole up from the bottom on the control horn. I needed about 4-5 clicks of up when having the elevons level with the wing.

Nothing set in stone as far as rates and CG but I am getting closer. Just need more airtime.

She really looks good in the air and is a blast thus far.

A funny thing happened while flying that has'nt ever happened at this field. A bird, looked like a predatory bird was after my plane, It seemed like it was playing more then it was aggressive. It was cool, when I'd go vertical it would follow but stall out soon after and sorta hammerhead then come back around for another pass. It played with the FS for a minute or two and gave up.

Fun times.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Oct 01, 2007, 08:41 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
adam,
Congrats!

One word of caution... I saw Paul's go into a flat spin in Elk Grove. I have put my mini-FS into a flat spin. I think I climbed, cut power, and put the stick in a corner. My intent was to come spinning down vertically. It went into a quick spin and then into a flat-spin. I didn't try to get it out to much. At some point it was coming down flat and figured it would be okay and better then having it come out pointed straight down w/o enough time to recover... In the end there was no damage done. Chris suggested adding power and holding a bit of down in to get it out. Now I just need to try it again and get it out. Will be a cool maneuver!

The bird attack... Must be a Sac thing as Eric has had a hawk attack him a few times now. He also went slow and put it into a dive and the hawk dove after him. Both times the hawk initiated the attacks.
Old Oct 02, 2007, 01:32 AM
Lurkus Maximus
United States, NY, Farmington
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
no skillzzz :)

I just wanted to pass on my deepest regards for the massive skill it takes to build these wings rite!

I've watched the build vid a couple of times, some chapters more than that. Tonight I took my first stab at cutting in with my foam cutting soldering gun thing.........
Holy crap that is hard! How do you make it look so easy Chris? I dunno if I could pass it off as well as you after 1000 tries

Lemme say it will work, but I'm glad I'm practicing on a couple of Ebay 2nds first. Hopefully the Henry's will cover up my butchering and make her look passable.

Practice, practice, practice, I guess....

Pete
Dauthi is offline Find More Posts by Dauthi
Old Oct 02, 2007, 01:41 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Hi Pete just take your time and practice like you said buddy.If you want real performance you gots to build it .
ck
Old Oct 04, 2007, 11:53 PM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
Slice!!

Picked up the two planes CK has been building for me. Thought I post a quick pic of the top side of the Slice.............It is Beautiful and extremely strong I'll definitely be posting more on this! Thanks Chris!! Your builds are incredible!!
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
Old Oct 06, 2007, 03:35 PM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
Here's a couple more pics of my CK Slice...........figured I'd better get the shots while it's still shiny
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
Old Oct 06, 2007, 03:51 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,449 Posts
Nice wing Charger! Keep us posted as to how it flys.
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer