SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:55 AM
Fatboys can fly
Greeneville TN
Joined Apr 2007
74 Posts
Cool,I'll call you soon for some batterys and whatever else I can scrounge up some cash for.
Mark Mc is offline Find More Posts by Mark Mc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:58 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Sounds good bud.The 4s works great on larger props but when prop'n down the 3 turn really wakes up.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mc
Cool,I'll call you soon for some batterys and whatever else I can scrounge up some cash for.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Sep 25, 2007, 01:06 AM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Ok,I need to ask.
Has any of you guys besides Tim nun flown the 40 slice?
I few the one Adam made me tonight.
I have ben blown away ever since,Auw of 28 oz.
This little beast is one of the best handling wings
I have ever flown,it tracks like a demon heavy with only 1/3 the weight.
I will rip turns so tight that it left me shakin in my shoes.

When I let it go strait,and it would disapear in a plit second.
I Was absolutley a mind blowing flight.I have never flown anything so lite that tracked that well ever.
Here are my spex,with dirt cheap drivetrain.
This is the fastest best handling wing,that I have ever flown for such cheap setup.
The gear could be even cheaper then what
I have installed.
I am sorry that i am tootin my own horn ,but this thing was just absolutely sick.
I might have to cut some up and do a sale on them.
ck

mega 16 15 3
apc 5.25/4.75
cc 25
xtream rx
2 hs 85 I think
I will get some pix tommorow
1 old tired 3s 3700

Sounds like you have another winner here Chris. Being able to get that sort of performance with relatively low cost electronics will attract a lot of flyers and buyers.
Congratulations!

Rod
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:35 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Chris called me all ecstatic after the flight! It was funny, I have never heard him so excited about something.

The way he was going off about the plane is the way we do when we call him after the first flight all giddy like a school girl.

I have had my slice half finished for months. I installed a stripped servo by mistake and did'nt realize it till I went to cover it

So Chris got me motivated to finish mine up. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get it going.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:44 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Fs48

Getting excited here!!!

glassing and covering the fuse was quit a task. It should be done in pieces with lots of relief cuts. It would be best to use some spray adhesive to tack the fuse, then cover in glass, then dump the spray 90 on there.

Here are some pics!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:53 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
yo

Adam that looks sweet.BTW I usually put a good tack coat of 90 down when doing the fuse,it makes it way easier w out buggers on you hands.LOL
ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:28 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Ya the miniFS is a tad harder cuz there are smaller surfaces to wrap the henrys around

I have my mini at about the same spot as your build. Im covering right now..

and CK i have a battery bay large enough for a 3300 2s 20c pack
maybe even could jam a 4s hahahaha Actually i buuilt it big to acomidate diffrent packs.. but with the 1500 20c in there it is balencing with no lead. with the pack moved back so once the covering and such is done it should balence witout lead with the 2100 pack..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:26 AM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Adam,
Looking great! Can't wait to see it fly next time we get a small ritewing group together!

Paul,
How much carbon did you put in the FS wings? One round spar or the carbon sticks?
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:19 PM
Upland, CA
Joined Mar 2007
593 Posts
Atom I think I'd be scared to see that in day light. Make sure everyone is wearing sun glasses when you bring that out. Looks great almost as eye shattering as Chris'.
swoof is offline Find More Posts by swoof
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:48 AM
Newport, NC
Joined Jun 2007
68 Posts
Hey C.K. r u and me the only ones flying the slice, whats ur c g at with the bigger batt how much power r u taking off w,mines about half power,i tryed to get a pylon race w the slice people r unsure of it ,it turns like nothing ive ever flown keep up the good work
Pilot Tim Nunn is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Tim Nunn
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:43 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Shes ready to fly! The airframe without batts came to 22oz. With 3s2p4200 TP packs I had to add 8oz of lead to balance So an AUW of 40.5 is not bad, but could be improved upon.

So here are some thoughts to make attaining cg easier,

You can cut the motor in a few inches.

Use a lighter motor such as the JGF outrunners,

Get your servos in the fuse ahead of the cg, there is not enough room to do this if you are running x2 3s 2100's. If you ran a 3s 3700 or greater you'd have room to fit the servos in the fuse.

Chris can also make the fuse longer to move your batts forward, drawback would be a weaker fuse. Or he can make the fuse wider to fit more gear up front.

I have a seconed one I am building for a fellow member and will try some of these techniques to attain cg with less lead.

Going to fly in a few hours! Wish me luck!
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:01 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,435 Posts
Good luck Adam!

Rod
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:37 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
mini FS done, auw 18oz with 2 oz lead in the nose. test glides today.

I used Scott's fin template increased by 30% area to help to avoid the deadly spin.
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:33 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Looks good Tim!

As for the FS48 maiden.....

It had a few good tumbles but the plane has no Damage aside from a wrinkle.

It really needs some work before the next maiden, We thinks its nose heavy?

First launch went nose down, had no elevator and did a nice smooth belly flop on the grass.

So I gave it a few clicks up elevator increased the throws and tried again. She flew, but she was flying away and over houses with very little control

So I eased her around in a huge circle afraid to give it any major input as I don't know what shes going to do. Brought her in for a hot, fairly smooth landing. She felt real mushy, so I increased the rates yet again.....

Launched her and then aborted, Prop was still spinning when she hit and both halves of the prop broke off! The plane jumped and tumbled a couple times!

At this point I decided to call it a day, the plane survived and would live for another day.

So I am going to drop some lead, try a smaller prop as the torque roll was very noticable, and go to a bigger field. Don't know when but sometime this week or next weekend.

So the maiden was not successful but not fatal. So we will have Maiden take two shortly.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmq_NTeqG8
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd