HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2007, 09:56 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,984 Posts
Adam - thanks for this thread... Going back to read through when I get some more free time, but wanted to drop a note for other 'ritewing' newbies...

I've got two sets of cores from Chris' last 'cleaning shop' deals on ebay and I've always wanted to build a wing the 'rite' way, but never could get the nerve up. I've watched the video and had it playing in the background a number of times while doing other chores, but never took that step...

In total I've got the two 40" cores, a 30" beta wing that I was going to use in the 100mph/20amp contest (life got in the way...) and a 22" mini-demon that was also going to be in the contest... since the contest I've still just never gotten around to it because of a lack of confidence...

This last week I started building an el-cheapo wing ($19.00) and decided to go ahead and try the 3M90 deal...

When I say it was refreshing I'm not kidding... This was so easy and straightforward that I can't wait to do a whole rite wing using this method (I only glassed the center section w/ the henry's cloth).

Alternatively, I've got a huge roll of roofing cloth that is black in color and will be trying that as well. It looks 'exactly' the same as Henry's does in the 'fiber' but is black in color. A friend in the roofing biz told me that it was the same stuff, just different company...

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2007, 10:08 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Mike, thanks man. I have done the same thing and picked up a pair of 40's and a 50 from ebay. Sweet deal from Chris, but I haven't even watched the video or started the build on these. Have always been intimidated by the process. Been talking with Atom a lot since he is building a 60 for me. I need to watch that vid and get off my tail and just do it. Glad you posted this. I heard it from Atom, now you and I need to just go for it and build a wing.

Thanks again.
Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 03, 2007, 03:12 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Just build em' guys!

The build seems intimidating at first but ther is reall not much damage you can do that cant be fixed easily!

The first one is'nt always pretty but you learn so much the seconed turns out much better! Each one gets better after that.

Just remember, keep it lite behind the CG, one layer of glass! Hose that sucker down with the 3M90, don't be shy with it!

You'll have a blast!
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Sep 03, 2007, 03:36 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
We all gotta have bad days once in a while

So did ya get the 50 down safely? Did you check the prop adapter? Could it be loose?

What happened with the FS, did it fly at all?

Good luck at the races!!!

Adam
never got the 50 in the air the motor quit on the 3rd rev before launch.. It looks like the shaft is spinning in the magnet so i may have cracked it or Um I duno.. i will pull it apart as it is a repaired mega been in the shop one time already for a loose wire inside one phase was dead.

The fs i think is too tail heavy CK warned that the V1 would need to be about 1/2 and inch in fromt of the wing mine was just at the wing.. I have to pull a servo that striped (I have video i will post it..) it was not pretty although the best way i found to launch was a side arm full throttle launch it just lifted out of my hands and imidiatly started to climbe as i was fumbling for the trin to crank about 20 clicks of down into it I stalled it (I had also cut the throttle way back) so it fluttered down after a tip stall kinda into a flat spin at the end just befor contact

I did ok I guess it was a track day so more like a road cource than a xcross and i could not beat my son ran 1 sec all day behind him.. He has a SRT8 Charger and i have a 94 Miata (Stock) .. I think i did OK.. i was beat by another miata that turned 10 sec's less on the cource (He was hauilin butt)

We had a great day today. so better a bad day with the wings than a bad day with the cars..

The wings are simpler to fix and i do not drive them to work.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Sep 03, 2007, 04:04 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Rite on Paul glad you had fun at the races! Hopw you get the bugs worked out of the FS.

In other news I got the TL50 repaired and recovered today! Took me all day!

I am not ecstatic about the colors, I really like the old look but hey its what I had on hand and its not to shabby. Repair was simple, just a butterfly bandage of glass over the 2" tear and she was as good as new! The remaiden should be tomorrow.

Adam

And yes that is 150' x 3' roll of Henrys on the ground!
Thats a $220 savings compared to buying 36 rolls of the 6"x25' rolls!
Old Sep 03, 2007, 03:47 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Good new on my mega 16/15/4 i was able to pull it apart and the shaft was spinning in the magnet so cleaned everything up with denatured alcohol and locktighted it all back in place.. Motor is running like a champ..

What a simple fix it was..

I like your big yellow roll... Have you had a chance to play with it yet. how hard is it for you to work with it...

I still think it is a giant money saver.. especially if your bulk building like you and CK.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Sep 03, 2007, 04:42 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Have'nt used it yet but I'll report my findings!

Definite money saver!!!
Old Sep 03, 2007, 06:44 PM
Newport, NC
Joined Jun 2007
68 Posts
HEY ATOM , getting ready to build a 40 demon any advice this #2 ,#6 build on wings ,3- 50s ,1- 40, 1- 40 slice,
Pilot Tim Nunn is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Tim Nunn
Old Sep 03, 2007, 07:17 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Depends on what you are aiming for?

Main thing is think lite behind the CG. Keep all your gear as far forward as possible.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:15 PM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
Really hate to post this..............I was going to California to fly with Atom1025 and punkrockd this weekend and just had to go out and dial my new TL a little tighter.........It was flying perfect!! I felt so cofident I was doing an inverted pass about 85mph about 5 feet off the ground and decided to roll back to right side up. If I would have been 10 feet off the ground, no problem, but major belly flop.........not much damage to see, but the main spar snapped in two places and the batteries look like silly putty.......25C 4s 3700's 3 months old Rich says the ABC's of flying are Alway Be Crashin'...............never learn anything unless you're pushing it Sorry Chris.....looks like I'll be building those 2 TL 50 kits I got from you sooner than I thought.
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:23 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Dude I am so bummed for you

I was looking forward to the meet and greet.

You should give the plane a burial! Make an epp headstone and give it blessings! RIP

Adam
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:54 PM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Sorry Charger! I have felt your pain.

Someone needs to host a build party. We can all get together and build our Ritewings. Who has a big enough garage? Let's all just show up at Chris's uninvited We should be able to bang them out pretty quick rite? Call it a long weekend.
reefboy is offline Find More Posts by reefboy
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:05 AM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
You know.......I really feel bad when something causes a crash and I can't figure out what happened. But there's a feeling of extra excitment when you're flying on the edge............it doesn't always have a happy ending though.

Yeah......lets go to Chris'.............he's got boatloads of supplies
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:06 AM
Purples a fruit
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
i call it unintentional dihedral

bummed that we wont meet this weed end.
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:24 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefboy
Sorry Charger! I have felt your pain.

Someone needs to host a build party. We can all get together and build our Ritewings. Who has a big enough garage? Let's all just show up at Chris's uninvited We should be able to bang them out pretty quick rite? Call it a long weekend.
Unfortunately the beer would keep us from getting much done