HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:05 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof
Is the fact you haven't crashed anything because you haven't had the oprotunity to crash anything? AHAH just messing with you.
LoL.....H8r
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:17 AM
Fast is good
USA, IN, Hagerstown
Joined Oct 2003
354 Posts
Dvd

Is the build DVD needed?
Is it recomended?

Jeff
jrplane is online now Find More Posts by jrplane
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:56 AM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, ME, Mapleton
Joined May 2005
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrplane
Is the build DVD needed?
Is it recomended?

Jeff
Highly recommended. The build method outlined in the DVD makes Ritewings unique and able to perform at levels that other wings can't. When you purchase a Ritewing, the DVD is included.

Eric
e2346437 is offline Find More Posts by e2346437
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:26 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkz

One question: Can I build the 45" and 50" slice with carbon strips instead of the carbon tubes that came with the kit? I think the glassing will ensure the plane remains stiff. I was thinking of using the A-Frame approach with the strips.
Use the tube for the central spar, the carbon strip can be used in the wings if done properly. I have not seen the results crashes to determine if one is more crash worthy then the other,

My lightning hit so hard the servos shattered but the frame is structurally sound.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,300 Posts
Quote:
Is the build DVD needed?
Is it recomended?
There is a ton of information in this thread.. and depending on what level builder you are, you could probably be fine with what's on this thread..

However, I *believe* (I could be wrong) that the DVD comes with a kit purchase..

I am very glad I got the DVD.. Pictures are worth a thousand words.. Moving pictures gotta be worth ten thousand..

Chris did a great job in the video and Paul did a great job editting it.. Get it!

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkz
Well, let's review what we DO know:

1. You built the plane. I'm guessing you built it light because there are sections here an there where there isn't any glass.

I think that pretty much summarizes the life of your little sportster...except for one more thing. You'll just have to wait for me to get the proof I need. Hopefully I can do it tomorrow.
Yes it was a lite build.. so there may be areas that did not have any glass...

Im sorry about you problems actually i feel your pain... I had the same exsperaince when i flew my first ritewing

Determination and a high tolarance to pain helps..

Tram, Thank you for the compliment... The DVD was a labor of love..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
Canada
Joined Jun 2006
384 Posts
Well Hawkz, you now know that Sportster is definitly not a good choice as your first Ritewing.

The only reason that mine is still flyable is that I pounded the living snot bubbles out of my $19.00 Wild Wing over and over and over again to the point that it was more glue then EPP before I even flew my Sportster. And I still had a mild crash on my 5th or 6th flight with my Sportster but it was my one and only crash of any kind with this little evil, snappy, adrenalin overloading thing called a Sportster that I love sooo much

Hawkz, I have to ask, why did you remove the MD? I think it's the best motor for this plane. Was it damaged in the crash?

Ed
methos is offline Find More Posts by methos
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Fast is good
USA, IN, Hagerstown
Joined Oct 2003
354 Posts
Lt 60

TL 60,

What would be a target weight be.
jrplane is online now Find More Posts by jrplane
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:40 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
TL 60,

What would be a target weight be.
50 to 60 oz's
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2006
719 Posts
L36 finished & ready for action
ukpaul is offline Find More Posts by ukpaul
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:02 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
That is sweet, it looks like a wing from the Austin powers movie,GROOOVI'E BA BE.
You wont loose that one
ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpaul
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:14 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I love Yellow and Pink two colors that dont seem to wash out when you fly....

Exalent job on the covering
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:23 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpaul
Outstanding build, looks very smooth and I couldn't find any panty lines

The covering is magnificent, awesome job and color selection, I really dig how you outlined the yellow with black, is this just electric tape or covering? Regardless it looks fantastic.

Now, how bouts an AUW? My guess is 24oz?
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:34 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Very well done Paul, looks sweeeet.
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
MD motor

Yah, I found out too late (after I bought the wing from PaulVi, that the sportster is not a beginner's plane. But once it was in my hands, I couldn't let it sit around, considering it costed a couple of bills.

As for the microdan, I benched it because one of the screws for the custom motor mount stripped and is completely loose in the mount. I've since bought an extra mount from Dan at GoBrushless.com and will try that motor again. I hope it's not broken. If it doesn't spin completely smoothly, what should I do? I know Dan has a warranty on his motors....but mine's been crashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methos
Well Hawkz, you now know that Sportster is definitly not a good choice as your first Ritewing.

The only reason that mine is still flyable is that I pounded the living snot bubbles out of my $19.00 Wild Wing over and over and over again to the point that it was more glue then EPP before I even flew my Sportster. And I still had a mild crash on my 5th or 6th flight with my Sportster but it was my one and only crash of any kind with this little evil, snappy, adrenalin overloading thing called a Sportster that I love sooo much

Hawkz, I have to ask, why did you remove the MD? I think it's the best motor for this plane. Was it damaged in the crash?

Ed
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz