Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:04 PM
Electric Advocate
big Apple
Joined May 2008
74 Posts
Grayson Hobby controller too weak

Finally after two and half months, the MiG-29 thrust vectoring profile is delivered.

Grayson Hobby's speed controller has a very weak 6V radio power output. After I connect two HS-81 servos, the control voltage drops so low that the airplane gets into a schizo crazy mode! My other lower Amp controllers won't have any problem supporting twi HS-81 servos.

Well, I took off one servo and its rod. What a waste and imbalanced!

But there you go. It's officially delivered to my son for test flight.
New Yorker is offline Find More Posts by New Yorker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:59 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yorker
Finally after two and half months, the MiG-29 thrust vectoring profile is delivered.

Grayson Hobby's speed controller has a very weak 6V radio power output. After I connect two HS-81 servos, the control voltage drops so low that the airplane gets into a schizo crazy mode! My other lower Amp controllers won't have any problem supporting twi HS-81 servos.

Well, I took off one servo and its rod. What a waste and imbalanced!

But there you go. It's officially delivered to my son for test flight.
I suspect you are right about the Grayson 30A ESC. I've been using the same ESC with 2 HS56HB for the ailerons and 2 HS65HB for the elevators. I use a Spektrum AR6100 receiver and my Mig appeared to go into a radio reboot the other day, just as I was on the down part of a loop at full throttle Lost all control and the plane went full throttle straight down from about 50 feet. There was a big puff of foam bits and everything from the back of the cockpit forward is simply gone and my battery is now about a 1/2" shorter. 2.4GHz (not just Spektrum) radios are known to have problems like this when the voltage drops too low. I don't know why it suddenly happened, I wasn't doing anything too extreme, just a loop. Anyway, when I rebuild it (and I will), I'll be putting a separate BEC in and disabling the one from the ESC. And a new battery of course...

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:43 PM
Electric Advocate
big Apple
Joined May 2008
74 Posts
Awesome maiden

A hot sunny afternoon in Bronx, there were not that many people in Van Cortlandt Park. The huge meadow was all ours.

Can this sucker fly? That was the question in all of our minds.

Elevator: check! Ailerons, check! Dad, keep your hands away from the proppellers. Throttle, check!

I lifted the foamie back of the MiG-29 and throw it into the air, just like Dave showed us in the video. Man that was dangerous. The MiG almost hit the ground. My plane is way too heavy! And the test pilot 10-year-old Lt. Allen Zheng was too good at non-Thrust Vectoring planes but TV ones. He pulled up too abruptly every move. Then it stalled.

But the plane can land at any speed! Its wing can carry it down for a safe, soft landing even without any air speed, just like VTOL!

Next few flights, I threw the MiG-29 TV from its belly. And the pilot became fluent in maneuvering the Thrust Vectoring. Man, It was awesome! It stayed in mid air!!!

Shortcoming: My MiG-29 TV was way too heavy: 20 Oz. The thrust (about 20 Oz on a 6X4 prop) can't push the body away from all tough situations. It has metal hinges, 1800 mAh LiPO, three large wheels, piles of foam with epoxy to support servos and horns, epoxy all over the wings (looks like fiberglass!) and Epoxy nose cone. For a plain old non-Thrust Vectoring aircraft, this 1:1 thrust to weight ration is enough. But for a TV, it does Cobra or turn to the opposite direction all the time. I feel like we need a 1.4:1 ration to recover from some difficult tumples at low altitude.
Last edited by New Yorker; Sep 08, 2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: The maiden flight video is too hard to upload!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:55 PM
Electric Advocate
big Apple
Joined May 2008
74 Posts
Thanks Dave Powers!

Dave,

You have brought all of us into the world of Thrust Vectoring! Once we see "the Thing" tembling in the air and hanging in the air, there is no way back to the plain old non-TV planes!

Why did you quit selling the foam kit? I know we did not pay you much money, that's for sure.

Today my son flew the 11th time and he does the Cobra all the time!

This thing can do verticle landing!
Last edited by New Yorker; Oct 12, 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: More awesome flights
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:33 AM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
New Yorker,
Very nice build! Wow, good to hear you guys got it flying so well now. You got a really talented little pilot there.

We stopped making kits cause it was just too time consuming to keep up with. Not so much the cutting, but all the ordering, stocking, and costumer service emails. 100 hour work weeks. Now we are able to get back to designing and videos. Got some good stuff on the way for our weekly YouTube videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...=RCSuperPowers

Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:31 AM
Electric Advocate
big Apple
Joined May 2008
74 Posts
Stronger motor mount needed

After many abrupt Thrust Vectoring flights, we found that the foam body can take abuses during a rough landing. But the motor mount and the foam elevator assembly is by far not strong enough.

For a 7x5 prop and a strong ESC, the motor will generate about 35 oz of thrust. Even the recommended 6x4 prop, the thrust will be more than 21 oz. When you make a sudden turn, the force on the assembly will be many times of that 21 to 35 oz = maybe more than 150 oz!

Can anyone make a plastic or aluminum elevator/motor assembly for all of our MiG-29 / F-22 TV fans?
Last edited by New Yorker; Jul 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:34 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2008
53 Posts
Just finished this one, built from plans. My first foamy. Maiden went well this morning.. wow was I nervous, but what a rush! Never got above half throttle. Need a lot more stick time to get comfortable! C.G. was about 15" back, and flew nice... Great job on the plans and website RCPowers!
Mellowdave is offline Find More Posts by Mellowdave
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:12 PM
Just one more flight...
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Hey cool, thanks! Great build, it looks very nice.
Old Sep 05, 2008, 05:26 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,074 Posts
Does anybody know where to find a SkyRider kit? The motor mount broke on mine and the prop came back and shredded half of the plane.

Failing a kit, are the plans going to be made available? I bought mine straight from Dave last year (I guess I was part of the problem) and almost bought two.

Thanks,

It was a LOT of fun while it lasted.

Marty
martimer is online now Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2008, 11:33 AM
Just one more flight...
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Oh very nice! Thats how mine end up look too! One more flight!
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:24 AM
Joined Feb 2005
97 Posts
So am I to understand that the scale version of the MIG-29 is no longer available??

Thanks,

Thomas
tppjr is offline Find More Posts by tppjr
Old Oct 06, 2008, 07:32 AM
Electric Advocate
big Apple
Joined May 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppjr
the scale version of the MIG-29 is no longer available??
Nothing is available now. Dave Powers quit making foam kits!
Old Oct 06, 2008, 01:04 PM
Just one more flight...
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Yep, no more kits from here. But the F-117 is being laser cut by www.RCFoam.com and also Grayson Hobby has some power packs for the F-117:
Power Combo:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...roducts_id=847
Old Oct 06, 2008, 01:58 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,074 Posts
Any takers on the RC Skycar? I want another chance...

(My hands are getting close to where I can trust them to knives and things, but for the time being cutting things is probably unwise for me. Thus a pre-cut kit is sort of necessary - as if anything in a hobby can be.)
martimer is online now Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member