Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 10, 2007, 10:02 AM
Buchanan Dam, TX
Joined Feb 2002
44 Posts
Discussion
GWS TM400, Pico Moth. Zero (Rufe) On Floats

A few pictures of my GWS Float plane fleet. started out with a Pico Moth with some built up floats it worked so well that I had to build up a couple of more planes. I next built a GWS Tiger Moth 400 (TM400) covered it with White Solite and Enlarged the floats to match the TM400 and covered them also with Solite. Built up a GWS Zero with Floats (Rufe). Got a chance to maiden them yesterday at a Club Float Fly. Both new planes have 400XT and Lipos. The TM400 turned out to be a real winner flew great and handled the breeze well, got many flights ot of it. The Zero (Rufe) tracked well and got up on step well and lifted off the water but pitched up once it broke water. I was not able to react quick enough to correct the flight attitude and it ditched in the water. I didn't get another chance to fly the Rufe may have suffered water damage to the ESC. Both the new plans had the ESC protected with Silicon Conformal Spray not Corrosion X but didn't seem to help with the dunking the Rufe got. Need to add some weight to the nose to correct the pitch problem and fix the ESC problem will try again. All my planes don't have water rudders. I will add water rudders to the TM400 and Rufe to help with the water handling in breezes. The two new planes got a good reception by the Club. The Pico Moth didn't handle the breeze well that we had yesterday but I now have a couple of planes to fly when the breezes are present.
ggray is offline Find More Posts by ggray
Last edited by ggray; May 10, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2007, 03:16 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Nice planes the Zero looks great -stick with it.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old May 11, 2007, 10:47 PM
Buchanan Dam, TX
Joined Feb 2002
44 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement Airboatflyingshp. An update on the Rufe problem I thought was caused by the ESC being dunked in water. I got a chance to look at the plane last night and found the motor would run but had a problem running consistently. The motor would stutter and if I would quickly throttle back then add power back on it would run Ok. When I would stop and try running it again it again would stutter a bit and I could get it to run smoothly buy repeating the throttle down and up quickly process. I guess I didnít get all the water out of the motor when I tried to run it earlier in the day. I donít know if anyone else has tried this but I shot some WD40 into the motor last night and let it drain overnight and it now runs like new. I originally thought the ESC had gone belly up but I guess the Silicone Conformal Spray I used on the ESC that I bought at Frys worked OK. Will keep a close eye on performance of the 400XT to see if there are any ill effects from the WD40 treatment. Would like to know if anyone else has used WD40 on their motors that have been dunked in water and how it worked for them.
Old May 12, 2007, 05:50 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
WD is wonderfull stuff for cars and bikes but it does leave a oily residue that can build up ..............my father had a GS850 suzuki MC and he regularly sprayed the switch gear, till it started smoking one day .............. try to find a more speciallist electrical, moisture dispersant/cleaner with a corrosion inhibitor.

One treatment will no harm it but it does attack some rubber and plastics........... so wait to see what others say. Have you seen Led Kittys thread? and the nice art work at http://www.ne.jp/asahi/airplane/museum/index-E.html
Ive couple of subject pic's
Old May 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
Buchanan Dam, TX
Joined Feb 2002
44 Posts
Hi again Airboatflyingshp, I have the same feeling that you have about WD40 not being the best solution for spraying on Motors. I wouldn't use this on my motors. I did a search to see what else could be used and found this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ors+protection
Brooks mentioned that he uses WD40 to on his water plane motors so I guess there is another person who has used it. Be interesting to see if any one else has any suggested products that they have used. The Silicone Conformal Spray I used has a waxy feel and I donít think I would use it on motors. I wish I has seen Led Kittyís threads before I worked on my Zero(Rufe), plenty of good reading in her threads and lots of prior experience to draw on. The Moth and Fairy 3f images you attached are nice would make some great models. I also enjoyed The Classic Airplane Museum site you suggested for inspiration.

Isnít the Internet great and isnít it nice to know that there are many people that share our interests around the world?
Old May 12, 2007, 11:53 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Wen it works well its fantastic .......................but its also sometimes frustrating and misleading...... its also very transitory if your looking for stuff. If you can clear the wd residues after a few appplicationsI cannot see a major problem it attracts particles and then thats where it starts to be a problem.
I cannoot remember but is that a Gypsy moth ? I have always liked the Puss Moth and the thought of one of those on floats or My DH71 is quite appealing.......... at first when I got the incomplete fuse and wing for some time I thought it might have been a Supermarine Schnieder... Ivan P pointed out the Dh clues.
Old May 12, 2007, 12:00 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Wen it works well its fantastic .......................but its also sometimes frustrating and misleading...... its also very transitory if your looking for stuff. If you can clear the wd residues after a few appplicationsI cannot see a major problem it attracts particles and then thats where it starts to be a problem.
I cannoot remember but is that a Gypsy moth ? I have always liked the Puss Moth and the thought of one of those on floats or My DH71 is quite appealing.......... at first when I got the incomplete fuse and wing for some time I thought it might have been a Supermarine Schnieder... Ivan P pointed out the Dh clues. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447286