Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 10, 2007, 08:18 AM
Pesky Landings!
Abergele, North Wales, UK
Joined Apr 2004
1,111 Posts
Discussion
AR7000 receiver without the satellite receiver?

Afternoon folks.

I have just been wondering what the implications of using the Spektrum AR7000 receiver without the satellite receiver plugged in? I am not sure if it would render the receiver useless, i.e. is the satellite receiver required for the AR7000 to operate? Or would the recevier still work, just without the benefits of running two receivers a small distance from each other?

Has anyone tried this at all?

Cheers
Andy
bigandy is offline Find More Posts by bigandy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2007, 09:12 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
The base receiver runs many quality checks before "linking" by giving you servo control. If the base is not getting matching frames from the satellite during these tests, it will not link.

So, no, you can't power up and fly this way. You can unplug the satellite after achieving link, this is just like the satellite failed (or was shadowed or whatever). The base will run on what it gets from its own antennas. But, next power cycle, no link...

Keep in mind the cables to the satellite are plugs, (a bit stiff, but they are plugs). So, this is all easy to verify with a few quick experiments.
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Old May 11, 2007, 05:08 AM
Pesky Landings!
Abergele, North Wales, UK
Joined Apr 2004
1,111 Posts
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try at the weekend, but if I have to plug in the satellite to get the rx to initialise correctly, it might be a bit of a hassle.

I am basically looking for being able to use 7 channels in an electrified DLG where space is at a premium. I guess I can always run the flap servos off a Y lead and use a AR6100 though

Cheers
Andy
bigandy is offline Find More Posts by bigandy
Old May 11, 2007, 08:13 AM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Be sure you use an updated 6100.

If still trying to 7000 the bird... have you considered de-casing the RXs? Should be OK in a glider. Perhaps that would gain a little space? And/or, you can extend the wire between them up to a meter. Perhaps put the satellite in a wing (or even the elevator)? If the wings are removeable, put a standard servo connector pair inline.
Old May 11, 2007, 09:37 AM
Denver, CO.
Joined Feb 2006
141 Posts
An AR6000 with it's 2 recvrs works good also. I was flying a Goldberg 120 Tiger with an AR6000, some Y's doing just fine until a friend of mine and I met about 100' off the ground. Total airframe loses. DX-7 xmttr.
TomLee is offline Find More Posts by TomLee
Old May 11, 2007, 09:27 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLee
An AR6000 with it's 2 recvrs works good also. I was flying a Goldberg 120 Tiger with an AR6000, some Y's doing just fine until a friend of mine and I met about 100' off the ground. Total airframe loses. DX-7 xmttr.
OMG, the DX7 Causes Mid-Air Collisions! It's obvious the 2.4G radio waves magically attracted the other aircraft. I KNEW this 2.4 stuff was too good to be true!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist with all the wierd posts in 2.4G threads!

Bummer about your midair.