HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2009, 10:33 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
824 Posts
Nice plan drawing! Thanks. No need to tile or scale this one. I wish more folks would do this, especially with the simpler foamies.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2009, 04:33 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Slater
What would be a good size for a BW 13 or 15
length an wing span
thank you for your time
Marty
Right now, I'm running the 2805/1600 on 2S 750 on a 16 incher that survived indoor and it's a bit porky, since for indoor I was using a 16g motor on 2S 350s. But, it's fun to fly. I'm thinking of going to 20" on my next outdoor version, with a fuse length of 22". That would give you 2.76 square feet of wing area and even at a flying weigh of 10 ounces, you'd have a wing loading of only 3.6 ounces per square foot. If your wattmeter says 60 watts or more, you'll have a winner.

Should mention............I cut the airfoil template from 3mm Depron using a steel ruler as a flexible French curve.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 10, 2009, 04:41 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Frank, a steel rule, the original Zip Zip airfoil ... It was claimed that a side of a shoe sole was used....
Now your just rubbing our noses it.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 10, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ceder Rapids,Ia
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
goldguy
thank you for the come back
i think the Drenalyn will be next up!!
THANK YOU for the nutball
it is always the FIRST to go in the truck
Marty
Marty Slater is offline Find More Posts by Marty Slater
Old May 11, 2009, 06:11 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Mar 2001
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The only thing critical about this design is to draw a straight line and keep the airfoil above it when making the template.
I am assuming that "a straight line" is the datum line from which the 5 degree downthrust is measured and that the two lowest points on the curve should touch it.

Secondly for clarification you refer to a CF strip the length of the fuselage as being "on edge" yet it appears to be shown on the plan as flat on the bottom. As edge down prevents vertical bending and flat down prevents horizontal bending clarification would be appreciated or perhaps just use a rod & prevent both!
ChrisE is offline Find More Posts by ChrisE
Last edited by ChrisE; May 11, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:09 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,996 Posts
Marty: If you like the NutBall and want to crank it up a notch, you'll love the Drenalyn. They're both loads of fun, but different to fly. The Drenalyn is 'yank n' bank' and will do more. It's a real good inverted flying machine, even at a crawl and I've seen guys cut their inverted flying teeth on them.

ChrisE: Yes on the line and the CF is inserted into the foam on it's edge into a slot. Using EPP you need something to prevent the fuse from bending to hold the airfoil shape. I've build them from 6mm Depron and seen other in FFF, and the stiffener is not required. If using Depron, keep in mind that it bends one way better than the other. If FFF or PB111 is used, place the ripple span wise.

Note that the plan was not done by a professional , just a doodle to hand around to the guys to get them off my back that ended up being posted.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; May 11, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Frank, I found another use for the 3mm x .5mm CF... I used in place of a steel rule to make my template
Old May 11, 2009, 08:33 PM
Ceder Rapids,Ia
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
goldguy that is all i needed to know
i have learned a little about this
bank n yank from gpw an dekan
love it love it
Marty
Marty Slater is offline Find More Posts by Marty Slater
Old May 11, 2009, 08:51 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,996 Posts
If you build light and keep the go button under control, the Drenalyn is a pussy cat. But, if you want to tear up the skies, it's very groovy and predictable, with no pitch sensitivity. This is where it has the edge on the Pizza Box Flyer. There's a video on Utube of a guy roaring around upright and inverted that shows that it flies on rails. Also, one flying in a living room, down the hall and into another room.

I've built lots of both and have experienced the difference. But, if Dekan gives it a go, that will be the real test, since he's just finished up a PBF and I think that it didn't quite live up to his expectations.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2009, 03:43 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Mar 2001
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Note that the plan was not done by a professional , just a doodle to hand around to the guys to get them off my back that ended up being posted.

We grab what we can. . Plan is actually very detailed it is just that the guys that you gave it to had seen your model, so knew what to expect, whilst we haven't. You know what they say - no good deed goes unpunished. Thanks for helping.
ChrisE is offline Find More Posts by ChrisE
Old May 12, 2009, 11:57 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I think the plan is very well done, my comment about the small errors that crept in, as I said is no problem once you start checking...

Some kit plans I have seen even have wing halves that are two different sizes...No they are not for controline models

The PBF is flying ok... but only in up to 7mph winds and it needed about 3degrees downthrust... it still climbs like mad if it's any windier,Needs a good hard pull to get it out of a fastish dive...
Old May 24, 2009, 07:13 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,996 Posts
I discovered the Drenalyn makes an excellent sloper yesterday. The wind was howling and the hill was inviting, so I chucked her off. Amazing!! Got some real boomers, it was like hitting the up button in a high speed elevator and with no throttle I could get hundreds of feet of altitude in seconds. On the face of the hill I could do everything backward or in one spot with minimum throttle, loops, rolls, inverted, snaps and spins.

Another plus for this fun great flying design.

So, when ya gonna give one a go? Anyone?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2009, 09:17 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Clinton Twp, MI
Joined Dec 2008
5,088 Posts
I have a Mini Jar built. My first elevon plane actually. I used the flexible motor mount but didn't secure the wires. when the motor split loose & spun it split the wires. 1st killed my 1300 BW, then didn't learn & put my 1700 on there & did the same to it before I realized my folly. So she sits idle atm. I must admit though... I cudn't control it worth a beans. But I know that it was because I had my CG almost 3 inches back from where it is supposed to be. Moved it wher it is needed & it flew much better but I still didn't have much control. Not being used to rudder on the lt stick didn't help much either.
I'm w/o a spare brushless atm. My only other BL is on my Blu51cd.
Thats why I am doing the Super Light Float Fart Dart for the IPS A.

Sloping a Drenalyn? I would LOVE to see vid of that!
Very cool!
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old May 25, 2009, 01:39 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,996 Posts
Those BW motors are a breeze to rewind and there's lots of info on doing it here on the zone. Look in the yellow pages and find a motor rewinder. Tell him what you doing and he'll probably reel you off some wire for free.

Next time someone shows up with a camera and it's windy I'll see what I can do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2009, 07:40 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,996 Posts
The Drenalyn...........still fashionable and still a contender. Pix from our fun fly on Sat. Spot landing in the wind on a two foot square table is no easy task.
RCG Plus Member