SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2009, 10:22 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,118 Posts
Guys, quick advice question if ya don't mind. I have an IPS "D" geared with a 2 amp GWS esc I was thinking about using for something. With a 900 mah 2s, what size plane would you recommend?
And I want to build one for the 1300 BW as well for some thumb training.

for good high alfa slow flight & the ability to sustain a hover, what would you recommend for a target power to weight ratio?

I am serious about using the BW and just kicking around the idea of the IPS.

your thoughts?
Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2009, 12:49 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
No length measurements ? Frank I can only find the WS on your planes...Mind you as somebody said they look a bit like a mini jar...with an airfoil... 4% section asper Gpw?
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 07, 2009, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,118 Posts
um...???
Old May 07, 2009, 01:41 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Do a search for Mini Jar Jimmy...
Old May 07, 2009, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Do a search for Mini Jar Jimmy...
Holy Dekan! You just opened up a whole new world of possibilities with the Jar search suggestion. Or should I say... opened up the flood gates!

That is such a simple neat concept.

in terms of the profile fuse & size of the tail feathers, seems to me as long as a certain criteria is met, it will fly, the rest would be personal preference eh?
I can see I'll be doing a bunch of research tonight on all the different variations. Hover, High AoA slow flight & the occasional loop in the front yard is all I'm lookling for atm. I am stopping by bz1mcr's after work to pick up a couple servo extn's & a mixer.

Last question would be.... uc airfoil like on the Drenalyn? Or Flat? what would you suggest with what I am trying to accomplish.

Between flying Gene's Stang with some dihedral & rudder & this idea here for training the thumbs I am working towards getting good enough to handle full out 3d in the yard .... someday...
But for now, the ability to just fly slowly around the yard & not go anywhere is the end goal.

Whatcha think?
Old May 07, 2009, 04:11 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Jimmy. Lazertoyz Tumble Bee is a Mini Jar clone http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/tumblebee.html . This has a flat wing...

I have built 2 of these planes.. they are quite lively a with a BW 1300Kv motor..
I have never built a Drenalyn.
Old May 07, 2009, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Jimmy. Lazertoyz Tumble Bee is a Mini Jar clone http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/tumblebee.html . This has a flat wing...

I have built 2 of these planes.. they are quite lively a with a BW 1300Kv motor..
I have never built a Drenalyn.
Yeah I remember looking at those. Hmm, good food for thought. Thanks for the good words man. It helps.
Old May 07, 2009, 05:00 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,290 Posts
Find a design that appeals to you, build as designed, build it light and then stick with it until you can learn everything it is capable of. Keep flying and keep repairing it until you acquire the skills before you move on to the next project.

For some proven designs using the IPS system, check www.electric.ukgateway.net
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 09, 2009, 12:22 AM
Qualicum Beach B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2008
85 Posts
Here is the plan I used for mine, thought I would post it up for all to use, thanks Frank (Goldguy) Happy Building All!!!

supraman359 is offline Find More Posts by supraman359
Old May 09, 2009, 01:30 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Very nice Job Supra....No excuses now!

Warning The drawing proportions are not to scale with one another Fus length 18" according to wing plan but 19.5" on fus side view but this should not prevent anybody building from the plans... Adjust accordingly..
Last edited by dekan; May 09, 2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 09, 2009, 11:41 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,290 Posts
Good eyes Dekan. I drew up the plan a few years ago and handed it around, and not one person mentioned what you noticed, and lots have been built from it. It's just that I had two different sizes on my mind at the same time. Still, that 1 1/2" is a total mystery to me. I think it's just that the arrow showing the start of the vert. stab should have come further forward. So, just adjust the length of the fuse box according to the wing span. Note that the box ends 1/2" shy of the rudder hinge line. That 1/2" is part of the rudder in order to use the solder iron hinge method. Good from a taped hinge as well.

The only thing critical about this design is to draw a straight line and keep the airfoil above it when making the template. I've used the same template for many different sizes by moving it along the line to shorten or stretch it out. So, the airfoil shape is not all that critical either.

If using EPP you'll need that front spar to force the proper bend at the LE. If using Depron, FFF or PB111, it's not required. Just make sure you get the grain right on those foams first by bending it both ways before you cut the wing out.

To attach the wing to the box I use the workbench edge and start at the TE first. I glue about 1/3 of the length at a time, only applying hot melt at the 90 degree joint of the wing and box on both sides.

I would also suggest the elevons be made wider, 3" for the smaller and 4" for the bigger.

The largest one I saw fly was a 30" made from 3mm Depron that had a loading of under 2 oz. per sq. ft, that could be slope soared from a slight bump in the ground. Honest, I'm not kidding.

Many thanks for the post Geoff. Might see ya today if I can talk the Gkids into it. But, that new Star Trek movie is here...........so, and they're both taller than me now.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; May 09, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 09, 2009, 11:54 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
No Biggie Frank, is the 5" Nose to Hi point dimension correct for the 17"WS?
Old May 09, 2009, 12:09 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,290 Posts
Just ran and checked my well used template and yes, it's 5".

Oh, and that 1 and 1 1/2" you see at the TE on the elevons, that's just added to the diameter of the circle for the overall length. You can't see the circle that well on the posted plan.

Like I said, there nothing really critical about this design at all. I've see many different ones from all skill levels of building and the only one with a problem is where he let the LE of the wing droop down below that magic line I mentioned. When corrected, it worked OK.

If you like inverted, this design loves it and can so inverted T n' G with ease.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 09, 2009, 12:32 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Thanks Frank.... I will cut myself a wing camber template for 17"

If I may be so bold....I suggest that you post the plan and your comments re the dimensions in the #1 post.... much easier to find for the prospective builder.....
Old May 10, 2009, 10:20 AM
Ceder Rapids,Ia
Joined Jan 2007
222 Posts
What would be a good size for a BW 13 or 15
length an wing span
thank you for your time
Marty
Marty Slater is offline Find More Posts by Marty Slater